Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jason - boy are you in for a ball-buster but it is still my favorite race course I've ever been on to date. Here goes...

You start at the bottom of Deer Valley on the pavement and head up the jeep road to the right of the chair lift. About .25 miles up, you cut under the chair lift and cross the field into some very bumpy and single track. On the other side of the field there is a very steep climb that is only about 50 feet but a gut wrencher. Then you have to make a very tight hairpin turn and climb a little more into the woods but at this point it is not too bad a climb. The worst is to come...

When you come out of the woods, you are going to make another hairpin left turn and head up "Little Stick". This is a very steep, never ending-type gravel road that is the hardest part of this course. It is only about .5 mile but Little Stick gets steeper as you climb and by the time you are at the top, you are really hurting for sure! After Little Stick there are a couple of little climbs but the next 2 miles is REALLY fun fast downhill single track through woods. It is all very nice hard packed dirt where you'll want to have fast grippy tires. Be VERY CAREFUL of the steep hairpin turns on this downhill. They are a ton of fun but I've seen many people come in too hot and overshoot one of these turns. Big trouble then....:nono:

After absolutely flying down the single track you'll find youself between two mountians and this is where the longest climb starts. You'll start gradually climbing up the side of the second mountain and it is switchback after switchback of climbing for about 2 miles. It is all hard pack dirt here too but if you get stuck behind someone, it is very pard to pass here because it is so narrow and steep on each side. Once at the top, you will once again be greeted with some seriously fast downhill, but this time it is MUCH FASTER!!! There are a few very tight downhill switchbacks in the beginning of this downhill section but after that, get your balls out because you will be flying faster than just about anywhere in a XC race. Last year, I reached 28 mph in this section.

You'll come to a paved cul-de-sac where you will hang a left and do a short climb followed by the scariest and fastest downhill section of the trail. Again, singletrack and hardpacked but so fast that you will certainly be doing over 30 mph and have a short uphill climb through narrow woods followed by a sweeping left turn immediately following the fast downhill. After that, you ride the ridge that takes you back to the Start/Finish for another 1-2 miles. It is pretty flat but you are still a couple hundred feet above the Start/Finish line. The last mile is all downhill single track with switchback after switchback but you will finish the trails flying downhill onto the pavement and sprint to the finish. An absolute BLAST of a course.

Not sure about this year but last year, Beginners did 1.5 laps, Sport did 2 laps, Expert did 3 laps and Pros did 4 laps. As for tires, I rode my Maxxis CrossMark 2.1 and found them to be the perfect tire for that course. You want a good rolling tire instead of a big fat DH tire. This course WILL beat you up but it is so much fun! Good luck!! :thumbsup:

PS) definitely Pre Ride this course and if you get the chance, do the Super D too! It is really awesome and incorporates alot of the XC course. :cool:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Course may have changed for this year.

Bluemaxx...last year the course followed essentially the same route as the Intermountain cup race two weeks earlier, I assume this year it will do the same. But the second half of the lap for the Intermountain Cup race was different this year because of construction. Here is the difference, I'm betting that the NMBS race will share the changes.

When you ride into the cul du sac, you turn left, instead of right. That climb of endless switchbacks on an open slope was gone, replaced by some switchbacks and about an equal amount of climbing, but in the woods on singletrack. They really fixed my least favorite part of the course!

Total distance = 7 miles
Total vertical gain = 1100 ft.

My opinion of the course is that it is fairly buff singletrack. I must qualify this statement by stating that I don't know how the courses in Cali are. Compared to other Utah courses it is quite smooth with lots of black soil instead of the common rocks here.

Pictures of the intermountain cup race can be seen here. It was wet as this is a couple days after the snow melted off the course and it was actually snowing the morning of the race.

I will be running 2.25" Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (non UST) as I feel the course is tame enough to not cut the sidewalls. The start of this race is brutal, it is a climb for the first 10 minutes and NOBODY wants to loose position in the first 10 minutes. Be completely warmed up! Bring some technical skills and be sure to let the locals ride through ;)

Good luck and see you there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks That is awesome!!

Perfect course info! i appreciate the love. My wife races in the Pro cat and I am trying to get her bike dialed in. We will be there Thurs to preride. The area sounds like a blast. It will be a welcome change to the dusty deserts here in SoCal. Thanks again for the help!
Jason:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.