Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Nice. So is that matte clear coated steel? The heat affected weld zones look like steel.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Really love Carl's frames. They're always very detail driven and top shelf.

I have to however burst everyones bubbles with the finish. The HAZ are faked. I'm sure nobody cares because it's just 'a look', but I don't want anyone to think that's what frames look like fresh off the floor, because it isn't.

Sorry if I ruined anyones fantasy. Even still, it's one I like. :thumbsup: Did you see the DeSalvo from Spectrum with the HAZ all over it!? I wasn't sure if it looked like a funky spotted animal or a victim of torture! :eek:

·
*Hotter than Hell*
710 Posts

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is clear coated steel, not 953 - the heat affected zones are "fake" as thylacine noted, frame was sand blasted and those added after. Looks pretty damn sweet though IMO. It's a 1x9 with full housing to rr derailleur.

Wait wasn't terrible, but I think I first made the deposit in end of April, so maybe 10-12 weeks.

Carl was really cool to work with, can't wait to see it in person.

·
pepito
640 Posts
that is the nicest strong i've seen. i really dig his frames in general, but they usually seem to have over-the-top graffics. not this one. minimal, simple, beautiful. can't wait to see that thing built.

the_dude

·
Registered
278 Posts
RWGreen said:
It is clear coated steel, not 953 - the heat affected zones are "fake" as thylacine noted, frame was sand blasted and those added after. Looks pretty damn sweet though IMO. It's a 1x9 with full housing to rr derailleur.

Wait wasn't terrible, but I think I first made the deposit in end of April, so maybe 10-12 weeks.

Carl was really cool to work with, can't wait to see it in person.
Got that sucker built up yet??? What are you using as a guide for the front ring?

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
A work of art

What a great looking frame. I love the HAZ (what does that stand for anyway)? Are all of the welds faked up? Are the major welds like the head tube and bb for real? It hardly matters, it is not like fake carbon fiber paint or something like that. I am actually having a frame made with some exposed steel welds.

More pics, at least of the complete bike! Maybe some close ups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.