Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all this Strava talk going around I thought it might be prudent to call out the return of the Demo 10K. It almost killed me last time and I didn't even get 10K. Actually slamming the PBR snowjnky gave me at the end almost did me in completely.

The mtbr.com gods have spoken to me and they have said we shall ride on March 19th and we shall meet at the demo lot. 8am ride time.

They want us to ride the following from the lot > the road to Ridge > down Aptos Creek fireroad (or a trail that rhymes with Makin') to sand point overlook > up Aptos Creek Fireroad > Ridge > Corral > Suffer Springs > Sawpit > up Tractor > Braille > back to the lot and repeat.

This will be a drop ride since it is such a long ride and at some point everyone is likely to have some sort of problem. I'd suggest using the buddy system. Just make sure to pair with someone who is about the same speed and will put up with your b!tching and whining when you are climbing up Tractor on the second lap.

Bonus point shall be given to folks riding with flat pedals or full face helmets or anyone who hits all the stunts along the way. A big ol atta boy will be your prize at the finish :D

Now go forth with your training, ie. stocking up on Pliny or some other godly beverages and or food to share for the post ride apres. Do not upset the mtbr.com gods or you shall be damned to an eternity of bud light drinking, road riding hell.

PS. for those who know not of this epic challenge 10K means 10,000 vertical feet of climbing. It involves several laps inside Soquel Demonstration Forrest (see above route). It's brutal.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
jeng said:
With all this Strava talk going around I thought it might be prudent to call out the return of the Demo 10K. It almost killed me last time and I didn't even get 10K. Actually slamming the PBR snowjnky gave me at the end almost did me in completely.

Anyway, I'm thinking middle March. Call it a training ride, call it an accomplishment, call it suicidal, it's the Demo 10K. What date and route is the call for this year? March 5, 12 or 19?

PS. for those who know not of this epic challenge 10K means 10,000 vertical feet of climbing. It involves several laps inside Soquel Demonstration Forrest. It's brutal.

Anybody interested in trying this yet again? Perhaps Francois can get this listed as a Strava event?
sorry brotha
I am in for the 19th for sure the other days are 50/50
no mid ride PBR this time I want the full 10K
Edit for date confusion.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
what does the full 10k look like? 2 or 3 full loops of every trail with road climb? Or do you have to add in starting from somewhere other than the parking lot to get the 10k? (some people ride from the coast, etc.)

·
padded
705 Posts
Did 4500' today and my legs are trashed, I could probably eke out 6 or 7k but can't imagine 10k. I don't think I'll ever be fit enough for that, at least not on 6 hrs of riding a week. Mad props to anyone who can survive it!

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
redmr2_man said:
what does the full 10k look like? 2 or 3 full loops of every trail with road climb? Or do you have to add in starting from somewhere other than the parking lot to get the 10k? (some people ride from the coast, etc.)
5K = Ridge>Braille>Up sulfer>down sawpit>up tractor>up ridge>down braille>parking lot. Do that twice.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
19th? That gives me more time to attempt to get into some sort of shape. lol
I might have to try this.

I don't think I'd be in for the full 10k, but I figure its worth a try at it.
:D

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
It looks like a brutal stopping point back at the trucks at 4800. So easy to pack up and head home. How many of you stop and eat and take an hour break? Or is it grab food and keep riding? I think 6k would be my breaking point, granny gear would get fantastic use that day!

I'm out for the 5th. Others work.

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
redmr2_man said:
It looks like a brutal stopping point back at the trucks at 4800. So easy to pack up and head home. How many of you stop and eat and take an hour break? Or is it grab food and keep riding? I think 6k would be my breaking point, granny gear would get fantastic use that day!

I'm out for the 5th. Others work.
An hour is definitely too long. I grab food, refill camelback and go.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
5th or the 12th and I'm definately in.

19th, I'm out

Bonus votes to those that have completed the 10k demo ride ;)

Dan - I think your ride comes up to about 4600 or 4800. Need to add a bit more to that. Unless you are counting Garmin's 10% bonus :)

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
grrrah said:
5th or the 12th and I'm definately in.

19th, I'm out

Bonus votes to those that have completed the 10k demo ride ;)

Dan - I think your ride comes up to about 4600 or 4800. Need to add a bit more to that. Unless you are counting Garmin's 10% bonus :)
This ride must include some grrrah! Let's focus on the 12th then Rafa!

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
grrrah said:
You're right. I got 4844 on our last 3 looper at Demo. Add in one bacon loop and we're golden.

·
more skier than biker
2,428 Posts
The 19th Annual Cool Mountain Bike race is on Sunday, March 13th.

If you guys did this on a day other than the 12th, you'd probably get some of us from the Sacto foothills (Folsom, Auburn, etc.) to come on down and give this a whirl. A bunch of my crew is signed up for the race...so doing the 10,000 K the day before is probably not an option..heh.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.