Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After alot of thinking, (and saving) and some asking around.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=473252

I decided to go with a knolly delerium T.

I found a way to make the knolly happen and make my dream come true.

Knolly Delerium T is my choice.

So here is my proposed build. Trying to build it light but not sacrifice strength.

Found a king/hadley/819 ust wheelset for cheap to use for more tamer am riding.

Not as wide as rim as I would like but will work with some 2.35 minions. That way I can get riding without breaking the bank.

Later plan going to build a set of 823's w dual ply dh tires for parks and other riding that requires it.

Well got a few questions ??about my proposed build.

Trying to decide on brakes. Avid Elixir CR or Code or step up to Formula one or what do you suggest for lightweight yet excellent performance?

Avid seem less $$ but is the one worth it? (Edit: dang just saw the prices for formulas!! price may decide for me :( )

Delerium T Build
Frame: Medium Knolly Delerium T - Anodized Black - Fox DHX 5.0 Coil - 12X135 Thru-Axle

Fork: 2009 Totem Coil 1.5"

Headset: Chris King 1.5

Stem: Thomson X4 1.5 65mm 31.8 black

Bar: Deity Dirty Thirty Black

Grips: Deity Enoki Black

Brakes: 09 Avid Elixir Carbon Or Formula One

Shifters: Saint M810

Seat Post: Maverick Speedball R (30.9 with shim)

Saddle: WTB w Ti Rails (Used had around)

Chain Retention Device: ICSG 05 Blackspire Stinger

Crankset: 09 Saint Double 22/36 175mm

Front Derailleur Shimano: XT E-type M760 dual pull

Rear Derailleur: 09 Shimano Saint M810 GS Short Cage

Cassette: XTR 9 speed M960 11-34

Chain: XTR

Pedals: Shimano DX Clipless

Front Hub: Chris King Black 20mm

Rear Hub: Hadley SDH R 1.2 135X12 Through Axle

Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted

Rims: Mavic 819 Disc UST

Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 60a 2.35"

Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 60a 2.35"

Ideas or suggestions?

Proper Front DER?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Might want to check out the Shimano SLX M665 Double specific e-type FD.

Maybe consider XT/SLX parts (cranks, shifters, etc.) as opposed to Saint to save some weight?

Also, maybe consider the SLX M665 double cranks to save some money in order to get the brakes you want. The SLX double cranks have steel threaded inserts for the pedals and only weigh around 100 grams less than Saint, so they're pretty beefy. A friend of mine has got some and they're nice cranks for the money.

Looks like you already own the Speedball, but a standard post with a QR is lighter and if you can learn to drop/raise on the go it will save some weight. The guys I ride with do this and I remember reading that Smoke does this as well.

Either way your current spec is strong and you're going to have a sweet bike.

Congrats on getting a DT.

As a side note, I stumbled across your initial "decision" thread and it's what turned me on to Knolly. I can't decide whether to thank you or not, because now I'm trying to figure out how to get one. Noel is making some very sweet bikes.

Last thing, where did you end up getting your frame from? I might start doing some inquiring. Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
congrats! way to make things happen!

your proposed build is very similar to my actual DT build i've had for over a year... i've built 3 knolly's this past year with the strong but light mantra so here's my .02:

wheelset - not sure from your post if you've got them already but i've run king, hadley and hope wheelsets and unless you are looking to dedicate some $$ to bling hubs, i've found the hope pro IIs a very good, comparably cheap and light hub. i run a 12mm pro 2 on my DT and it's withstood alot of hard riding this past season and is going strong. if king or hadley is the only option, i'd run the king with 10mm funn bolts and use the regular dropouts... it's the lightest bolt on setup for a DT (or as light as the DT 240s RWS option) however only 100g or so lighter than the 12mm TA setup.

brakes - i have Elixir R and CR and IMO the CR are not worth the extra money... Elixir Rs are an unbeatable brake for the money. IMO Codes only add increased fade resistance not power.

totem - i run a 1.5 coil totem as well with the x4 thomson and deity thirties... the front end is a bit high for solid climbing performance on my medium DT (i'm 5'10")... chromag flat bars or other flat wide bars are another option to lower the front end if that is an issue for you.

cranks - i run the hones with steel inserts after breaking some XTs and can highly recommend the hones as a very good, cheap and light crank for the DT. Saints are obviously better but just more $ and weight IMO

guide - you'll have to modify the stinger to make it work with the e-type FD but IMO a modified stinger is the best option for a dual ring guide for a DT... other option is an e13 DRS

personally, i'd put more $ into a CCDB shock + ti spring from the savings of hones, elixir Rs and/or hope pro IIs.

tubeless is a tough one... i ran a converted stan's setup and only the front survived the season... my buddy (also on a DT) who rides quite hard has a set of 819s setup tubeless and was happy initially but now he can't recommend them as a good option... they definately don't work as a serious FR/DH wheelset as 2.4-2.5 DH tires don't fit well... if two wheelsets is an option, i'd build pinner Stan's Flows on Pro IIs with aerolite or supercomps for the AM set and buy a cheap burly set for DH

you'll love your DT

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

disjointed = Thanks good idea. Will use slx cranks to save some $$ and weight. The Xt FRT Der was cheaper than slx e-type. Going to go with the slx front DER and XT vs xtr cassette.

gratiflying= thanks, I already got the wheelset for very cheap slightly used. If I was buying new would not go that route. Was worth i even for the cost of the hubs,. I can also lace them up[ with 823s or build another set with 823.

SLX also have steel inserts and are cheap and stronger than XT. Like the fact there 100 grams lighter than saint and 1/2 the price.

Thanks for the brake feedback that would save me some serious $$. Rode the elixir CR on a 38lb sx trail and they work great.

I am only planning on using 2.3 with the 819. Only temp setup for now and for easy local stuff.

Really think the CDDB is worth the extra coin?

I am a set it and forget it kinda guy.

I figured I would get one later or get dhx pushed. if I wanna tinker with suspension more.

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
If you are a set it and forget it then I honestly do not think the CCDB is the way to go. Dont get me wrong - it is a very good shock with a huge range of tuning possibilities BUT if you do not spend the time sorting it you are doing a disservice to yourself/the shock.

IMHO the Fox DHX coil is a fantastic bang for your buck shock (and it is lighter then the CCDB).

For sure ditch the XTR cassette - that is silly money for no real gain (a few grams I guess).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stem: Thomson X4 1.5 65mm 31.8 black
Unfortunatly the X4 1.5 only comes in 45mm but a few other companys like Truvativ, Bontrager or Sunline make a longer 1.5 stem.

Nice choice with the Diety handlebars, I have a set on one of my other bikes and its great, gotta love the powdercoat.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the Ti sprung CCDB on my DT.

michael
Thanks for sharing.

006_007 said:
If you are a set it and forget it then I honestly do not think the CCDB is the way to go. Dont get me wrong - it is a very good shock with a huge range of tuning possibilities BUT if you do not spend the time sorting it you are doing a disservice to yourself/the shock.

IMHO the Fox DHX coil is a fantastic bang for your buck shock (and it is lighter then the CCDB).

For sure ditch the XTR cassette - that is silly money for no real gain (a few grams I guess).
Thanks for the feedback. DHX coil sure isn't a DHX air. Wanna be riding sooner rather than saving too.

yeap have changed that too. going with saint or xt ($5 more)

Unfortunatly the X4 1.5 only comes in 45mm but a few other companys like Truvativ, Bontrager or Sunline make a longer 1.5 stem.

Nice choice with the Diety handlebars, I have a set on one of my other bikes and its great, gotta love the powdercoat.
I better check into that. Guy at the bike shop suggested 65mm and said he would order one. Maybe he was having a brain fart.

Was also considering the Deity Stem but went with the thompson for the weight savings.

Revised list.

Frame: Medium Knolly Delerium T - Anodized Black - Fox DHX 5.0 Coil - 12X135 Thru-Axle
Fork: 2009 Totem Coil 1.5"
Headset: Chris King 1.5
Stem: Thomson X4 1.5 65mm 31.8 black 169g
Bar: Deity Dirty Thirty Black
Grips: Deity Enoki Black
Brakes: Avid Elixir
Shifters: Saint M810
Seat Post: Maverick Speedball R (30.9 with shim)
Saddle: WTB w Ti Rails (Used had around)
Chain Retention Device: ICSG 05 Blackspire Stinger
Crankset: 09 SLX Double 22/36 175mm
Front Derailleur Shimano: SLX M665 E-type For Dual Ring
Rear Derailleur: 09 Shimano Saint M810 GS Short Cage
Cassette: XT 9 speed 11-34
Chain: XT
Pedals: Shimano DX Clipless
Front Hub: Chris King Black 20mm
Rear Hub: Hadley SDH R 1.2 135X12 Through Axle
Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted
Rims: Mavic 819 Disc UST Will change to wider rim or new wheelset with mavic 823
Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 60a 2.35"
Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 60a 2.35"
Tubes: will see how ust works.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Nice build. Glad to see we could help sway you this way. You'll love the D-T.

It'll be nice to have some lighter wheels/tires for the "trail" days ..... but like you said, you'll definitely want some wider rims and beefier tires for the "park" and super chunk days.

I agree with the DHX-Coil over the CCDB if you hate to fiddle. The Roco TST Coil would be a good option too. I've only ridden it and not the DHX-coil but I've heard the Roco compares favorably to a Pushed DHX.

·
Registered
232 Posts
One_Speed said:
Thanks for the feedback!

Really think the CDDB is worth the extra coin?
unquestionably, the new fox stuff is really good... i'm building a DT for my GF and went with a DHX coil... CCDB is definitely an upgrade however, but nothing huge... worth the money is subjective... the adjustments are not difficult but they must be made/tested on the trail to actually be felt... king of forces you to learn to turn your suspension for actual trail performance instead of parking lot bouncing...

also consider that you are only a few months away from the new Fox Coil shock... personally, i'd look into how to get one of those for the most bang for your buck...

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
gratiflying said:
also consider that you are only a few months away from the new Fox Coil shock... personally, i'd look into how to get one of those for the most bang for your buck...
What's the word on the street about he new Fox coil? I'm getting ready to upgrade my DHX-Air for a coil and was leaning towards the Roco TST.... but I'm all ears about the new Fox. Anyone heard anything or ridden a proto?

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KRob said:
Nice build. Glad to see we could help sway you this way. You'll love the D-T.

It'll be nice to have some lighter wheels/tires for the "trail" days ..... but like you said, you'll definitely want some wider rims and beefier tires for the "park" and super chunk days.

I agree with the DHX-Coil over the CCDB if you hate to fiddle. The Roco TST Coil would be a good option too. I've only ridden it and not the DHX-coil but I've heard the Roco compares favorably to a Pushed DHX.
Appreciate your review and comments. Was yet another good confirmation going for the right choice. After seeing the bike and riding it I was sold.

Yes I know for a fact I will want wider rims for wider tires. Have previously destroyed most everything but mavic 823.

Most all the Local stuff is fine with 2.35. Wish we had the rocky riding like you do.

Isn't easy to find a inexpensive or used wheelset with 20mm front an 135x12 through axle rear.

It was such a good deal. Gotta love craiglist.

All else fails can always use the hubs to lace new hoops. Still saved $$.

As most of you know (unless you a got a demo bike deal!)

Costs a grip to get a nice wheel set built. 500+

Yes also looking forward to feeling the 09 dhx coil improvements.

I will be able to also compare share feedback with dominator13, Since he has a DT with CDDB.

Cant wait!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
One_Speed said:
I thought the 09 Fox has already been out for a while.

There listed on price point, was considering one for my previous bike.

See thread here:
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=412634

Or you guys talking about the DHX prototype spotted on sicklines?
Nope!

Prototype models are out on some test bikes: we're supposed to be getting our pre-production models around Jan / Fed 2009 but production shocks are actually a 2010 MY product and hence will be on the market around the end of May / early June (which is when Fox typically introduces their next MY product). That's what Fox is telling us anyway.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you are trying to save money, you might try the Holzfeller OCT, its about half price of the SLX and quite robust imo. I did the Great Divide Route on a pair this summer, with zero problems. Not sure about drops, since I have a DH crankset on my big bike. But, they seem plenty stiff and durable for me so far. It also seems no nonsense, stylewise, if that matters:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17710-100_TRUHO7-3-Parts-56-Cranks/Bolts/Truvativ-Holzfeller-OCT--2.2-RG-Howitzer-2008.htm

I also have the Avid Code 5 on my big bike. Its a cheap alternative and you get good bang for the buck. If the Knolly is breaking the bank, you can go with these as they give you plenty of power and fade resistance. Modulation is pretty good. They just dont seem "tight" compared to some other brakes I have tried. However, They are a very good option in todays tight financial market. Always better to get the Knolly, and upgrade parts along the way, if budget is an issue.

I also have the DHX coil for my rear shock. Plan is to PUSH it when it fails. Going on 3 years now. I suppose you could always upgrade to a Ti spring on the Fox if you wanted.

I love Thompson posts/stem and CK headsets, so I am reluctant to mention anything else. But I know some people like Sunline for the stem, and might be an option if you can't get the X4 in the right length.

I also agree that XTR cassette and chain are probably no benefit. In my experience, and new chain is always better than a more expensive older chain. I broke my chain 4 times on the GDR this summer (bike weighed 104 lbs loaded up)

I also like my DX platform pedal. Haven't torn out the pins, like the Mg Wellgo.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
knollybikes.com said:
Nope!

Prototype models are out on some test bikes: we're supposed to be getting our pre-production models around Jan / Fed 2009 but production shocks are actually a 2010 MY product and hence will be on the market around the end of May / early June (which is when Fox typically introduces their next MY product). That's what Fox is telling us anyway.

Cheers!
Thanks!! I was wondering what everyone was talking about. New as in 2010 model:)

If you are trying to save money, you might try the Holzfeller OCT, its about half price of the SLX and quite robust imo. I did the Great Divide Route on a pair this summer, with zero problems. Not sure about drops, since I have a DH crankset on my big bike. But, they seem plenty stiff and durable for me so far. It also seems no nonsense, stylewise, if that matters:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...itzer-2008.htm

I also have the Avid Code 5 on my big bike. Its a cheap alternative and you get good bang for the buck. If the Knolly is breaking the bank, you can go with these as they give you plenty of power and fade resistance. Modulation is pretty good. They just dont seem "tight" compared to some other brakes I have tried. However, They are a very good option in todays tight financial market. Always better to get the Knolly, and upgrade parts along the way, if budget is an issue.

I also have the DHX coil for my rear shock. Plan is to PUSH it when it fails. Going on 3 years now. I suppose you could always upgrade to a Ti spring on the Fox if you wanted.

I love Thompson posts/stem and CK headsets, so I am reluctant to mention anything else. But I know some people like Sunline for the stem, and might be an option if you can't get the X4 in the right length.

I also agree that XTR cassette and chain are probably no benefit. In my experience, and new chain is always better than a more expensive older chain. I broke my chain 4 times on the GDR this summer (bike weighed 104 lbs loaded up)

I also like my DX platform pedal. Haven't torn out the pins, like the Mg Wellgo.
Thanks for the feedback. Ended up getting the slx double for $104. Was cheaper than the OCT. Didn't get any XTR.

Saint, SLX and XT.

SLX cranks and Front DER (double ring w bash)
Saint Rear Der + shifter
XT chain and casette
Elixir CR brakes was 20ea more than elixir so went with them. Elixir is supposed to be between juicy and code.

Will be my first shimano drivetrain since biopace days!!

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wait

Finally was able to get everything ordered to build a knolly.

Trying to be patient but the wait is driving me nuts. Wish I was building instead of looking at a pile of parts.

All parts were shipped on time but the King headset :( A storm in oregon keeping them from going to work and also holding up shipments.

Hopefully the Knolly frame gets here before xmas. Otherwise another week of waiting :madman:

At least I realized to order the proper springs for my weight (totem coil and DHX coil) and not have to wait longer for more parts to arrive. And then delaying riding even longer.

more to come..

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Not sure of your weight or where you ride, but I found the 819's to be to small of a rim for the 2.5 tires. If your a lightweight you'll probably have no trouble with them. I noticed a big difference by trying the minions on a set of 823's. Shifting performance is greatly improved by going to an XTR vs XT on the front. Hope Santa is good to you.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
disjointed said:
Curious where you found a shim from 30.9 to 31.6? I've been looking for one and I have not found one.

Thanks.
When I searched online, I could not find any either. All seemed to be for 27.2 seatposts.

Bike Shop found it for me, will ask him and let you know where to get it.

bikesinmud said:
Not sure of your weight or where you ride, but I found the 819's to be to small of a rim for the 2.5 tires. If your a lightweight you'll probably have no trouble with them. I noticed a big difference by trying the minions on a set of 823's. Shifting performance is greatly improved by going to an XTR vs XT on the front. Hope Santa is good to you.
Thanks for the feedback, was also concerned the 819 are too narrow for what I optimally would like..

I got the wheelset for less than the hubs cost. so my budget kinda decided that for now.

So will use em till they fail then rebuild with new rims.

I am using 2.35 with the 819 until I destroy them.

I ended up getting the slx front DER, since it is made to work with a dual ring setup.

Supposed to shift well between 24-36. Have heard great reviews of it

Hope it works well. I could have gotten the XTR for same price. :madman:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.