Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at two condos in Sept. One down by the base from what I can figure (Lakeside Cir), and one at mid mountain (Silver Lake, Ridgepoint Rd).

Base area one is cheaper, bigger and has a 2 car garage to store bikes (we may bring extra bikes if we have a garage!)...... It looks to be a simple pedal across the parking lots to the base area.

Is there any big reason to consider going up to mid mountain (would have to store bikes in unit or on deck)?

We are currently only planning to buy lift tickets one day. We may however do some of the XC trails around there. Only planning to bring one vehicle so shuttling anything would likely have to be a commercial outfit.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Not really. If you want to do XC riding, you're probably better off lower down, honestly - can finish most rides with a descent that way (though not everything as DV is a ways above PCMR).

The only advantage to staying higher up at the base of the bike park would be if you're planning nothing but lift riding.

-Walt

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. If you want to do XC riding, you're probably better off lower down, honestly - can finish most rides with a descent that way (though not everything as DV is a ways above PCMR).

The only advantage to staying higher up at the base of the bike park would be if you're planning nothing but lift riding.

-Walt
Thanks Walt, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Not having to drag bikes up stairs, through a condo (without leaving a mess on someones carpet) and cramming them onto a balcony sounds pretty nice. (Not to mention being like $200 cheaper!). Maybe we'll even bring the road bikes as well now.... (OK, probably not).

We're hoping to limit driving for dinners, etc.. hoping between the buses and maybe some stuff near enough to walk or ride to at the resort that we can park the truck for the most part.

·
Registered
446 Posts
cobi you've probably made reservations by now, but I wanted to add +1 to previous comments. You'll be close to the DV base area & the free bus system.
After years organizing trips to PC and now living here, I don't think I'd stay at Silver Lake--it feels distant from town (though fine for skiing/riding past, and for very occasional brunch at the Glitretind--yum).
DV has been moving their bike operations down to their Snow Park base area, and as part of that effort I think they'll finish a new flow trail down to Snow Park this summer. For a lift day I like some of the lower trails as much as the upper ones.
And, a bigger place with a garage for bikes is so helpful... Enjoy!
<edit> the new blue flow trail on the lower area, Undertow, is now open.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cobi you've probably made reservations by now, but I wanted to add +1 to previous comments. You'll be close to the DV base area & the free bus system.
After years organizing trips to PC and now living here, I don't think I'd stay at Silver Lake--it feels distant from town (though fine for skiing/riding past, and for very occasional brunch at the Glitretind--yum).
DV has been moving their bike operations down to their Snow Park base area, and as part of that effort I think they'll finish a new flow trail down to Snow Park this summer. For a lift day I like some of the lower trails as much as the upper ones.
And, a bigger place with a garage for bikes is so helpful... Enjoy!
We did book. From what I can tell, we are down on the very south end of Lakeside Cir (backed up to Doe Pass Rd and Lot 4) which appears to be a short pedal from the base.

Now just need to figure out what we'll ride each day.......

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we head over to Deer Valley this weekend. We are on Lakeside Cir. right below DV for reference.

If anyone wants to chime in with some alternate ride suggestions I'm all ears. Three of us are going, one in good shape, me in "not great" shape but have almost 3k miles in for the year (I'm slow, but I'll make it....) and another that has barely been riding this year who's probably going to be hurting and may ride less (or do more lift served). So I'm trying to figure out good options for a broad range (not everyone is going to be happy). We are coming up from Grand Junction/Fruita (4,600 ft elevation). We are all intermediate to advanced skill wise. Blacks are fine in moderation, but Blues are good fun too!

Friday - We'll get in early afternoon, get settled in the condo then I was thinking we will want to do a shortish ride to spin out the legs a bit. Was thinking it probably makes sense to just ride right from the condo. I saw in another thread someone suggested Rossi Hill \ TDS Ontario Bypass \ Mid Mountain to Silver Lake \ Four Point \ Devo \ Old Skool \ Pointy Rocks. Having trouble figuring out a good estimate of total distance / elevation gain on this one. Anyone know? Other alternative recommendations?

Saturday - Some portion of Wasatch Crest possibly (may have to shuttle the way it's probably looking). Gonna do more research on options hopefully tonight and reach out to a friend that had suggested a route a few weeks back. Depending on the difficulty of the morning ride (and if we shuttle) we or at least 2 of us may do a ride in the evening. Sounds like Wasatch isn't super easy even if you shuttle (depending on your route down I guess). Mid mountain I heard is very up/down. EDIT: Sounds like he would recommend we shuttle and finish in PC, avoiding mid-mountain.

Sunday - Buy a lift ticket. Closing day at the park.

Monday - A short morning ride, need to be back, cleaned up , packed and out of the condo by 11am. Was thinking just riding from the condo again probably makes sense. Or we could pack up, go ride somewhere else and then just head home without getting cleaned up first. 5 hours driving home while stinking doesn't sound great though, not that we haven't done it before.

Should we try to work flying Dog in one of the days? Looks to be about 10 miles away from DV, so if we are trying not to drive much, I'm guessing not a great option. It looks like we will have a LOT of options for riding right out the front door, so having a hard time convincing myself to drive to a trailhead at this point.

WOW trail I keep reading mixed reviews on. Sounds like it is better to just do as an out and back, instead of bothering to shuttle (we are only planning to bring 1 vehicle currently). Consider it, or just leave it for a future trip? I'm guessing skip it for this one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
DV trip

A few quick comments--

When you get to town, get a Mountain Trails map at a local bike shop. Also download Trailforks if you don't already have it. Both are great for navigating. There's also a helpful DV-specific map at http://cdn.deervalley.com/web/sitecore/maps/SummerTrailMap.pdf.

The weather has cooled to autumn temps with some rain, so watch the forecast to optimize your ride timing. If it doesn't rain a lot it'll often soak in. Mountain Trails Foundation typically posts weekend trail conditions; see mountaintrails.org or https://www.facebook.com/mountaintrailsfoundation. If it rains much, the lower elevation sunnier trails will dry soonest.

Friday - I usually reach Ontario/TdS from Daly Avenue so I don't know how Rossi is lately, but it should work.

I'd estimate 1200' climbing from your condo to Mid-mountain, then gradually downhill from Mid-mountain to Silver Lake. Before you reach Mid-mountain you'll cross a paved road <edit: if you take Rossi you'll cross the paved road twice>, and then <above the 2nd crossing> there's an intersection with a dirt road--it goes to Silver Lake if you take a left. To continue up to Mid-mountain take a right on the dirt road & you'll see the TdS-Ontario bypass trail heading uphill on the left after a short distance.

From Silver Lake to get to Four Point you'll need to ride uphill a short distance. Look for a dirt road to the left of Silver Lake Express lift--the dirt road parallels the homes on the left. You'll cross a paved road, climb a bit more & then reach a point where you'll see trail signs. Personally I'd skip Devo/etc. on your first lap and take Four Point to Deer Crest. There's been some construction near the intersection of Four Point & Deer Crest, but last week they had a short bypass route.

Saturday - There are commercial shuttles (e.g., Big Rack Shuttle) that you can reserve online. Note that general deer hunting season starts sometime soon; I think the resorts on the PC side are generally private land, but a lot of the Crest is Forest Service land. After dropping from the Crest to Mid-mountain you can either ride Mid-mountain back (rolly/up & down as you noted) or take the bus from hwy 224 & Canyons Resort Drive. I recently rode the Crest with a shuttle from Guardsman, 15.25 miles with 990' climbing between Guardsman and the Canyons, then down to Mid-mountain, over to Ricochet & down.

Sunday sounds good for a lift day.

Monday - There's a network of trails in the St. Regis area (to the left of Snow Park Lodge at the base of DV). That could be a good option for a short ride.

If I had 2 days and 2 part days, I'd skip Flying Dog and WOW and stay in the PC/DV area--lots of trail mileage to explore near town.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few quick comments--

When you get to town, get a Mountain Trails map at a local bike shop. Also download Trailforks if you don't already have it. Both are great for navigating. There's also a helpful DV-specific map at http://cdn.deervalley.com/web/sitecore/maps/SummerTrailMap.pdf.

The weather has cooled to autumn temps with some rain, so watch the forecast to optimize your ride timing. If it doesn't rain a lot it'll often soak in. Mountain Trails Foundation typically posts weekend trail conditions; see mountaintrails.org or https://www.facebook.com/mountaintrailsfoundation. If it rains much, the lower elevation sunnier trails will dry soonest.

Friday - I usually reach Ontario/TdS from Daly Avenue so I don't know how Rossi is lately, but it should work.

I'd estimate 1200' climbing from your condo to Mid-mountain, then gradually downhill from Mid-mountain to Silver Lake. Before you reach Mid-mountain you'll cross a paved road <edit: if you take Rossi you'll cross the paved road twice>, and then <above the 2nd crossing> there's an intersection with a dirt road--it goes to Silver Lake if you take a left. To continue up to Mid-mountain take a right on the dirt road & you'll see the TdS-Ontario bypass trail heading uphill on the left after a short distance.

From Silver Lake to get to Four Point you'll need to ride uphill a short distance. Look for a dirt road to the left of Silver Lake Express lift--the dirt road parallels the homes on the left. You'll cross a paved road, climb a bit more & then reach a point where you'll see trail signs. Personally I'd skip Devo/etc. on your first lap and take Four Point to Deer Crest. There's been some construction near the intersection of Four Point & Deer Crest, but last week they had a short bypass route.

Saturday - There are commercial shuttles (e.g., Big Rack Shuttle) that you can reserve online. Note that general deer hunting season starts sometime soon; I think the resorts on the PC side are generally private land, but a lot of the Crest is Forest Service land. After dropping from the Crest to Mid-mountain you can either ride Mid-mountain back (rolly/up & down as you noted) or take the bus from hwy 224 & Canyons Resort Drive. I recently rode the Crest with a shuttle from Guardsman, 15.25 miles with 990' climbing between Guardsman and the Canyons, then down to Mid-mountain, over to Ricochet & down.

