Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just destroyed my howitzer bb yesterday jumping and its time to re-up on my whole bb/crankset setup.

Any opinions on the deity vendetta 3-pc setup? I'm attracted to lifetime warranties and the touted strength & ankle clearance.

Thinking of putting it on my BR that sees all around duty (trail, jumps, lift served, urban). If I don't go with that, I think I'll go with the new fsa v-drive setup. I had a couple of sets of v-drive cranks that were good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dont count out the newer XT cranks, they are stiff, light and have held up well to whatever I've thrown at them for 3 years. The new Deitys look sick, if your running single ring I think they would look sic on a BR!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
combatkimura said:
I'm running Profile Race cranks and love 'em. The Vendetta is like a refined version of the Profiles. I don't think you could go wrong with them.
Sweet, that's the kind of stuff I was looking to hear. I think that's what I'll go with then.

Just to hijack my own thread, say a fella had a set of 36 spoke hadleys he was trying to build up and he was sick of how heavy his mag 30s are.

Anyone know of any rims that offer a better strength to weight? Mavic 823s? These wheels are from when I was trying to find the most durable (and heavy) parts available. Kinda wanting to find something that matches the BRs character a bit better.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, what does a 3-piece setup do to your options for chainguides? Deity's got a chainwheel that has an integrated little bash on sale but I'm not too familiar with what my options would be for chain retention.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
get an LG1 chainguide and one of deity's rev4b sprockets and you'll be golden.

note: the SRS guide or an mrp would also work, but i recommend the lg1.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
universalcycles has '05 36 hole 823s on sale for $49.99 right now, I'd grab those up quick.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1320

You should go with an LG-1 with skid or a MRP G2 with the 3-piece cranks. It would be the easiest to setup IMO. I have a G2 and it was super easy to install and setup. I'm running a 36t chainwheel and a 11-32 cassette. That setup works very well for freeride that involves short climbs, skinnies and whatnots.

I think that Deity chainwheel that has the integrated bash is singlespeed chain compatible only, 1/8" teeth rather than 3/32".

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
combatkimura said:
universalcycles has '05 36 hole 823s on sale for $49.99 right now, I'd grab those up quick.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1320

I think that Deity chainwheel that has the integrated bash is singlespeed chain compatible only, 1/8" teeth rather than 3/32".
Bang on with that, realized after poking around deity's website some more that it is for SS chain.

Noice find on those 823s, I'll have to get a set directly. As for guides, we'll have to see what happens. I've got an old mrp (not sure of model) on the bike now and an SRS somewhere in the parts bin. I'm also running 36x11-32 so that's probably what I'll stay with. Seems to give the best all around gearing, great acceleration but still pedalable in most situations. Thanks a bunch for the info.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Archdukeferdinand said:
Also, what does a 3-piece setup do to your options for chainguides? Deity's got a chainwheel that has an integrated little bash on sale but I'm not too familiar with what my options would be for chain retention.
I own 2 sets of Vendettas.
One on my TOP, and another set I just put on my DH rig (Sinister R9).
I ended up using the Gamut P40 guide on the R9, which married with Vendettas without too much trouble. I had to dremel the bash a small bit to get it to clear the inside of the crank arm, but other than that, it's completely trouble free.

I've had the Vendettas on the TOP for 6 months or so, and haven't heard a peep out of them in that time. The Vendettas on the R9 have only seen a solid weekend of Northstar thus far, but I'm sure they will hold up just as well.

Get the cranks man.. they're the goods, and Eric is the most straight up dude I've met in the industry. His CS is unmatched (which I'm sure you're familiar with being a Transition owner), and his product is super solid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.