Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us are planning on heading up to Deer Valley from Phoenix over the 4th of July weekend to do some Downhilling. Through other threads it sounds like alot of the runs weren't open due to snow, but nobody has posted recently so maybe it's melted?

It's a long drive and I wanna be sure that we aren't wasting our trip. None of us have been there before so any info would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
was riding up there all weekend... snow is not an issue for any closures. The snow that was on Fireswamp last week is melted off... now trail is all talc powedered out from the intermediate riders getting on there and locking the rear wheel the whole way down.... arrrrgh !! Aspen Slalom and Thieves forest were open this weekend too (prev. closed w/ snow) Aspen slalom had coulple corners shortened up to get around some remaning snow, but with the heat this week... should be totally gone by the 4th.
--see ya up there !

·
Registered
117 Posts
We were up there most of the day yesterday (Sunday) watching the Pro Men and Women's National DH series. Didn't appear to be much snow left, and the lower trails are even starting to get that "moon dust" look and feel. The shuttle lifts were running and there were lots of folks riding.

·
Sun Devils
323 Posts
How are the trails there?

I'm heading up from Phoenix as well... Were going to take over Utah DH since AZ is being ghey this year and decided to yank our lift access. Anyway, how do the trails compare? Has anyone rode elsewhere such as Colorado, Nor Cal/Reno area, Arizona, etc... Are we talking 10' doubles, 30' doubles?? Lots of drops? Fast/Flowy? Were definetly used to the powdery stuff so thats not a problem.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
It is hard to find a Utard sitting at his computer this time of year. Particularly THIS year, after our long snow season.

C

·
Registered
117 Posts
chuky said:
Particularly THIS year, after our long snow season.
That's the truth!

I'm not a DHer, but here are some suggestions:
Deer Valley (you knew this one)
Sundance (30 - 40 minutes Southwest)
Wolf Mountain (hour or so North)

Another option on your way up is to check out Brian Head Resort. It's about 4 hours South. I hear good things about the runs, and it would break up the trip.

Also, pose your questions on the "DH / Freeride" forum at UtahMountainBiking.com. The guys and gals there are pretty active and responsive.

PG_Gary

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
"What are Doubles?" -Deer Valley Management

gnar602 said:
I'm heading up from Phoenix as well... Were going to take over Utah DH since AZ is being ghey this year and decided to yank our lift access. Anyway, how do the trails compare? Has anyone rode elsewhere such as Colorado, Nor Cal/Reno area, Arizona, etc... Are we talking 10' doubles, 30' doubles?? Lots of drops? Fast/Flowy? Were definetly used to the powdery stuff so thats not a problem.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PG_Gary said:
That's the truth!

I'm not a DHer, but here are some suggestions:
Deer Valley (you knew this one)
Sundance (30 - 40 minutes Southwest)
Wolf Mountain (hour or so North)

Another option on your way up is to check out Brian Head Resort. It's about 4 hours South. I hear good things about the runs, and it would break up the trip.

Also, pose your questions on the "DH / Freeride" forum at UtahMountainBiking.com. The guys and gals there are pretty active and responsive.

PG_Gary
Thanks for the info mang!:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.