Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build up my wheels and am starting to think twice about the tires. I bought a set of Nevegal 2.2's on Ebay for a great price. However, now I am thinking that the Delgados might be to narrow to run that big a tire.

I know from experience that running a 2.3 on a XM819 (26"ers) is not a good idea when you weigh 220 lbs. I use to get really bad side wall flex on my 26'ers. I switched the 2.1's and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm afraid the same scenario might happen with my Delgado's and the 2.2's.

Anyone running Delgado-X's (non-disc) with a 2.2 or bigger tire that can share their experiences?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 185 in riding gear and I've run the Nevegals on Bontrager Mustang rims, which I believe are more narrow than the Delgados, on long nasty downhills with lots and lots of rocks with no problems. I don't know if it makes a difference but I run them with tubes, not tubless.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input

I went to the Speedgoat website to see if the Nevegal 29" tire came in a smaller size and I found the comment on the 2.2 tire that stated, "Sized like a really fat 2.1" . Not sure what this means? I have never had a 2.2 tire. I've only ridden 2.1 oe 2.3's.

Do you guys agree with that comment?

I figure I got such a good deal on the tires that if they do end up flexing on me I'll just switch to something smaller.

Does anyone know if the Nevegal is made in a smaller size? If they do I can't seem to find it.

I really do like this tire a lot and it will kill me if I have to switch IMO, the best tire for riding in southern Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that I don't want to switch to a wider rim since I want to use this bike as a dual purpose bike.

I want to be able to put some cross semi slicks to do some canal riding as well.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
palmermtb said:
I forgot to mention that I don't want to switch to a wider rim since I want to use this bike as a dual purpose bike.

I want to be able to put some cross semi slicks to do some canal riding as well.
Don't worry about it. I've been running a Nevegal on a Delgado-X rim, converted tubeless, for a couple of months now without any problems. Labeling that tire a 2.2 is a bit optimistic, and the Delgado-X rim is wide enough to easily run that tire.

Heck, I'll run 2.55 Weirwolf LTs on those rims! Bring 'em on!

So IMHO, you have nothing to worry about. Ride and smile, as the Salsa Amigos would say.

Cheers,
MG

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ecnouragement

After all the great things I've read about these rims, I went ahead and built the wheels tonight and you're right MG. That aint no 2.2. A whole lot of fuss over nuthin. Thanks again to all. I can't wait to ride this puppy. I'm waiting for a rear derailleur and a Reba Race to finish the build. This is my first 29er and I feel like a little kid getting his first bike. I can't wait.

MG,
This may be off topic but would you share your tubeless setup with us? DId you do the standard 2 turns of velox and Stan's rim strips? Just curious. I want to run the wheels tubeless as well. Thanks again.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
palmermtb said:
After all the great things I've read about these rims, I went ahead and built the wheels tonight and you're right MG. That aint no 2.2. A whole lot of fuss over nuthin. Thanks again to all. I can't wait to ride this puppy. I'm waiting for a rear derailleur and a Reba Race to finish the build. This is my first 29er and I feel like a little kid getting his first bike. I can't wait.
Oh yeah... Wait 'til you start daring your front tire to break traction. You'll keep trying, and trying, and trying, but those Nevegals hold tight. Talk about fun!

palmermtb said:
MG,
This may be off topic but would you share your tubeless setup with us? DId you do the standard 2 turns of velox and Stan's rim strips? Just curious. I want to run the wheels tubeless as well. Thanks again.
I don't think this is too much off-topic to share here. I've tried Stan's strips, and actually do use a pair of 26-inch Stans strips on one of my 29er wheelsets (with 100-percent reliability). I've developed my own process however that I've been tweaking over the years, and while I can't guarantee you'll have success with the same setup, it's working great for me. I do tape the spoke holes -- with one layer of nylon strapping tape (20mm) and one layer of 25mm wide black electrical tape. You can also do two overlapping layers of standard electrical tape. I then lay-in a 24-inch presta tube I've cut wide enough so that it goes up the rim walls right to the bead hook. The tire bead overlaps the tube, and over time, this bead/tube interface bonds together with the help of the latex sealant.

Speaking of which, I use a sealant that is based on the original 'mix-it-yourself' Stan's formula. I use a liquid latex called Mold Builder (which you can get at almost any arts/crafts store) mixed with windshield washer fluid at a ratio of 2tbsp Mold Builder to 3oz of washer fluid. I use the windshield washer fluid because it keeps the mixture from freezing solid on sub-freezing rides. You can use water in this mixture in a pinch.

I've been working on this process since 2001, and it's been very reliable for me. I had one flat in 2006 that required I put a tube in -- that's it. And that was because a 16 penny nail went into, and back out of my tire casing, creating two large holes that the sealant just couldn't cope with.

Like I said before, I can't guarantee your safety or success using the method above, but I can say that I've been safe and successful using it with a variety of tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have been running...

the delgado's w/bonty xr's for 1.5 yrs with no problems. I weigh 250 lbs, so the set up has proven itself imho.

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
I'm using Exiwolf 2.3 with my non disc Delgados with no problem. I weigh 200 with gear. Recently I converted 'em to Stans system, with only 1 layer of Velox tape. Probably have 400 miles on em, no problems yet and I'm using the kevlar Exis. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the inputs fellas (LemurianGuy and edouble). I'm just waiting for my new Reba Race to show tomorrow and I'll giving the tire and rim combo a go. I'm much more confident of the setup than I was a couple of days ago. Thanks

mgersib, I know what you mean by the Nevegals traction. I run these on my 26er and can't say enough about them. My friends are tired of hearing about how great they are.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your homemade sealant recipe. I've never been able to find a good recipe for sealant. I'm going to give yours a try this week. I also like the tape/tube build up idea. I'm not a big fan of Stan's strips as I have had a few strips develop holes in them and prefer to use tape and Stan's standard valve stems. I really appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.