Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean and lube my front deemax hub (2006 model).
Can someone tell me how to open that thing up?

Does it open on the non rotor side?

tools needed?

I'm going to use Pedros Road lube, can anyone advise which parts to lube?

***this is an X post from the wheel forum***...no takers though.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deemax riders...hello?

freeriderB said:
I want to clean and lube my front deemax hub (2006 model).
Can someone tell me how to open that thing up?

Does it open on the non rotor side?

tools needed?

I'm going to use Pedros Road lube, can anyone advise which parts to lube?

***this is an X post from the wheel forum***...no takers though.

Bump again...c'mon, I KNOW there are deemax runners with mechanical knowledge they want to share!!

thanks!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
You know the black caps on each side of the hub.

Pop those off......should come off easily.

There's your bearing.

They're sealed cartridges so unless you know what you're doing, there's not much to clean and lube.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tools?

kidwoo said:
You know the black caps on each side of the hub.

Pop those off......should come off easily.

There's your bearing.

They're sealed cartridges so unless you know what you're doing, there's not much to clean and lube.

so no tools needed?
I thought I remember hearing an allen wrench is necessary? no?
A couple of drops of mineral oil on the bearings?

I just took apart my 150mm rear hub, and I must say...it's easy, and not a problem to do once a month.

So far I love my deemax...and running tubeless.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
The only tool you need is a dental tool to open the bearing seal...........but again........you should know what you're doing and how to remove it without damaging it.

Is it dragging or making noise? If not, leave it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope.

kidwoo said:
The only tool you need is a dental tool to open the bearing seal...........but again........you should know what you're doing and how to remove it without damaging it.

Is it dragging or making noise? If not, leave it.

I DON'T know what I'm doing....that's the whole purpose of me seeking instruction.
I cannot find instructions ANYWHERE!
Not the Mavic site...not google...not in my owners manual...etc.

Can you please elaborate on the dental tool and what needs to be done?

Thanks.

Oh yeah...no dragging...but has never been maintained in about a year, so I want to be proactive here.

thanks again.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
freeriderB said:
Oh yeah...no dragging...but has never been maintained in about a year, so I want to be proactive here.

thanks again.

As a two year deemax owner who has both rebuilt and replaced bearings.............don't worry about it until it gives you problems. You could easily create problems.

That's the great thing about cartridge bearings. They don't need maintenance. If anything they just need replacing. But if yours are fine, they don't need anything.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Sealed cartridge bearings. They're supposed to be non-serviceable and greased for life. If you pop the rubber seals off, you're technically deforming them, and it'll never be sealed as well again.

If the bearings feel gritty or have play, then you're supposed to replace them.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Sealed cartridge bearings. They're supposed to be non-serviceable and greased for life. If you pop the rubber seals off, you're technically deforming them, and it'll never be sealed as well again.

ooops....how about Hadleys....Mine are buzzing louder and would like to regrease them

·
Registered
938 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
ooops....how about Hadleys....Mine are buzzing louder and would like to regrease them
Call micheals bicycles in newbury park and ask for sean. He is the best bike mechanic I have ever met and he should be able to tell you how to pull apart the freehub and grease the pawls. I

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:

Unless you know what you're doing :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
convinced

XSL_WiLL said:

I get the point...no touch the 20mm hub unless it's acting weird.
Now I just cleaned the rear 150mm....please tell me that I am SUPPOSED to clean and lube the freehub.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Hadley rear hubs come apart super easy. All you need are your thumbs. The pawls and what not only need a little bit of thin grease. If you use too much or too thick of a grease, it may not engage properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts