Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got on the Leopard road bike yesterday and rode around Parker Ranch hood by Fremont Older. I saw some huge turkey buzzards on someones property so I investigated. It was a fresh deer kill and they were deboning it. I thought mountain lion for sure!

I saw the house owner (or he saw me) and we started talking. He said it was probably coyotes since they hunt in packs over there. I said 'no way' since they can't take down an animal this powerful. He said there's so many deer and coyote around his place these days. Can coyote take down deer?

Then later on my ride, I saw three coyote on someone's property. They were kind of big and strong. Dude, if your toddler or cat walked out there at night...or day...

Then the sunset came out. It just kept going and going with the light show. Wish I had a camera.

Fc

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
A mtn lion will often kill out of opportunity, then leave the carcass up to a couple days until he's ready to eat. At that point he'll come back and may drag it off to a new location.

I don't know if coyotes are opportunistic hunters though, I figure given the pack size they'd eat immediately, at least to take home to the pups.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Coyote may not of taken down the deer, but if the Deer was injured in some way, it might have been an oppurtunistic kill/carrion situation.

Some of the Local Coyotes here in the "Valley" are quite large, in the 50-60lbs range, So a small deer wouldn't be unthinkable as well.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I have photos. I just wanted to check if I could still hold a conversation without pics.

Here is the house. Hall Ranch Road in Saratoga
From 2010-12-09

What do we got here....
From 2010-12-09

Post turkey ride feast!!!!!
From 2010-12-09

From 2010-12-09

Owner said it appeared in the morning and there have been as many as 5 vultures.
From 2010-12-09

Half a mile away, I saw three coyotes with a bad attitude. Damnnnn!
From 2010-12-09

RJ3 gave me a Leopard to play with. Very fast, very carbon bike.
From 2010-12-09

Sunset was weak but riches are there for those who wait
From 2010-12-09

From 2010-12-09

Safety lights to get me home
From 2010-12-09

From 2010-12-09

·
Registered
448 Posts
About 10 years back while running in the local county park I saw the park ranger taking photos of a dead deer. He said it was a mountain lion attack and pointed out that the guts of the deer were unscratched but hanging over the back of the deer. He said mountain lions don't eat the guts but want the organs/meat behind the guts (heart, liver). So they pull the guts out of the way.

The mountain lion that patrols my local hill likes to dettach the gut and put them in the middle of the trail. I think it is a statement to all who use that trail. The mountain lion is letting us know he is out there and we should beware.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dagenhay said:
About 10 years back while running in the local county park I saw the park ranger taking photos of a dead deer. He said it was a mountain lion attack and pointed out that the guts of the deer were unscratched but hanging over the back of the deer. He said mountain lions don't eat the guts but want the organs/meat behind the guts (heart, liver). So they pull the guts out of the way.

The mountain lion that patrols my local hill likes to dettach the gut and put them in the middle of the trail. I think it is a statement to all who use that trail. The mountain lion is letting us know he is out there and we should beware.
True that. Mountain lion slice the innards out and drag the kill away from the dirty stuff. I was going to investigate but these birds were angry.

And with 50-100 mountain lion in the greater bay area, there will be deer carcass regularly. They eat about 1 deer every 3 days. So it should be normal to see fresh carcass. This is just a little close to a house so it piqued my curiousity.

The homeowner said he'd see up to a dozen deer in his property these days. And they eat up everything in the garden.

fc

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
As someone mentioned if it was coyotes I bet it was a sickly or injured animal. They definitely hunt in packs in the Tahoe hood there also pretty sneaky, they'll sent a lone one out to try a lure a neighborhood dog up to where they will pounce on the unsuspecting pup.

I trained this one to bust trail for me while Backcountry skiing ;) took this photo Thanksgiving week.

Attachments

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Mountain lion party wing!

I would look for scat with fur in it.

In Marin Co. I've seen two Mountian lions on the trail while riding; one was startled and was gone in a blink and the other took its time and I went the other way.

I have a photo that I'll dig up of a turd the length of my foot with fur in it. Seems unlikely to be a coyote scat or Bobcat's.

Here's a leg I found a few months back.

Attachments

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
johnnyb said:
I would look for scat with fur in it.

In Marin Co. I've seen two Mountian lions on the trail while riding; one was startled and was gone in a blink and the other took its time and I went the other way.

I have a photo that I'll dig up of a turd the length of my foot with fur in it. Seems unlikely to be a coyote scat or Bobcat's.

Here's a leg I found a few months back.
That'd make a nice soup...

·
middle ring single track
4,679 Posts
Zombies obviously...

I'd bet that the deer was hit by a car in the street and then crawled into the back yard and died. (maybe coyotes helped it along?) Scavangers did the rest.

The mountain lion kills I've been party to the cats tended to hide their kills and cover them over. They seem to like their privacy and know how to protect it from scavengers. One deer was taken from my son's back yard and was drug 50+/- yards down a hill through some very tight brush, over logs, etc.

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
pliebenberg said:
I'd bet that the deer was hit by a car in the street and then crawled into the back yard and died. (maybe coyotes helped it along?) Scavangers did the rest.

The mountain lion kills I've been party to the cats tended to hide their kills and cover them over. They seem to like their privacy and know how to protect it from scavengers. One deer was taken from my son's back yard and was drug 50+/- yards down a hill through some very tight brush, over logs, etc.
Tru' dat. I live in ml country and they like their meat "aged". Open kills are either coyotes or feral dogs.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
johnnyb said:
So here's what I see all over in the Marin hills. Anyone care to match it to an animal?

Not quite the length of my foot, but the chits big.
Mesopotamian Aardvark. Quite rare in Marin. Consider a photo of scat very lucky

1 - 19 of 19 Posts