Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is the official "I defied all MTB common sense and logic and I'm still alive to talk about it" thread. Tell us what you've done which everyone has warned you not to do, and yet the dire consequences that everyone swore would happen never did rear their ugly head to bite you in your defiant arse. Here's a few of mine to get started.

1) I've washed my bike at the car wash with a high pressure hose (numerous times, mind you) and my bottom bracket didn't desintigrate as a result.

2) I've purchased a bike/frame without a test ride, and the bike actually fit me and performed to my expectations......three times going on four so far. (I probably just jinxed myself here)

3) I purchased from Icycles USA and I got a tracking number, and my goods arrived complete and quickly....twice

4) I've poached and didn't get busted and my bike confiscated. (I'm NOT advocating this, BTW!)

5) I've put bar ends on riser bars.

6) I bought a full suspension bike for less than $500 and it was actually a pretty fun bike. (OK, this one was a stretch...)

Please feel free to fess up to your own logic defying acts of defiance.

Bob

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
1)I ride with less than 20 psi in my tires and have yet to get a pinch flat on my current wheel/tire combo

2)Lost all my air in my rear tire and rode it home rim is still true

DMR

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I've taken my precious bike onto planes without expensive hardshell cases (yeah, I like living on the edge) and never had any damage besides scratched paint.

I didn't upgrade to King or Hadley hubs and rode around quite happily on a set of LXs for over five years, and my wheels didn't disintegrate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I was in high school, and not yet into serious biking, I took my all-rigid Murray (think Wal-Mart special) to a small ski resort and survived a day of DH riding.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Killroy said:
What is wrong with eggbeaters? They always seemed easy to me.
Nothing wrong with them... advice to beginners is usually to start with clipless + some kind of platform, or the half flat and half clipless pedals.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went from a big $$$ boutique FS bike that's handmade in the USA to a production hardtail that's made in Taiwan and cost 1/4 price. I like the hardtail so much, the FS is going up for sale on ebay. I also went from a Fox Float fork to a $65 rigid fork and the Fox will also be going on ebay. My wrists, back, and teeth feel just fine and I'm loving my trails more than ever now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ok...

1) I rode an 8 speed, 42lb DH racer on XC trails for a full season, and loved the cushy ride. kind of like riding a couch

2) my first bike race(I was 12) I wore a football helmet because I read the rules the night before and realized it was the only helmet I owned

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had $120 hydraulic disc brakes that I hated because I could never get them adjusted properly, so they always made a "sick,sick,sick,sick" noise, I pitched them and recently purchased $64 mechanical disc brakes that work flawlessly!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.