Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a wheelset for my Sir9 build. I can't decide whether to build an SS hub which to me looks cleaner and is stronger or use a geared hub so I can have the capability of running a 1x9 setup some of the time. Am I wimping out by choosing the geared option? What would the rest of you do?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Since you seem to want to primarily SS, I'd go with the SS hub for a stronger wheel build. You can usually get 3 or 4 cogs on a SS hub's freehub splines BTW. I have seen several such setups and their users seem to like them just fine. Getting a 9 speed wheel later would always be an opion as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i had that same issue when i built up my ss. i dedided to use a ck geared hub and space it out. this way, i have more options as far as the cogs that i can choose to run. also, when i do get a geared 29'er, all i have to do is pull the cog and spacers off, put a cassette on and go. as far as hub/wheel strength. if the wheel is built up right, the geared hub will be just as strong as a ss hub.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Both my wheelsets are built on geared hubs and I have never had a problem with them.
I am not a small guy either at 6'3" and around 185lb.
I built them thinking that one day I may want another geared bike and that day is now fast approaching (I am currently putting a build kit together for my new geared 29er hardtail). The geared hubs will allow me to swap between my day to day wheels and my lighter "race" wheels on either of my bikes without any drama's at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've changed my mind about it several times already. After the good advice here and the fact that I've never destroyed a wheel, I'm leaning heavily toward a geared hub. Thanks for the replys.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
What size pvc pipe for ghetto spacers on a geared hub to go single speed? I think I have a 69'er SS project coming
Thanks
G

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called up Chad at Redbarn and ordered up a geared DT 240s hubset laced to DT 7.1d rims. Should be here in about three weeks. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.