Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday was my annual car emissions/Deer Creek trip, (poor planning, two tags that renew in April, with emissions requirement staggered), and it felt like it was quite a bit gnarlier than last April.
The rocky sections before you even get into the trees seemed much worse, certainly doable, but a lot more tech than I recall. Forget about the wall, I haven’t even attempted that in at least 5 years, but approaching the waterpoles, (much too large to be just waterbars), there are 12inch+ drops and crazy rocky.

And yes, I am older and slower, that may be a large part of my perception, but that was a lot of work to get up to the top.

·
650b me
1,486 Posts
I can't compare to last April, but the trail has definitely gotten gnarlier over the years. I love the upper loops, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the effort to get up there anymore. Another member of the older and slower club.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It has gradually gotten gnarlier over the years, but I think the heavy rains last fall accelerated that a bit.

Still a fun trail though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You shouldn't have gone public with your thoughts. You'll fire up the Jeffco Sanitation Department. Those waterbars will be turned into cute trenches, the rocks will be rolled off the trail, trails will be widened even more, and tons of dirt will be dumped over the whole thing. "Welcome to the DC CX Course. If you like what we've done, also check out the Cherry Creek Bike Path. Fast and smooth!"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just what DC needs. Some complaining and JCOS response will be some sanitizing.

"We'll clean it for you so you feel better"..that's JCOS mantra

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just what DC needs. Some complaining and JCOS response will be some sanitizing.

"We'll clean it for you so you feel better"..that's JCOS mantra
I am not a fan of the JCOS clean up work, I recall the "improvements" at 3 sis/Evr grn mtn, almost like an attempt to make them ADA complianant.
My post was not meant as a complaint, certainly not going to engage JCOS, I did enjoy the downhill and there were more than a few that were working the uphills pretty well, no change needed, I suck at that trail, but there are many other choices that suit me old, slow capabilities

·
Registered
5 Posts
You mention Bergen in your profile too. The "improvements" at the top of it last year were along the same sad blueprint as Three Sisters and White Ranch. Overlooking the tragedy component, a hundred year flood does bring the rocks back. In the case of Apex, Jeffco could now easily add some gap jumps if they didn't need the ADA compliance.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
Everything up there is an improvement, IMO. I do have to hike up more at The Wall then I used to, but it all makes for MOAR FUN!! That's my favorite local trail 'cause it's some fun gnar.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything up there is an improvement, IMO. I do have to hike more at The Wall then I used to, but it all makes for MOAR FUN!! That's my favorite local trail 'cause it's some fun gnar.
yeah, both loops at the top were a blast, as was the downhill, albeit sketchy at times with the rain slickened rocks, but don't remember struggling as much, perhaps my memory is fading as well...

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mention Bergen in your profile too. The "improvements" at the top of it last year were along the same sad blueprint as Three Sisters and White Ranch. Overlooking the tragedy component, a hundred year flood does bring the rocks back. In the case of Apex, Jeffco could now easily add some gap jumps if they didn't need the ADA compliance.
Have not seen the changes at the top....perhaps I should update my profile to reflect my new favorite trail, Cherry Creek bike path.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've noticed that as well, but I put it down to me getting older and being more of a pu55y than I use to be :)
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've noticed that as well, but I put it down to me getting older and being more of a pu55y than I use to be :)
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
HA, I can relate too easily to that comment

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
All trails change with time. How they change depends on use, grade, soil type, and how well the trail was designed in the first place. Steeper, fall line trails will get beat up to the point that the managing agency will go in and do some work or maybe even re-route them to the predictable howls of protest from a segment of the trail using public shouting in horror and protest "sanitize sanitize sanitize!!" After a certain amount of time and use, the trail will get hammered back into a state that will trigger the cycle all over again.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
All trails change with time. How they change depends on use, grade, soil type, and how well the trail was designed in the first place. Steeper, fall line trails will get beat up to the point that the managing agency will go in and do some work or maybe even re-route them to the predictable howls of protest from a segment of the trail using public shouting in horror and protest "sanitize sanitize sanitize!!" After a certain amount of time and use, the trail will get hammered back into a state that will trigger the cycle all over again.
Add to that the fact that nobody ever wants anything to change... and you've got an eMpTBeeR rant thread!

·
Registered
598 Posts
This morning I rode DC for the first time this year. It didn't seem different from last fall, as always it humbled me.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
I'm heading there in about an hour. I'll provide another 1st-hand report.

Edit: So relatively speaking Deer Creek is actually in very good shape. Better than last fall (less loose stuff) and up top trail was mostly nice and tacky.

The Wall is easily rideable in the DH direction - again, less loose than last summer/fall.

That said - I got my a$$ handed to me by the Crik and I did have to pay the Deer Creek Tube Tax once I got below the wall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts