Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread

1M views 7K replies 451 participants last post by  ipedalhard 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think it is time to separate the SJ and SJ Evo threads for the new bikes.

Picking up my bike next week and figuring out my build right now. Bought the base model since that is what I could find (only shop that would pick up the phone and take a deposit). There are a few Experts out there, one on my way home from UT, but not sure if I should grab it or not. I like the idea of the Performance Elite 36, but not sure it would save me much money since I will be replacing almost everything anyway. Haven't ridden Shimano gearing for a while so it will be fun to try out again and that is a positive for the Comp.

Planned build right now is;

S4 frame
2021 36 Fork
WR1 Carbon rims on Profile AC2 hubs
Renthal bars/Profile stem
EE Wings Cranks/King BB
Stock XFusion 190mm post (one of my favorites on the market right now)
Sram AXS shifting
Saint Brakes

This will get done over the next month or so since parts are hard to get. Will try the stock DPX2 rear shock, but it is highly likely I will switch over to an X2 rear pretty quickly.

See less See more
#16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions on droppers guys. Adding new gear is half the fun. The OneUp looks like the best all around 34.9 post to me. Reasonable weight, very low stack, low cost.

What's a bummer is there seems to be no timeline at all for a delivery date of my Evo S5 frame, and if I would have ordered a few days earlier, they were available immediately. Winter is our riding season in TX so the idea of a March or April delivery is really unappealing.

If anyone gets a line on an S5 frame only, let me know.

#18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions on droppers guys. Adding new gear is half the fun. The OneUp looks like the best all around 34.9 post to me. Reasonable weight, very low stack, low cost.

What's a bummer is there seems to be no timeline at all for a delivery date of my Evo S5 frame, and if I would have ordered a few days earlier, they were available immediately. Winter is our riding season in TX so the idea of a March or April delivery is really unappealing.

If anyone gets a line on an S5 frame only, let me know.
The Expert is available here on the west coast in S5, but no frame only options.

#19 ·
I have a shimmed BikeYoke - 31.6mm. Works fine in the seat tube & was a carry over from a previous bike.

That said the X-Fusion post was suprisingly good on my Enduro when I used it for a short while - just too short for me (although it weighs a tonne!)

#31 ·
Ordered a S-Works S3 frame in Germany, but the delivery times are horrable...

Will put my parts from my Megatower:

36 Factory 2021
Newmen SL.A30 wheels 2020
GX dricetrain with X1 carbon crank
Code RSC
BikeYoke Revive 185 shimmed

Still thinking about mixing the builds up by ordering a Expert Evo because it could be available in december AND I‘m not a huge fan of the framekit color

Looks like I got to wait for some riding impressions from you all here 😃

#32 ·
Ordered a S-Works S3 frame in Germany, but the delivery times are horrable...

Will put my parts from my Megatower:

36 Factory 2021
Newmen SL.A30 wheels 2020
GX dricetrain with X1 carbon crank
Code RSC
BikeYoke Revive 185 shimmed

Still thinking about mixing the builds up by ordering a Expert Evo because it could be available in december AND I'm not a huge fan of the framekit color

Looks like I got to wait for some riding impressions from you all here 
i am located in Greece. was ready to pull the trigger on a s3 sworks complete bike but i was quoted a delivery date around May. they could not give me a date for a frame.

#33 ·
Yes. I've got an s-works S3. Initially I removed the bash/guide since i was replacing the ring with an Absolute Black oval 32 and their lower bash to match. Running that no problem for a week now, not really too worried about it throwing a chain, however if I did, it would be a real bummer, as it would surely scrape up the beautiful gloss black down there on the frame. So, I just put the MRP bash/guide back on and it has very tight clearance. I think it will be fine, but just wanted to confirm that it is indeed really tight. The bike's light enough that I'm not stressing the added weight of the guide and feeling good about the added security.

#35 ·
Just put in a order at my local bike shop for a Comp. I love the SRAM drivetrain but can’t stand the brakes. My Code Rs on my Enduro fade like no other and are so inconsistent I have no faith in them. For the price everything looks good on the comp but the fork. So I’m hoping I can get the shop to drop a Grip 2 in there for free. Timeline is Jan so gotta put up for sale my 2020 Enduro probably in December. Love the Enduro but it doesn’t make me want to go out and do simple easy rides. Not that it’s a pig by any means it climbs great but looking forward to something a little more sprightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 ·
I am keeping both as well. The Enduro is a brute and absolutely unstoppable. Fantastic bike for the steeps and high speed chunder. The Evo is way more agile and playful. With the Enduro you point it straight anything and let go of the brakes. With the Evo you can get through the same stuff, but it needs better line choices and the ability to pull up when necessary. The Evo excels when you want to throw the bike around more and hop over things rather than plow through.

#45 ·
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Landscape Highland Soil

just did a three day Moab run with the Comp Evo. not much to add other than some new Enve M9 50mm rise bars have it feeling so much better. definitely need to swap out the rotors.

have just over 120 miles on the bike so far and am very impressed. definitely more of a line finder than a plow bike. ideal for some of the tech in Moab.

very surprised how well the T9 Butcher has held up. Eliminator is showing some wear but nothing abnormal.

hope everyone that got on the first shipment has been enjoying theirs as much as I have!

#49 ·
Well, found a place with a black Expert S4 in stock and decided to buy it. Figured the upgrade was worth it since I was going to buy a grip 2 dampener anyways. I just hope the Code RS brakes don’t fade like the Code Rs due. Hopefully will get it this week depending on work schedule.

#76 ·
Well, found a place with a black Expert S4 in stock and decided to buy it. Figured the upgrade was worth it since I was going to buy a grip 2 dampener anyways. I just hope the Code RS brakes don't fade like the Code Rs due. Hopefully will get it this week depending on work schedule.

Curious to hear your impressions of this bike vs the Enduro. We live in the same area and I really dig my Enduro for most riding but now that it's foothills season the new Stumpys are looking good.

#63 ·
SJ Evo, Semi-custom, S4, Done - 29.1lbs with pedals, cage, tool

Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle stem

#65 ·
Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

View attachment 1375477 View attachment 1375479
Be careful about how you measure stack. I just made a mistake on my setups and it took me a few months to figure out the issue on my Kenevo. If you are trying to mirror your previous setup make sure to measure your bar height from the center of the BB and not from the floor.

Not saying that is the issue here since it would be backwards from the problem you are describing, just thought I would mention it. Made a huge difference once I got the proper setup on my Kevevo.

#68 ·
I've ordered an S5, and I'm only a 5'11" but with oddly long arms and legs (I actually lost 3/4-1" of height in my spine after shattering it).

Unfortunately I don't get to ride tons of bikes, but I just tried to match up mostly reach but also stack and top tube to what I have on my existing bike (L Mondraker) and the direction I'd like to change it in. Also I really wanted to try a longer CS as I suspect my current short CS's combined with my long front center is why it's hard to get enough front traction and the S4 has the short CS.

But everyone seems to be going so small that I can't help but wonder if I screwed up. Can't imagine going shorter than my current bike.