Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...memorial-state-park-will-host-public-meeting/

I've ridden the first 2 sections of re-routed trail, and they're as boring as beige. No technically climbs up rocky, root-covered ground, just flat, boring singletrack that your grandmother could ride on a rigid.

I wish they would have just repaired the old sections instead of what they've done. How about getting public feedback before the start of the project, instead of after? :madman:

·
Registered
135 Posts
It had been quite a while since I'd ridden at Rock Bridge (years not weeks), but today we made it there for a ride. I was surprised (and completely impressed) by the connector trail from Sinkhole to Deer Run. It was fast and flowy and pretty well burned in. I may have overcooked a corner or two in my excitement. I also was surprised by the re-routes in the back of Deer Run. Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. They didn't put a damper on my ride at all. In fact, they were, for the most part, well done. I don't want to be contrary, or make a stink, but Rock Bridge isn't the place to go for technical challenges. It's great for going as fast as your legs and lungs can go. Technical is somewhere else. Ride it again and give it another chance. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried to put blue circles around the places where the reroutes were on Deer Run (I could be off a bit), but you get the idea. Also, the new trail connects the Sinkhole trail to Spring Brook, which runs into Deer Run after a creek crossing. I appologize for that mistake. I will say that there are two rocky hills (one is quite steep next to the Devil's Icebox trail) on Sinkhole. The trail coming down Spring Brook to the creek crossing and on to Deer Run is rocky and tough to climb as well. Sorry if I'm thinking the wrong trail.

Attachments

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your top circle on the map is where they're currently re-routing the trail. It''ll no longer go around the North-West corner of the park, and down along the very edge, because someone built a huge house there, and the park authorities--for whatever reason--don't want the trail running along so close behind the house (wouldn't be surprised if someone was paid off).

The lower circle may or may not eventually have new trail there, but I really hope it just stays how it is. The chunky rocks and roots make it a hard climb, and I like that.

The section you were talking about in your previous post was built last spring, and connects Sinkhole with Spring Brook (not Deer Run). It's a great section of trail, and helps bypass the parking lot if you don't want to leave the trail system to go from one to the other. Used to be, you'd have to do a mile or so on Sinkhole, then be right back at the parking lot again, then have to climb that long rock garden that's park of Spring Brook. Most people walk that, but I like riding it. It's a PITA, though, so it's nice to be able to bypass that rocky climb on days I don't feel like doing it (like when the rocks are slimy).

BTW, that's my map you posted up there. :) I had to scan an older map I picked up at the trail head and Photoshop the piss out of it to make it look good, because the parks department won't make a good quality map available online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts