Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a new set of 04 Deemax for $500. Is there another wheelset out there that is as light (and as strong)?

I need a 20mm front setup and a standard rear.

No need for heavy wheels ...I don't race DH, and my drops are in the 6-7 foot range max. I already had the heavy duty set-up....it's time to lighten the load.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
freeriderB said:
I can get a new set of 04 Deemax for $500. Is there another wheelset out there that is as light (and as strong)?

I need a 20mm front setup and a standard rear.

No need for heavy wheels ...I don't race DH, and my drops are in the 6-7 foot range max. I already had the heavy duty set-up....it's time to lighten the load.

Thanks in advance.
Try the Azonic wheelt set the rear comes with 10 or 12mm and the front comes with 10 or 20mm axels. I'm 235lbs, they have held up to some serious down hill riding

·
Registered
43 Posts
J_B said:
DeeMax has thru axle rear end. There is no conversion kit. At least on the '04's. Go with something better. Trail Pimps w/ Hadleys. That is the best set up I have found so far.
he said light....trailpimps would be way too heavy.

go with 321(729) and hadley rear, whatever upfront(i chose a bulb cause the versitility)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sam Alter said:
he said light....trailpimps would be way too heavy.

go with 321(729) and hadley rear, whatever upfront(i chose a bulb cause the versitility)
No Sheeott he said light. I didn't say they were light...I said "go with something better". Hadley 20mm hubs convert to quick release. Bulbs are sweet though.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,940 Posts
the azonic outlaws are crazy strong and they are way lighter than any of those other wheelsets, i bet even plenty lighter than the deemax set.
i've been beating them for some time now with no issues......

<----- they hold up to this all the time

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
get the dee max...

in yellow those things are the pimpinest thing you can get for ur bike...and there super light and stroug i want some on my new ride...

spinergy wheels are really nice and so are atomlab trail pimp wheels...but for light freeride most stuff will do the job...

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Atomlab customer service sucks, i will never buy a single product from that sh*tty ass company EVER AGAIN. I hit 6-7fters with my deemax all the time, however they are to transitions, if you are going to be hitting 6+ft to flat alot, the deemax might not be the best option as said above. The new 321s (i forget the new number, i dont know why they changed it to begin with :rolleyes: ) on a hadley rear hub would be killer. You could save some cash and run a marzocchi front hub for 70$. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weight difference

does the DeeMax really feel lighter than most freeride/DH wheels out there?

If yes, I will probably go with them.

I want to stay away from the weight associated with Mag 30's, Double Wides.....

If I got a Marz front hub on a Mavic 321, how would it feel compared to the front DeeMax?

Thanks for all the input....

Banshee Rider said:
Atomlab customer service sucks, i will never buy a single product from that sh*tty ass company EVER AGAIN. I hit 6-7fters with my deemax all the time, however they are to transitions, if you are going to be hitting 6+ft to flat alot, the deemax might not be the best option as said above. The new 321s (i forget the new number, i dont know why they changed it to begin with :rolleyes: ) on a hadley rear hub would be killer. You could save some cash and run a marzocchi front hub for 70$. Good luck.

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
I just got some DeeMax

I don't have much to compare them to, but they were definately lighter than my previous 36 hole wheels. They feel lighter and faster. I think it has something to do with the stiffness of the wheel. The spoke have a higher tension than some other wheels. So far I really like them. I normally wouldn't have gotten such a pimp wheelset but I got these for a smokin' deal. My second choice would have been the Azonic Outlaws. They look very solid for the money.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
freeriderB said:
does the DeeMax really feel lighter than most freeride/DH wheels out there?

If yes, I will probably go with them.

I want to stay away from the weight associated with Mag 30's, Double Wides.....

If I got a Marz front hub on a Mavic 321, how would it feel compared to the front DeeMax?

Thanks for all the input....
a D521 (EX721) would be comparable in weight and strength.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
from what i hear, this year's deemax (the silver ones) arnt nearly as good as the older ones (yellow ones, that cost twice as much.) word is though that mavic will be going back to the older style in yellow for 2005. the front hub will be 20mm or convertable to 10mm and the rear hub will be able to be converted from a standard bolt on to 12mm, or even to a new thru axle system taht will be compatible with the saint rear derailleur. i personally am gunna suffer through my wheels now and go for those then. again thi is just what ive heard, if im wrong let me know.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Azonic

I would have to agree with WestCoast. I too, have the Outlaw wheelset and I love them. I like having the ability to switch the front hub from 20mm to standard; this allowed me to switch the wheel over to my stealhead when I destroyed my Ryhnolite.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
zerossix said:
from what i hear, this year's deemax (the silver ones) arnt nearly as good as the older ones (yellow ones, that cost twice as much.) word is though that mavic will be going back to the older style in yellow for 2005.
not old style, a whole new rim. It'll be UST specific rims and will probably replace the EX823s (this years DeeMax rims)...bigger and stronger, might just be 'the' rim next year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.