Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jason, or anyone,

Are the new Delgado 29er Race Rims in stock yet? If not, when might one expect them.

Also, do you know if QBP will be offering them as part of of a wheel set like the current
Delgado/DT 240 set that is available (and may be calling my name)?

Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
798 Posts
Finally finished!!!!

You heard it here first. I was gone on vacation last week and while I was gone, the design and product crew passed the samples from the first production run. Rims should ship to us next week. That means end of Feb or 1st week of March depending on shipping, dock status, customs and rail traffic.

One note that some folks may or may not know. This rim will be a welded rim, unlike our current Delgado Disc rim. I won't go into the details of the process here, but we did this to meet the strength and weight requirements. This added roughly 45 days to the development time.

Unlike last year, we should have very good supply, even with the first shipment. This is of course speculation as I have not seen the actual packing list nor do we have a super accurate gauge of demand, so I could be wrong. I'll post if I receive differing information.

Regarding Quality WheelHouse and this rim. Yes, they are building and stocking a very light wheelset. DT 240s hubs and I can't remember spoke gauge, but I know it's light. Will be good for some, and not as good for others.

Jason

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info Jason. Not sure which way I'm going with wheels, but thought I'd check my options.

Glad you had good vacation! Thanks again for the update.

jason

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Jason,

Can you tell us more about this rim? Is it designed as a race only rim as the name suggests or is it a good all around rim for xc type stuff? Do you know the approx. weight?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sure thing

cocheese said:
Jason,

Can you tell us more about this rim? Is it designed as a race only rim as the name suggests or is it a good all around rim for xc type stuff? Do you know the approx. weight?

Thanks! :)
The Race rims arrive soon. Finally. We are excited.

First the specs.
25mm wide
450-460grams
Polished silver or black, 32 or 36h

This is essentially a scaled down Delgado Disc, but with one big change...It's welded.

Going forward, we are trying to be pretty clear about the use of the rim. We've been criticized with the Delgado Disc saying we've been misleading in it's use. That too, is an XC rim, but many folks have purchased it with other expectations.

The Race rim is very durable. My feeling is that if you or a friend is having good luck with the Delgado Disc and ride in standard XC type terrain, the new Race rim will be a very very good choice. I'm not light and I've been putting miles on them with no issues. I got another 10+ hours in on the Salsa 2-9 Ride and Smile Ride in CA.

Jason

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
hi Jason/Salsa

do you know who'll be getting race rims first (dealers). i like speedgoat for a salsa dealer, hoping they get the new rims somewhat soon...?

thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hopefully, a lot of dealers will be getting them

ferday said:
hi Jason/Salsa

do you know who'll be getting race rims first (dealers). i like speedgoat for a salsa dealer, hoping they get the new rims somewhat soon...?

thanks
Well, as the post indicates, I sure hope lot's of dealers get them. I don't expect the same delivery and hoarding issue that happened last year. That said, who knows. All I know is that we've got a lot coming in both 26" & 29", black & silver, and 32h & 36h.

If any dealers are reading this, I do not believe you need to hoard these.

Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
my question being is that i am building up a dos niner with some custom wheels. I was originally going to get the delgado's with 240 hubs but my dealer told me i would be happier with the dt tk7.1d, he said in the long run that will hold up better and i could do tubeless if i wanted. whats your opinion on this. he said the salsa was mid level and the dt's were upper end? are the new delgados better than the last ones?

·
Registered
798 Posts
A few details

jmeitz said:
my question being is that i am building up a dos niner with some custom wheels. I was originally going to get the delgado's with 240 hubs but my dealer told me i would be happier with the dt tk7.1d, he said in the long run that will hold up better and i could do tubeless if i wanted. whats your opinion on this. he said the salsa was mid level and the dt's were upper end? are the new delgados better than the last ones?
Everyone has opinions. The DT TK7.1d is really good product. So are our rims. My guess is that the dealer was comparing the Delgado Disc to the DT rims. There is a difference and each model has a few features the other doesn't.

One note, the new Delgado Race rims are welded just like the DT's. The older model Delgado Disc is a pinned and sleeved rim. My guess is, that is what the dealer was referencing when they said "better".

Tubeless: Your call. We don't endorse it on our rims. If this is important to you, you will not be satisfied with either our Delgado or our new Delgado Race.

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.