Sunday sounds good for a lift day.

Monday - There's a network of trails in the St. Regis area (to the left of Snow Park Lodge at the base of DV). That could be a good option for a short ride.

If I had 2 days and 2 part days, I'd skip Flying Dog and WOW and stay in the PC/DV area--lots of trail mileage to explore near town.
Thanks lkgeo,

I usually like to stop and buy a map everywhere we go. I use MTB Project for navigation but like paper for planning, reminiscing, etc... will definitely do that. Any specific shop recommendation?

Sounds like we are on the right track. I think I'm leaning the way you are about just riding as much as possible from the DV area. Leave Flying Dog and others for another trip.

You said it's about 1200' climbing up to Mid Mountain, any guess on the distance of the loop you mentioned? Tried to piece the info together but it looked like only about 6 miles or so I think I am missing a few pieces (that seems like a good chunk of climbing in 6 miles......).

Thanks for the recommendation on St. Regis. I had seen that area on the summer map, and the location looked promising but didn't have a name for it. That's Gap Trail, St Regis, Village, Pipeline & others I assume? Looked super close to us.

As for the Crest, I looked into the shuttle option with Big Rack and looks like plenty of spots currently. Our friend has also said if we want to ride up, he'll just meet us up top (shuttle). So we may consider that as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip. Certainly there are a lot of trails in the area with no need to drive. You can piece together a million different options from the base of PCMR or DV. I would personally skip WOW, I would, however, recommend flying dog. It would be a fun trail to hit on your way out of town. Starting at the spring Creek trailhead going counter clockwise is really fun and not that long. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
I usually like to stop and buy a map everywhere we go. I use MTB Project for navigation but like paper for planning, reminiscing, etc... will definitely do that. Any specific shop recommendation?
There are several good shops near the intersection of hwy 224 (Park Ave.) and Deer Valley Drive. White Pine Touring is the most mtb-focused.

You said it's about 1200' climbing up to Mid Mountain, any guess on the distance of the loop you mentioned? Tried to piece the info together but it looked like only about 6 miles or so I think I am missing a few pieces (that seems like a good chunk of climbing in 6 miles......).
I rode a similar loop a few weeks ago, but up Daly--the loop was 10 miles with 1355' of climbing, including the little climb from Silver Lake.

Thanks for the recommendation on St. Regis. I had seen that area on the summer map, and the location looked promising but didn't have a name for it. That's Gap Trail, St Regis, Village, Pipeline & others I assume? Looked super close to us.
Yes, exactly. Also the Snow Top-Solamere loop is pretty nice; from the Gap I like to ride it counterclockwise. Village and Pipeline are on the back side of a ridge, so if you drop into that area leave time to ride back out/over the ridge & down.

I think you'll like your lodging location--close to trails and the Lime bus route (free), which will take you to the old town transit center. The Deer Valley Cafe is also nearby, good for snacks & lunch.

As for the Crest, I looked into the shuttle option with Big Rack and looks like plenty of spots currently. Our friend has also said if we want to ride up, he'll just meet us up top (shuttle). So we may consider that as well.
Sounds good. A couple options are to take the Purple bus up to Montage and ride Mid-mountain north to Tommy's Two Step - 3 Candles - Keystone - Blazing Saddles, up to the Crest--at which point you'll need to climb up Puke Hill, a short-ish, somewhat loose dirt road section. The bus should save about 1200' of climbing, though Mid-mountain will add a bit. Or you could climb up Armstrong and Pinecone from the base of Park City resort. That should be about 8.5 miles and close to 3000' of climbing to the Crest (though you'd skip Puke Hill : ) Armstrong is up-only and both Armstrong and Pinecone are relatively recent trails, built well for climbing.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI, they are calling for 5-10" of snow Thurs-Fri, so Crest may be off the table.

Have a back up plan.
Good point! It's that time of year. Was really hoping to hit the fall colors.... checking the DV mountain cams yesterday looks like we may be a bit early still.

Have been watching the DV weather, but hadn't started considering snow too much yet (and we've gotten a few dustings up high in CO already). We will definitely have a backup plan for WC.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fall colors are late this year too, for all I know we'll miss them entirely.....
Here too, went riding up on the Grand Mesa above GJ this weekend and saw nothing at 9K..... and we are like 10 days from the official "Color Sunday". Was hoping we'd get something...... but the cameras make me think otherwise. We can just never seem to time it right.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Fall colors are late this year too, for all I know we'll miss them entirely.....
Yes. Odd. School used to start on (or about) 24 August and looking out my window toward the Olympic park, I'd always see the colors just beginning. It has been a odd summer. Seemed like summer started late also and very wet early on. Looking out the window, they've now begun to change. I'm heading to TWE Friday. It'll be interesting to see if they're on schedule.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.