Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
g=9.764m/s2
836 Posts
Sure, a THREAD for DE discussion sounds cool… Why? Not everyone is on Facebook to join in local group chats…. Unfortunately this type of thread will quietly die…

So just think, not only does NCC have 5 great trail systems with decent elevation and differing terrain within a 1/2 hr drive of each other, but 1 1/2 hours drive will get you to many other awesome trail systems between Baltimore, Philadelphia, Reading, and even Bike Parks…. It’s pretty unique in that respect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just because we all love reviving an old thread around here. How are the trails in Delaware? Trailforks shows them all in the northern part of the state. Circumstances might lead me to moving up that way from phoenix where i am spoiled for trails

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
just because we all love reviving an old thread around here. How are the trails in Delaware? Trailforks shows them all in the northern part of the state. Circumstances might lead me to moving up that way from phoenix where i am spoiled for trails
They're good if you like XC...I guess there's some suitable "trail bike trails"...I like them. I feel like, coming from Phoenix, you'll be under-whelmed...but they work just fine. There's really just two (three if you count Fair Hill in MD...might as well, it's right there too). White Clay in Newark is super fun if you like flow trails and XC. There's enough to keep you busy; I rode there for weekly for two years and didn't get bored. Sure, I knew the trails like the back of my hand...but it was (and is) still fun.

Brandywine in Wilmington is rockier and more difficult (understand that "difficult" is relative); Brandywine will beat you up a lot more. Brandywine's hills are also longer and steeper (again: relative). It's still Delaware, so there aren't AZ type climbs...but they can be pretty punchy. You don't say what kind of riding you like, but Brandywine does have a number of "secret" off shoots that veer from the main trails...some of these lead to jumps, rock drops, and (although short) some steep rock faces. Once you cross over into Beaver Valley (into PA) it's more flowy like WCC, but bigger. Of the two (WCC vs Bwine)...I prefer Bwine.

Fair Hill, to me, always seemed to have the terrain of WCC, but the rocks of B-wine. I never went there much bc I didn't see anything there that wasn't at the other two. There's some stuff at Lum's Pond (Bear), but don't waste your time; Trail Forks says 23miles...that's seems overestimated (I'd also estimate that total elevation gain is -2). There's a few miles at Iron Hill Park (Newark) that are OK...but it's really small (Trail Forks says 11miles).

Like Undescended wrote: there's also a bunch of stuff in easy driving distance, but locally it's really Bwine, WCC, and Fair Hill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They're good if you like XC...I guess there's some suitable "trail bike trails"...I like them. I feel like, coming from Phoenix, you'll be under-whelmed...but they work just fine. There's really just two (three if you count Fair Hill in MD...might as well, it's right there too). White Clay in Newark is super fun if you like flow trails and XC. There's enough to keep you busy; I rode there for weekly for two years and didn't get bored. Sure, I knew the trails like the back of my hand...but it was (and is) still fun.

Brandywine in Wilmington is rockier and more difficult (understand that "difficult" is relative); Brandywine will beat you up a lot more. Brandywine's hills are also longer and steeper (again: relative). It's still Delaware, so there aren't AZ type climbs...but they can be pretty punchy. You don't say what kind of riding you like, but Brandywine does have a number of "secret" off shoots that veer from the main trails...some of these lead to jumps, rock drops, and (although short) some steep rock faces. Once you cross over into Beaver Valley (into PA) it's more flowy like WCC, but bigger. Of the two (WCC vs Bwine)...I prefer Bwine.

Fair Hill, to me, always seemed to have the terrain of WCC, but the rocks of B-wine. I never went there much bc I didn't see anything there that wasn't at the other two. There's some stuff at Lum's Pond (Bear), but don't waste your time; Trail Forks says 23miles...that's seems overestimated (I'd also estimate that total elevation gain is -2). There's a few miles at Iron Hill Park (Newark) that are OK...but it's really small (Trail Forks says 11miles).

Like Undescended wrote: there's also a bunch of stuff in easy driving distance, but locally it's really Bwine, WCC, and Fair Hill.
well i am just returning to the sport after a hiatus and serious injury so my trails i am on are mostly xc style but even the easy trails in phoenix have chunky ups and downs. if i crave the downhill too much i could take a trip somewhere. Delaware is not terribly far from some good stuff like that and i don't mind a drive. thanks for the info. i look forward to trying something new and improving skills

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.