Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize "rocky" is a relative term when describing a trail, but I'm trying to figure out how some of the local trails that I haven't hit yet compare to some of the ones I have ridden. A lot of descriptions for Elizabeth Furnace and Sherando claim that they are really, really rocky. But I've ridden some trails which I thought were pretty rocky, such as Bridge Hollow, the lower legs of Reddish Knob, the various trails at Narrowback, and parts of Hillandale are pretty damn rocky. So would you guys consider any of the trails I just mentioned to be rocky in comparison with other trails in the area that are described as "rocky". I ask because I'd like an idea of what I'm getting myself into before I go ride some new trails. Will I be climbing the occassional rock, a few intermittent rock gardens, or winding through a 7 mile boulder field? I like riding rocks but not for 3 hours straight. Thanks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would describe Sherando as being rockier than average. Some trails are literally solid rock with loose fragments on top, others are a nice tight packed graduated pea gravel/sandy mix. Very few trails actually have any dirt composition that would yield mud. That's one of the reasons I like riding out there is the mix in trail composition. Here's a few pics of some of trails out there.

Bottom section of Stony Run just off of Coal Rd.

Middle section of Stony Run - this is what 90% of the trail looks like.

Upper trailhead of Torry Ridge - off fireroad. Gets VERY rocky just down the trail

Furhter down Torry Ridge. Extreme boulder field. A few of these sections exist on the this trail. Some are borderline bike-able, so are a definite hike-a-bike, just depends on how hard your balls clank.

Rock garden on Upper Slacks. Definitely bike-able. A few sections like this exist on this trail. Nothing as extreme as on Torry Ridge.

Section of Upper Slacks trail just downhill from rock garden in pic above. Typical trail composition for Slacks, as well as White Rock Gap.

Not pictured is Mill Creek trail. It starts out sandy/rocky, then progresses to get more rocky as it gains in elevation.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Carter Caves in Ky is the worst I've ridden so far. About half the ups and downs are just covered in 5-15lb rocks and look more like river beds then trails.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess the best description of sherando trails is that they are rocky in places. Every now & then you might have to hike-a-bike (like on Torry Ridge), but you won't be riding in a boulder field for 3 hours straight. Slacks and White Rock Gap trails, especially, have some sweet, near-buff sections that are pure bliss. Hope that helps.

I've never ridden Elizabeth Furnace so I can't help you there.

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
riderx said:
Part of a one mile rock garden, Signal Knob trail at Elizabeth Furnace:
Video
Wow, the dude in that video is freakin stallion! I couldn't do that on my geared FS. Is this pretty typical of that area or just a few intermitant sections like that?

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wi1trackrider said:
I would describe Sherando as being rockier than average. Some trails are literally solid rock with loose fragments on top, others are a nice tight packed graduated pea gravel/sandy mix. Very few trails actually have any dirt composition that would yield mud. That's one of the reasons I like riding out there is the mix in trail composition. Here's a few pics of some of trails out there.

Bottom section of Stony Run just off of Coal Rd.

Middle section of Stony Run - this is what 90% of the trail looks like.

Upper trailhead of Torry Ridge - off fireroad. Gets VERY rocky just down the trail

Furhter down Torry Ridge. Extreme boulder field. A few of these sections exist on the this trail. Some are borderline bike-able, so are a definite hike-a-bike, just depends on how hard your balls clank.

Rock garden on Upper Slacks. Definitely bike-able. A few sections like this exist on this trail. Nothing as extreme as on Torry Ridge.

Section of Upper Slacks trail just downhill from rock garden in pic above. Typical trail composition for Slacks, as well as White Rock Gap.

Not pictured is Mill Creek trail. It starts out sandy/rocky, then progresses to get more rocky as it gains in elevation.
Those pics look pretty sweet. As long as the rock is fairly well embedded then I'm good with it, as long as there isn't too much on the climbs, and I still love a good, clear downhill where i can let off the brakes and go. My job is going to be putting me out that way a few days a week so I think I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
g-bus said:
Wow, the dude in that video is freakin stallion! I couldn't do that on my geared FS. Is this pretty typical of that area or just a few intermitant sections like that?
Thanks, that's me in the video.

As far as terrain, the typical loop I do at EF has fast and buff stuff as well as technical stuff. The stuff in the video is the toughest section of a 1 mile rock garden. Yes, it is actually one mile but stay focused and it is rideable Signal Knob trail). That's followed by another mile with a few hike-a-bikes but then some rocky ridge riding that is really good (Meneaka Peak trail). Then 5 mile descent that starts with a tech section, mellows a bit in difficulty and then lets you rip fairly buff singletrack to the finish (Bear Wallow). It's a great place to ride. Do a search on this forum, I recently posted a few loop options. EF is a great place to ride, a bit demanding for some riders but worth the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts