Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Delirium e-type derailleur mount question

I'm in the process of upgrading my drivetrain to a 1x10 with a Raceface narrow wide 30t chainring and clutch rear derailleur. Since many people have had luck without a chainguide, I chose a Blackspire Bruiser taco bash. Now after the ordering has been done and with installation in progress, I found a number of reports of chain drops with these new style chainrings - it's certainly better, but coming from a hammerschmidt which has been 100% reliable for 4 years, I'm slightly nervous. I'm not racing so its not horrible if I drop the chain - its just something I haven't had to worry about in a long while.

So if the chain dropping does indeed present an annoyance, I was wondering if it was worth it to get a different chainguide/bash like the MRP AMg, or if I could get away with maybe a e-type mounted chainguide like the Blackspire Einfachx (which is supposed to only go down to 32T rings, but one problem at a time). But after examining the bottom bracket area (in pictures only - my bike is locked up at the LBS), there is only one screw mount on the frame. I was under the impression e-types had 2 mounting screws - so where does the other screw go? I tried looking up how people mounted front derailleurs, and it looks like there is an ISCG or BB plate involved, which doesn't help me. Is there a bracket or something from Knolly that allows for the derailleur or chainguide to be bolted up to the one frame mount?

Any knowledge is appreciated!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant E-type.. :(

Hmm.. maybe I'll rephrase to get some replies. When mounting an e-type derailleur to the frame - rear bolt goes into the frame mount, front bolt goes into... what exactly? Having never used a front e-type derailleur, I know nothing about them. Looking at pictures, some of them have a bottom bracket adaptor, some rely on an ISCG plate (with a nut on the back side i presume?), but this seems kludge-y to me (and means my idea of using an e-type chainguide with the current bash guard doesn't work). It has to mount to something, but I wouldn't think it would require some 3rd party device. The direct mount on the Chili/endo just makes more sense.

Found this in another thread. Maybe it helps..
Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Carbon

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You're right, it attaches to a BB or ISCG mounted plate. Both bolts go through the plate, front one into a captive nut thing, the rear bolt goes through and into the frame. No it won't work with a chainguide, unless the chainguide backplate incorporates the E-type mount.

...The direct mount on the Chili/endo just makes more sense.
Sure does.

If you need something more secure than the Bruiser, I run a Blackspire DER guide (1x) which I rather like.

Edit: Now with picture.

Rear bolt (5) goes into the frame through the washer marked (6).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
To mount an E-type front derailleur on the Delirium (or Delirium T or V-tach), you'll either need to use the E-type bracket that comes with the front derailleur or use a chain guide with an e-type back plate. At the time that the Delirium was designed, it was envisioned that it would always use a chain guide and this would necessitate using a chain guide with an E-type back plate (since the back plate would interfere with the OEM Shimano e-type back plate shown in the drawing in the post above this reply).

I hope that helps: MRP, E-13, Blackspire and others have E-type back plates available for various chain guide models.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my drivetrain to a 1x10 with a Raceface narrow wide 30t chainring and clutch rear derailleur. Since many people have had luck without a chainguide, I chose a Blackspire Bruiser taco bash. Now after the ordering has been done and with installation in progress, I found a number of reports of chain drops with these new style chainrings - it's certainly better, but coming from a hammerschmidt which has been 100% reliable for 4 years, I'm slightly nervous. I'm not racing so its not horrible if I drop the chain - its just something I haven't had to worry about in a long while.

So if the chain dropping does indeed present an annoyance, I was wondering if it was worth it to get a different chainguide/bash like the MRP AMg, or if I could get away with maybe a e-type mounted chainguide like the Blackspire Einfachx (which is supposed to only go down to 32T rings, but one problem at a time). But after examining the bottom bracket area (in pictures only - my bike is locked up at the LBS), there is only one screw mount on the frame. I was under the impression e-types had 2 mounting screws - so where does the other screw go? I tried looking up how people mounted front derailleurs, and it looks like there is an ISCG or BB plate involved, which doesn't help me. Is there a bracket or something from Knolly that allows for the derailleur or chainguide to be bolted up to the one frame mount?

Any knowledge is appreciated!
like yourself. i have run hammerschmidt on my bikes for the last 4 years. ( on my dt, and chromag stylus) when i built up my new bikes last year. i to was unsure about going back to convetional cranks, you will be fine mate, im running my endo as a 2x10 at the mo, with blackspire guide. but am seriously considering going 1x10.
i am running my new stylus on a 1x10. with 36t narrow wide, and xt clutch mech, been riding for the last 4 weeks, and no chain drop yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.