Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I posted this in wheels, but I wanted to make sure to get some local feedback. I am about to pull the trigger and can't choose betweem the 08 or 09 deetrax and the 08 Easton Havocs and wanted some input. I have also considered deemaxes (weight savings don't yet justify the cost for me) and hope pro/mavic 823s (based only on searching). Budget around $300-$400.

Here is what I have so far:

Deetrax
Pro: Strength, rep (friends and local shop), MP3 protection.
Con: Weight (3/4lb more than Havocs).

Havoc:
Pro: Weight, Good reviews
Con: Avail of spokes, no local feedback (yet)

Bio:
I am a relatively new biker, but learning fast, hitting singletrack and rocky decents. I am 6ft, 190ish with gear. I ride a Heckler and just upgraded to a Fox 36 talas. I like the ride down best, but also like the ride up for the workout/accomplishment. I like technical singletrack with 2-3ft drops and small jumps now, but want to do 5ftish drops plus 5-6ft gap jumps occasionally.

I live in the SF bay area and ride Santa Cuz (Sweetness, Magic Carpet etc.), Pacifica (more into mile than boyscout), Downieville, Tamarancho etc. but plan to hit Northstar next summer for some lift serviced action.

Can the Havocs handle years of the above riding or should I play it safe and take the weight hit of the deetraks?

Any wheels I am overlooking?

Thanks Guys!

·
1,113 Posts
how much do you weigh?

Have you ever destroyed any rims?

Do you need/plan to use ust?

The havocs are good even for 200+ riders, but the 823 rim is stronger.

Feedback is Deemax hubs aren't the most reliable

Your best bet is probably the custom set or the havocs.

I researched the havoc AM set and many heavy riders are using them with good success.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One_Speed said:
how much do you weigh?

Have you ever destroyed any rims?

Do you need/plan to use ust?

The havocs are good even for 200+ riders, but the 823 rim is stronger.

Feedback is Deemax hubs aren't the most reliable

Your best bet is probably the custom set or the havocs.

I researched the havoc AM set and many heavy riders are using them with good success.
Thanks for the reply. I am 190 with gear. New to mtb so no broken rims. No ust (at least for now).

I have heard hub issues with both wheelsets, so assume it comes with the pricepoint. Thanks for the advice!

·
1,113 Posts
Since your 190 I would go for the stronger options. That will also hold up as you improve.

No problem. The havoc have alot of good reviews. Do a search. Aslo they are basically a handbuilt wheel for less $$. Not too heavy and wide rims. Can save a little $$ with those probably. (new 08 models are 400 )

If you got the extra $$, I would go with 823 and hadley hubs. Lots of good feedback on the hope pro2's as well.

custom wheelset with hadley or hope is easily rebuildable and all the parts are easily availavble.

also keep an eye on craiglist.org, sometimes can find a nice slightly used set for cheap on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.