Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new here. Just bought a very basic single speed jump bike with the hope of getting fit & having some fun. All the odds are against me - I'm about to turn 50 & not the fittest bloke on the road. I'm slim, small stature & a bit creaky. I'd love to learn a few skills & improve my balance & core strength whilst having some fun on trails or maybe even a few jumps.
I'm a competent motorcyclist & have owned the odd mountain bike, but now I'd like to get into it a bit more before it's too late. Am I kidding myself? Should I resign myself to a pipe & slippers, or is there a chance I could participate without looking like Grandad trying to get down with the kids?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's people over 100 years old who've run marathons and even tri-athlons if i'm not mistaken. So riding a bike at 50 is not an issue. Using bikes is similar to going to a boxing gym, in the sense that, in a boxing gym, no one cares how you look or talk, or what race or religion you are. All that matters is that you do it and enjoy it. There is no age barriers. You can feel completey free and confidant about it.

I'm a pretty late starter too, i got my first bike at 34, i'm 35 now. First bike since i was a teenager anyway. I, weather permitting, try to do long rides every day. Bare minimum of 20 mile. The one thing i'v definitely noticed, is the age range. I'v seen groups of pensioners all on FS mtb's just having a leisure ride. The amount of people of older ages getting in to biking is unreal. It's no longer a niche dominated by kids, but a universal activity for everyone.

Maybe this is partly because lots of younger people are priced out of the industry? It is an expensive thing to get in to, especially for younger people.

Look at it this way, you'll improve fitness and health, increase your abilities, occupy your time, not just by biking but by learning about biking in general, new bikes/equipment/upgrades etc.. And most importantly, you'll have a smile on your face when your doing it. Just be prepared for financial hit, lol.. It doesn't start and finish with a bike.

My advice, jump straight and completely in to it and enjoy the hell out of it. Any age concerns you have are only existent your own head, and will quickly disappear, as though the industry itself demands it. Enjoy!

·
My little friends
652 Posts
No, not delusional at all. I'm 56 and have been mountain biking since the mid 80's; it's a passion rather than a hobby to me, and I cannot get enough of it. If you are lucky enough to be bitten by the bug in that manner, you will be rewarded by all the pain, suffering and exhilaration that mountain biking brings. I got my son involved when he was 12, and we still ride together now that he's 22. He is a bit faster than me now, (his bike is better, Lol ! ), but we still have fun. I too picked up a dirt jumper to use at the local pump track, those little bikes sure can wear you out quick with that impossibly low gear and useless seat. Just get out there and enjoy it; you will be much cooler than those who don't!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,190 Posts
not delusional but you might want to have a geared bike just so you can baby the knees if they bark at you while upping your riding duration and strength.

single speeds are not the best to start out on if you tweak something you are stuck pedaling that thing out of the woods

·
Registered
973 Posts
I ride 10ish miles virtually every day and I will be 63 in May...I ride for the hobby aspect and my cardiologist suggested a low impact exercise regiment. The "low impact" of course applies only if you keep the right side up!

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
You've got plenty of good riding years left in you; just start riding and having fun.
I'm on the wrong side of 45 myself, and my dad took it up in his late late 50's. Tons of guys older than we are out there ripping it up. Never too late to ride bikes.

I'll also echo the sentiment about a DJ bike not being the best for riding trails. I like jump bikes and have a couple myself, but they're not the most versatile things out there (depending on the build somewhat). What kind of bike is it (of if you've got a picture you can post)? Might get some input on things you do to make sure you're on the right tool for the job.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm 48 and started a year ago - Go for it! It is addicting though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments & encouragement. I bought a 'Mesh' jump bike from Halfords. I know, probabably the most unsophisticated, heavy & inflexible thing out there :eekster: but I did give all that a lot of thought beforehand. I was after something with complete simplicity.
My aim at the moment is to build up to a ride through the local woods & learn how to negotiate a few obstacles, concentrating on low speed control & balance. Nothing too hairy for now. Who knows, if the bug really does take hold I can move on from there. I'm having great fun at the moment simply riding around the houses, like I used to when I was a kid, getting used to it again.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
As long as you're out there having fun, the rest is merely details, and you'll find a way to work them out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I started mountain biking aged 50 last year.

I've had a great time and have got fitter, although it took some time, often my mind was saying "this it great" while my body said "what the hell are you doing"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts