• Yes

Votes: 94 70.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 29.9%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
The Crow
944 Posts
In short a DW Nomad with ibis' beautiful, signature lines.

(Yip, I went there.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
My mate just got the intense 9651 EVO with over 200mm and loves it.

I would LOVE to see Ibis make a downhill bike with any size of wheel.

Im still not 100% sure about a 650b downhill bike in the UK even though the market seems to be testing it a fair bit.

·
[put something cool here]
177 Posts
For me "Demand" is too strong an expression, I am just completely happy with my trusted HD 160.

That said, if my HD frame gets under a truck tommorrow, I would need a new bike. If would then want to jump on the 650b track, I would want to look for more rear travel than 135mm. --> So I voted for YES above.

·
Ride in heat
374 Posts
I can't answer this poll without the feeling of being forced into this new "must-have" format. I'm happy with my 26 HD160, don't want it to pass away. And my fear is that if Ibis would be forced into this new wheel-size - 26ers will be gone forever...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My mate just got the intense 9651 EVO with over 200mm and loves it.

I would LOVE to see Ibis make a downhill bike with any size of wheel.

Im still not 100% sure about a 650b downhill bike in the UK even though the market seems to be testing it a fair bit.
They aren't going to make a downhill bike.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I can't answer this poll without the feeling of being forced into this new "must-have" format. I'm happy with my 26 HD160, don't want it to pass away. And my fear is that if Ibis would be forced into this new wheel-size - 26ers will be gone forever...
I agree but the writing is on the wall, manufacturers are moving away from 26". With that being the case if Ibis can make a mojo HD with the same travel and handling I'd probably get one for my next bike. I'm not interested in a short travel trail bike, want something that can take some abuse, jumps and drops.

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my 160 HD. Fantastic bike, and if anything happened to it I'd probably just buy another one. At some point in the future I'll likely want a new bike, and I'll test ride what's available at that time and make my decision as to what feels best, regardless of wheel size.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
I'm totally happy with my HD 160 as well. I'm just not as happy with tire choices right now. And all the totally cool tires that are coming out that would make me happy seem to not be coming out in 26" anymore. That makes me a sad panda.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm totally happy with my HD 160 as well. I'm just not as happy with tire choices right now. And all the totally cool tires that are coming out that would make me happy seem to not be coming out in 26" anymore. That makes me a sad panda.
You're saying they are more 27.5 tires choices then 26 today ? find that hard to believe and would expect the opposite for a bit longer... now, many carbon rims are only coming out in 29 and 27.5 (Ibis being the latest examples) maybe because carbon wheel benefit 29 the most, and well new bikes coming out are all 27+ these days.

Happy with my HD 160 as well and always thought the 130 HDR was a compromise and not a real 27.5.
That said I recently bought a Pike and decided to get 27.5/150/160 as I can still ride my 26" wheels on it and 27.5 sizing is future proofing it down the road or resale value... will borrow a friend 27 wheel and see if it's really worth getting a new front wheel at all (back too tight as I have the original HD). My guess not as it's really close in size...

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you are holding onto the 26" HDR 160 idea, it is already passed. Ibis still sells the bike in that configuration, (because it is easy to do it), but the vast majority of their sales are 650b. As stated above they aren't even making the new wheels in 26" and they don't even stock the 26" bike on their demo truck anymore. For new bike sales 650b has taken over 26" for Ibis and the market in general.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You're saying they are more 27.5 tires choices then 26 today ? find that hard to believe and would expect the opposite for a bit longer... now, many carbon rims are only coming out in 29 and 27.5 (Ibis being the latest examples) maybe because carbon wheel benefit 29 the most, and well new bikes coming out are all 27+ these days.

Happy with my HD 160 as well and always thought the 130 HDR was a compromise and not a real 27.5.
That said I recently bought a Pike and decided to get 27.5/150/160 as I can still ride my 26" wheels on it and 27.5 sizing is future proofing it down the road or resale value... will borrow a friend 27 wheel and see if it's really worth getting a new front wheel at all (back too tight as I have the original HD). My guess not as it's really close in size...
I expect within a year it will be surprising difficult to find 26" tires and wheel parts in most shops. They'll still be around, but a smaller selection for sure. Also, its highly doubtful that you'll find many new tires or wheels being manufactured in 26" size, other than DH/DJ applications.

It's amazing how much has happened just in the past year. Shops that last year only had 1 or 2 27.5 bikes in stock now only have 1 or 2 26" bikes. And they can't sell the 26" to anyone...

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I would guess so. I'd be amazed if their next bike wasn't a 27.5 somewhere in the 140-160mm travel range with a slightly lower BB and longer reach for a given size. I love my 26er too HD BTW. But they're in the business of selling bikes and need to make what the market wants. I like carbon, I like DW and don't like VPP and have some concerns with the Mach 6 so I'm realky hoping Ibis gets their act together.

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
It will be a looooooong time before 26" product vanishes. Hell, 24" rims and tires are still being sold, and that was niche when it was "popular" ten years ago. Full bikes and frames will go away sooner, but rolling 26" wheels in a 650B frame just means more mud clearance. I hear friction shifters are making a comeback too...

·
You Guys Riding?
640 Posts
Hows that working out for ya? Been thinking about doing the same thing. Are you running it at 150 or 160?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts