Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a last minute decision to make the trip to Deer Valley and was wondering what the course is like. The brochure mentions 8.5 miles and 1400 ft of climbing per lap. Does anyone have any more details of what to expect...tire recommendations, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Deer valley info

peterg7 said:
Can any give some more details on the course? Rocky, rooty, hardpack...? Tire suggestions? FS or HT?
Thank for the help
I've raced this course twice in our local intermountain cup race series. This is known for us as a "hardtail" course; probably the least technical course in our race series, but still very, very fun. This is one of those race courses that are fun to ride just for a ride. Few rocks here and there, but I don't remember any roots. I remember one spot towards the end of the lap that is steep going down with a couple of turns, but wasn't too tough to clear, some people walked it.

Pretty smooth tread, may be dusty, one rough spot on the first descent after the jeep road climb, that's about it. For tires, I would use a semi-slick rear and a small knobby front tire, like a python or similar. Pythons front and back would be fine. Any more knobby than that (like a Nevegal) is overkill. Kenda Karmas DTC are good as well, especially if it's dusty.

If coming from the low lands, try to arrive early to adjust to the altitude. The race starts around 7000 feet and goes up from there. Each lap is divided into four significant climbs, so it's not a straight up, straight down course. It's definitely a climbers course. Also, the race course has lots of uphill switchbacks which kills me for some reason; just zaps my energy. Love to ride it, but never have done well in it.

Here's some pictures of people racing it from this year and year before: http://www.joaquimhailer.com/findphoto.php?eventid=109
http://www.joaquimhailer.com/findphoto.php?eventid=57

It was pretty wet this year; but that's early June. Ponch

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks

Thanks Ponch- that's some good stuff. I'll be racing friday, so hopefully I'll get at it before it gets too dusty. I'll probably run maxxis crossmarks, or maybe michelin drys. I'm looking forward to exploring the local trails on saturday- any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
peterg7 said:
Thanks Ponch- that's some good stuff. I'll be racing friday, so hopefully I'll get at it before it gets too dusty. I'll probably run maxxis crossmarks, or maybe michelin drys. I'm looking forward to exploring the local trails on saturday- any suggestions?
My favorite ride in Park City is to do the following:

1. Go downtown and ride the shuttle bus from downtown to Silver Lake village; this saves 1000 feet of vertical and it's free.
2. Once at Silverlake by the lift chairs, go on the mid-mountain trail to Team Big Bear. Climb Team Big Bear till it hits Tour de Suds. This will be another 1000 feet of vert. If Team Big Bear is closed, then take mid-mountain to Tour de Suds and climb tour de Suds. BTW, Tour de Suds is a brutally steep climb at this juncture.
3. Take Tour de Suds to TG1 and TG2.
4. After TG2 you will be lost, but you can descend any trail to get to town. But try to link on to John's 99 to get to John's Trail, and go down the final descent to town down Sweeney Switchbacks. I've never been able to find John's 99 to get to John's. The top of the Town Lift is a good landmark to find John's trail. BTW, John's trail is very rooty, but it's dry roots.
5. Another option after TG2 is to take Midmountain to Spiro, and descend that to town. The only problem is that Spiro has a lot of uphill traffic.

This ride takes you through some great, hand cut singletrack that gives you the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. Take lots of water and food, because of route finding time.

When you get a map this will make more sense. You can buy a map of all the trails at any local bike shop for two bucks. On the map you can see how these trails link together.

My other favorite trail is "Spin Cycle", because of the very end it has this section that feels like you're riding in a half pipe. I believe the Marathon race will go through there.

The mid-mountain trail is also a great trail that is easier to follow. I'm just prefer to ride the hand cut rather than machine cut singletrack. It's all good though.

More park city trail info is here:
http://www.mountaintrails.org/

Ponch

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Padre said:
Is the XC one lap or more?
XC should be one lap for beginners, two laps for sport, 3 laps for expert, etc. Earlier this season, our local sport riders were finishing the course around 1:30, experts around 2:00. But our local riders are faster than most ;) .

More importantly...is the marathon course (25 miles 8800') one lap or two? Anyone got info on that?

Here's the map. It is one loop.

http://www.teambigbear.com/pdfs/DeerValley_Course_MA.pdf

That is a culmination of some of the funnest singletrack in Deer Valley. Sounds like a great course. I would recommend an XC FS bike for this course. The downhill will be pretty long and rough in spots. Especially at the top of Spin Cycle.

From the map I can't tell what downhill is from Bald Mountain. It appears to be Aspen Slalom from comparison with another map. If it is, then definitely use a light FS. You will be descending lift accessed trails, so they may be a bit torn up. You may want good knobs as well, like a Nevegal 2.1 on front and a lighter faster roller on the rear. You'll be descending 2000 feet all in one shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.