Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BICP Level 2 Certified
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family has had a place out there for years, and other than Wisp Resort, I don't know of any good single track with in a 30 minute ride of Oakland or McHenry (two towns around Deep Creek). Can you guys help me out on this? We have about 6 miles of 4 wheeler trails out there that I ride, but it's not the same as a flowy single track along a ridge. I think I read some where that MORE and IMBA are working on stuff out there, but I don't where and what they are working on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you talk about the mountain biking at Wisp are you including the trails in the Fork Run Recreation Area? There is some good single track back there. There are not a lot of trails but enough for a decent ride to take up a couple hours. I couldn't find a real trail map but this does show the route from the bottom to the top of Wisp and you can see the other trails around it as well.
Fork Run Parking to Wisp - Trail running trip | EveryTrail

The best option within 30 minutes is Bear Creak Lake. The trails are well marked and the map is very accurate. $5 entrance fee but it is worth it. This trail system actually has me looking forward to my next trip with the in-laws to Deep Creek!
Big Bear Lake > Hiking and Biking

·
BICP Level 2 Certified
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I've heard of Fork Run, and Margroff plantation, as well as Big Bear, but never ridden any of these places. Big Bear looks like it has some serious potential, as well as Margroff Plantation. Fork run looks like an out an back type trail, with small loops on either end. Are the Fork run / Big Bear trails dirt single track? Or are they like the trails at Herrington manner, all grass?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Forks Run was all single track.

Big Bear was nearly all single track and some of what I would classify as long abandoned fire/mining roads.

Both spots are fun.

·
BICP Level 2 Certified
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! We do have about 6 miles of 4 wheeling / old logging trails that I will ride from time to on the property. The problem is they all pretty much go straight down and straight back up (sideways on a hill on a 4 wheeler makes for a very unstable ride)...We cut them for motors, not legs and bikes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Margroff right now has 2 parts of the trail that are unrideable due to logging. Fork run is in great shape and is good to go. Big Bear is either 5 dollars a day or 35 for season pass. If your going to ride alot its worth the money. Very good trails there. Also there is a 5.5 mile trail starting at herrington manner that is more single track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts