Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah one week later and my shin is all swollen still, black and blue, man! umm, I guess all the blood from the broken little vessels, etc, pool around until it can be reabsorbed. The skin is really hard.

Doing calf raises at the gym didn't help either! I get up from my desk at work and limping around!

Relatively MINOR injury considering what some fellow brother (and brotherette) riders sometimes get hit down, but it's always a little dose of reality

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
Hey SJ - Thanks for asking. I was feeling great about 1 week after the procedure and invited CBro over for a little snowpumptracking and Alaskans (15 minutes - dumb idea apparently). The next day i felt "not good" and it only got worse over the next 4 days.

I shoulds be ready to rock next week if all goes well. You guys will have to cut me some slack for a little while though, no rigorous climbing pretty please :D

So boys and girls, give yourself 2 weeks to heal up from hernia surgery before you get back on the bike!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Bombin4X said:
Hey SJ - Thanks for asking. I was feeling great about 1 week after the procedure and invited CBro over for a little snowpumptracking and Alaskans (15 minutes - dumb idea apparently). The next day i felt "not good" and it only got worse over the next 4 days.

I shoulds be ready to rock next week if all goes well. You guys will have to cut me some slack for a little while though, no rigorous climbing pretty please :D

So boys and girls, give yourself 2 weeks to heal up from hernia surgery before you get back on the bike!
what kind of hernia bombin? i've had two (2) inguinal hernias. so, i've got a mesh on both sides. 1st one was back in 1996 and the last was in 2000. every now and then, the mesh decides to "pull back" and it's killer.

guess you had the laparoscopic procedure, so recovery should be much easier for you. both of mine were done the old fashion "rip 'em open" method. 3"+ incision. :eekster:

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
WOW....small world

I had a double inguinal hernia in 1998 and got "fixed" at the same time, had to take quite some time off the bike, strange though, I could hike still, four days after surgery I was hiking up hulls with the mutts in the snow wishing I was on a bike. Hope you recover soon Craig. I can see the pump track being murder after a surgery like that.:eek:

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
Since we're sharing all our innermost private details...

Yeah this was my #2 inguinal fix, first one was the old slaughterhouse style back in '90 as well. Laporoscopic job now, much better this time but still a 3" incision... After the first one I had I could barely walk for two weeks, I was all haunched over like a caveman. This one left me feeling "too good." If I understand Surly's "fixed" comment - been there, done that too, even got the t-shirt. That was a piece of cake.

Thanks all for the kind words..

·
Registered
970 Posts
do you guys ever have the mesh "pull back" on your inards???

hurts like hell. for me, it happens a few times a year. not that often. not when i'm running around or jumping or anything. usually just a subtle twist or a minor movement..and i feel the pain down low, where the mesh is holdin' me together.

a friend of mine just had surgery last winter, and he told me he gets the tug every now an then.

just wondering if it's normal..or if i got a crappy patch job by the surgeon.

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
I get the tug/burn occasionally, pretty much the same as you - after doing something fairly rigorous. You probably know this, but there were different methods of using the mesh and no matter how it was applied, the body "grows" around it, absorbing it into the tissues. My surgeon told me the old school way (like yours and my first one) have been known to not be as reliable as the current method of lining.

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
I got mesh hip to hip, I have never felt mine move. ( after further thought, when I barf I can feel it twinge a little other than that...nothing.)
Hey Craig!? did you keep your....was it a haro for the pump track? I have that black market mob.... kind of been toying with the notion of a Transition double frame and swapping parts off the mob, hows the hard tail for the pump track vs your coiler? I am getting all geared up for the velodrome park stuff, 4x, skills park, pump track, jump park.... just wondering your thoughts on the ht vs fs. ( and trying to keep this thread about cycling ).

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
It's the IH Yakuza Bakuto, and I did keep it. However, I got it setup for trail riding since it's a little bigger than I had expected it to be for pumptracking....oh well it was cheap.

I like switching it up between the ht and the coiler, both ride so differently. I guess the "pros" would endorse the ht for the track. A dj bike with a lower slung feel is probably ideal since that's what I see Weir and Lee M et al riding on the websites. I wish I had the dough to buy something else more suited to the track...keep me in mind for any deals you come accross please!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can they go in and "redo" what was done with the new linging? ouch but would be more carefree?

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Can they go in and "redo" what was done with the new linging? ouch but would be more carefree?
Probably, but unless it was reaaaalllllly necessary I am not personally interested in going through this again anytime soon! Sorry to hj this thread Daryl, didn't intend to.

·
just a man
1,863 Posts
Crash_Burn said:
I had a chance to try out a few bikes on PumpDoc4X's track, not all FS perform that same. His IronHorse single pivot worked really good! my Maverick worked ok but not as good as the IH, and like the big Doc said the Coiler is to tall.

I want a Bottle Rocket for the http://www.idahovelopark.org
I like the looks of that bike. You should buy one and then loan it to the Doc..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brett, if I get an IH VPS style bike it will def be the 6.x 6" travel version. I may get a Giant Reign X0 though, order from Bobs. 6.75" travel either one, just the frame. Why did Dan K sell his Ibis DW link? Seems he didn't have it for very long at all?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts