Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread

1M views 7K replies 451 participants last post by  ipedalhard 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think it is time to separate the SJ and SJ Evo threads for the new bikes.

Picking up my bike next week and figuring out my build right now. Bought the base model since that is what I could find (only shop that would pick up the phone and take a deposit). There are a few Experts out there, one on my way home from UT, but not sure if I should grab it or not. I like the idea of the Performance Elite 36, but not sure it would save me much money since I will be replacing almost everything anyway. Haven't ridden Shimano gearing for a while so it will be fun to try out again and that is a positive for the Comp.

Planned build right now is;

S4 frame
2021 36 Fork
WR1 Carbon rims on Profile AC2 hubs
Renthal bars/Profile stem
EE Wings Cranks/King BB
Stock XFusion 190mm post (one of my favorites on the market right now)
Sram AXS shifting
Saint Brakes

This will get done over the next month or so since parts are hard to get. Will try the stock DPX2 rear shock, but it is highly likely I will switch over to an X2 rear pretty quickly.

See less See more
#5,320 ·
The big thing with the Evo and coils is it only has a 55mm shock stroke. The amount of energy stored in a spring is proportional to the compression squared so the 10mm difference in stroke between and Enduro and an Evo makes an enormous difference when it comes to how the shock can handle impacts. If you were to say you want the spring on an Evo to absorb just as much energy as a spring on an Enduro, the Evo would need to run a 40% stiffer spring. I ride a 500 on the Enduro so that would put me at 700 on the Evo. Massive difference. Damping factors into things too of course. You could add a ton of damping to make up for the shorter stroke. That doesn't feel awesome either, though, because the bike stops responding to high frequency impacts well. If you let sag point determine spring rate, then you end up more on the side of things that involves running a ton of damping to make up for things. All that considered, I would say coils on the Evo generally work better for people that are primarily riding more natural terrain with infrequent, or no, large impacts. If you are running a coil and frequently subject the bike to large impacts be ready to run little sag and a lot of damping.

I know a lot of people will say don't worry about sag just think about whether or not the rear end feels good. This is true to a point. When you end up on the very low sag end of the spectrum, traction issues arise due to not having much droop travel. Without droop travel, anything where the terrain falls away from the wheel, such as between roots, will cause the wheel to leave the ground. No traction when your wheel isn't on the ground. Within the range of 25% to 35% sag is where I don't worry about the exact number too much. More or less than that and I start to think whether or not I can change other things to help keep it in that window.

#1,492 ·
It's finally finished! S-Works in S4 custom built with the new F36 Grip2 Factory Orange, AXS X01 drivetrain, BikeYoke Revive Max 2.0 185, Magura MT7 45th Anniversary HC3 Orange, Shimano Saint RT-99 203/180, DT Swiss EXP 240s CL hubs laced to LB 933 Assymetric (33mm ID) using Sapim Laser spokes and Squorx Pro alloys, Enve RSR on Renthal Apex 50mm, Maxxis 120tpi 3C MaxxTerra EXO TR 2.6" DHR2 (f) / Rekon (r), ODI Elite Pro grips, Fizik Thar Kium saddle, and Shimano SPD.

#1,912 · (Edited)

First race of the Big Mountain Enduro series in the books. Ended up on the box in 2nd place in Expert after crashing twice on stage 1. Super physical race that resembled downhill stage racing instead of enduro. Some of the gnarliest trails I've ever ridden, think Canada but only 600' of vert. Stumpy EVO did amazing.

Psyched for Grand Enduro next weekend maybe I'll see you there!

#1,809 ·
A few more rides on the Cascade link and it is more impressive every time I get on it. Bike is an absolute weapon on descents. On my ride yesterday which is our regular Saturday ride we have been doing for a few years, I PR'd every descent. Every single one.

The trails are big bike territory, steep, rough and fast. It is shocking that I am faster on the Evo than the Enduro here, but the times are not even close. The Evo is much more adjustable on the trail making it easier to move lines at speed. Overall so happy with the Evo that I sold my Enduro yesterday. Pulled some parts so now it is built with AXS, eeWings and a few other upgrades. Can't wait to get back out on it again!

#1,913 ·
Hi guys,
that was a really good idea. The last days I made a new Kydex Frame Protector. I made the contour with a plaster mold. It was the easiest way to do this at home.Thinks the result isn't too bad.
I put some EPDM Elasomer (3mm thick) between the Protector and frame., think this damps the impact of a flying stone.
Earlier this year I had a huge impact of a stone. fortunately the frame was undamaged. But my previous bike (Spesh Enduro 2018) was also destroyed by a stone. I hope that does not happen to me again.

#3,266 ·
Alloy Evo is up and running!

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset Bicycle seatpost

S3 Stumpy EVO alloy frame
170mm Lyrik w/ B1 airspring (more like 167mm ;)), and custom valved charger 2.1 damper
Fox Float X Performance shock
Industry 9 1-1 hubs laced to WeAreOne Faction rims
WeAreOne bar (35mm rise) and stem (45mm length)
9point8 Fall Line 150mm dropper
Shimano XT 170mm cranks w/ OneUp Switch ring
Sram XO 11speed shifter and rear derailleur w/ XT 11-42 cassette
Shimano XT 4 piston brakes with 203mm rotors
Time Speciale 8 pedals

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Currently in the low/steep setting with a head tube angle of 63 degrees according to my phone (thanks to the longer axle to crown).

Ready for for ride testing and suspension set up tomorrow!(y)

#3,268 ·
Alloy Evo is up and running!

View attachment 1957884

S3 Stumpy EVO alloy frame
170mm Lyrik w/ B1 airspring (more like 167mm ;)), and custom valved charger 2.1 damper
Fox Float X Performance shock
Industry 9 1-1 hubs laced to WeAreOne Faction rims
WeAreOne bar (35mm rise) and stem (45mm length)
9point8 Fall Line 150mm dropper
Shimano XT 170mm cranks w/ OneUp Switch ring
Sram XO 11speed shifter and rear derailleur w/ XT 11-42 cassette
Shimano XT 4 piston brakes with 203mm rotors
Time Speciale 8 pedals

View attachment 1957886

View attachment 1957887

View attachment 1957888

Currently in the low/steep setting with a head tube angle of 63 degrees according to my phone (thanks to the longer axle to crown).

Ready for for ride testing and suspension set up tomorrow!(y)
That is a sweet bike. Nice setup to. I just recently got an Evo Alloy comp S3 size and love the way it rides. It's very poppy while still feeling stable on the DH's. Riding it pretty much stock drive train. I did switch out the wheels for my Race Face Turbine R with Eliminator T7 tires front and rear. Switched the cranks to a set Decendent carbon cranks and swapped out the stock stem for a 50mm Race Face Turbine R.

#6,067 ·
Two rides in and I am in love. Not sure if the new Float X/Lyrik are that much better than my previous X2/36 setup or they have adjusted the kinematic slightly, but this bike is crazy comfortable. It also has reinforced my what I have said for a while, this is the best cornering bike I have ever ridden.

First ride was at Elfin Forest for the locals. It is not particularly steep, but a LOT of rocks and very rough with high speeds in general. Primary descents were Equine Incline and Secret trail. I did not expect it at all but set my fastest times of the year on every segment which were also anywhere from fastest overall this year to top 5 for the year.

Today I put in a bit of a mission. 29 miles with 4K of vertical hitting 3 peaks. I rode from my house to La Costa to Double Peak to Franks and then home. Lots of good climbing and descending with some pretty rough trails. Loved the ride and what really struck me was how easy it is to move the bike around on the trail. As an example I rode trails that I haven't been on in a while. In one section there is a high speed corner that exits to a 12" high rock that has some dirt in front building it into a jump. It is blind until you are at the rock/jump and our lovely local non trail group, SDMBA, removed all the dirt leaving a big rock in the fast line. I had to yank hard to get over the it, but it actually felt pretty effortless.

In contrast it also feels really well damped taking the sting out of any impact while still providing support . Not much else to say other than I am starting to feel like down tube storage is not as great an idea as we think it is. Longer discussion, but viewing the entire bike as unsprung weight relative to a rider it adds a bunch of mass that makes the bike harder to move around on the trail.

Anyway, a few pics from my rides

#6,097 ·
Two rides in and I am in love. Not sure if the new Float X/Lyrik are that much better than my previous X2/36 setup or they have adjusted the kinematic slightly, but this bike is crazy comfortable. It also has reinforced my what I have said for a while, this is the best cornering bike I have ever ridden.

First ride was at Elfin Forest for the locals. It is not particularly steep, but a LOT of rocks and very rough with high speeds in general. Primary descents were Equine Incline and Secret trail. I did not expect it at all but set my fastest times of the year on every segment which were also anywhere from fastest overall this year to top 5 for the year.

Today I put in a bit of a mission. 29 miles with 4K of vertical hitting 3 peaks. I rode from my house to La Costa to Double Peak to Franks and then home. Lots of good climbing and descending with some pretty rough trails. Loved the ride and what really struck me was how easy it is to move the bike around on the trail. As an example I rode trails that I haven't been on in a while. In one section there is a high speed corner that exits to a 12" high rock that has some dirt in front building it into a jump. It is blind until you are at the rock/jump and our lovely local non trail group, SDMBA, removed all the dirt leaving a big rock in the fast line. I had to yank hard to get over the it, but it actually felt pretty effortless.

In contrast it also feels really well damped taking the sting out of any impact while still providing support . Not much else to say other than I am starting to feel like down tube storage is not as great an idea as we think it is. Longer discussion, but viewing the entire bike as unsprung weight relative to a rider it adds a bunch of mass that makes the bike harder to move around on the trail.

Anyway, a few pics from my rides
View attachment 2038417
View attachment 2038418
Bike looks great and agree 100%, Float X works fantastic on this bike...never understood many of the issues people have here.

SWAT take is interesting...How much stuff you got in there??!?! lol

#4,041 ·
After almost a year I'm finally getting along really well with my 21 Stumpy Evo! Just wanted to pass along some of the things that finally helped it click with me as a rider here in NorCal. I'm riding UCSC, Demo, and Henry Coe for the most part. Hoping to get out to the bike parks this summer.

Bike started life as a comp. I put a grip2 damper in, and then also a couple of months ago added a Vorsprung Secus which really made a difference on small bump. Feels like the smashpot I had in my levo, I'm a huge fan of this tumor looking thing for sure!

I just had my first ride on the EXT e-storia rear shock and it is so freaking awesome I was smiling ear to ear. Great upgrade over the 21's For DPX2. It pedals better (I use the lockout), and the traction and compliance on the way down is awesome. Mind you, I'm only one ride in, so no long term thoughts here.

I also settled on the stock neutral/high geometry setting for the riding I do. I started at slack/low, then rode it slack/high for the past 8 months or so. I'm one ride into the neutral and I feel like I didn't give up any confidence on the downs, and had so much more fun in the flow.

Edit: Oh I should also mention that I went from the 2.3 tires to 2.6s and felt no penalty on climbing and loads more traction on the downs.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Crankset

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Vehicle

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Attachments

#4,043 ·
After almost a year I'm finally getting along really well with my 21 Stumpy Evo! Just wanted to pass along some of the things that finally helped it click with me as a rider here in NorCal. I'm riding UCSC, Demo, and Henry Coe for the most part. Hoping to get out to the bike parks this summer.

Bike started life as a comp. I put a grip2 damper in, and then also a couple of months ago added a Vorsprung Secus which really made a difference on small bump. Feels like the smashpot I had in my levo, I'm a huge fan of this tumor looking thing for sure!

I just had my first ride on the EXT e-storia rear shock and it is so freaking awesome I was smiling ear to ear. Great upgrade over the 21's For DPX2. It pedals better (I use the lockout), and the traction and compliance on the way down is awesome. Mind you, I'm only one ride in, so no long term thoughts here.

I also settled on the stock neutral/high geometry setting for the riding I do. I started at slack/low, then rode it slack/high for the past 8 months or so. I'm one ride into the neutral and I feel like I didn't give up any confidence on the downs, and had so much more fun in the flow.

Edit: Oh I should also mention that I went from the 2.3 tires to 2.6s and felt no penalty on climbing and loads more traction on the downs.

View attachment 1981163
Rig looks amazing. I've been considering the secus as I can't seem to get as dialed on the 38 after coming off a coil 36. Any reason you went with the e-storia over the V3? Larger reservoir?

#4,256 ·
After a few months of owning my Evo I'm still happy, it's such a good bike, it just does what I want and I don't notice it much. It's a bit smaller vs my '20 Enduro, both S4, in a good way. It's great on some of the steep and janky trails we have in CO. It's a beefy build with a 160mm 38, Cascade link, CCDB air, WR1 Union wheels, Michelin Wild Enduro w/Tannus f/r, about 33.5 lbs.

Pics from today's ride, 2 of my Evo, 2 of me on my Evo. Colorado is not currently burning, which is great. Super happy for the rain we've been getting...

#4,261 ·
After a few months of owning my Evo I'm still happy, it's such a good bike, it just does what I want and I don't notice it much. It's a bit smaller vs my '20 Enduro, both S4, in a good way. It's great on some of the steep and janky trails we have in CO. It's a beefy build with a 160mm 38, Cascade link, CCDB air, WR1 Union wheels, Michelin Wild Enduro w/Tannus f/r, about 33.5 lbs.

Pics from today's ride, 2 of my Evo, 2 of me on my Evo. Colorado is not currently burning, which is great. Super happy for the rain we've been getting...

Looks sick. I like the mint lowers with the black!

#765 ·

Currently shown with a 170mm Lyrik which I actually prefer over the 160mm Fox 36. I think I'm going all in on this EVO and will sell my Enduro, so the EVO will soon gain my Eewing cranks and the option of a Zeb fork set to 160mm.
I'm 5'8" on a S4 (I like longer bikes) set up in high and slack. Bike currently weighs 31.25 lbs with a Tannus insert in the rear. Really enjoying this bike!

#1,151 ·
Finally had more time to ride my Stumpjumper EVO more frequently over the last 6 weeks and do direct back to back comparison's to my Forbidden Druid (size medium; 130mm in the rear and 2019 Fox 36 Grip 2 at 150mm). Just to clarify up front, I just ride for fun anywhere between 1-3 times a week. Racing, racing times and KOMs are irrelevent for me personally. I am 5'7" and currently 155 lbs out of the shower. S3 size EVO Comp, which is pretty much stock except for the fork (2020 Manitou Mezzer Pro at 160mm), dropper (150mm OneUp) and handlebar (OneUp carbon bar). I have to say, the EVO's geometry and handling are it's best attributes. It feels always very balanced and handles very neutral in all situations, whether it be cornering, high speed chunky stuff or slow, tight uphill switchback climbs. I feel always perfectly centered, in the saddle or standing. I am usually pretty active and moving around a lot when descending, but definitely noticed there is less need to do so than other bikes (compared to my Druid or my YT Jeffsy 27 or other bikes I demoed like the Ibis Ripmo). I find it also pedals very well and efficiently for a 150mm travel bike and am perfectly fine riding the shock in open mode at all times, including my 1-2 hour fire road uphill grinds. Rear suspension performance descending is pretty good, but not great with the stock DPX2 Performance shock, using the larger 0.8x spacer. I played around with higher pressures initially, but settled at 170 PSI, giving me close to 15mm sag and leaving me around 5mm unused travel after some air time and the biggest compression I can/dare to dish out, which is a 3 foot drop to flat. I am happy with having those last few millimeters left in reserve as additional margin for error...just in case. The standard volume spacer was definitely not working for me.Talking about suspension performance, that's where my Druid truly shines and outperforms the EVO, even though it nominally has "only" 130mm of rear travel. Pedaling performance and climbing efficiency are a coin toss between the EVO and the Druid and both feel equally good to me. The EVO may feel slightly snappier for sudden power burst, but we're talking minute nuances and it's not a trait that's particularly important to me for how and where I ride. The Druid's suspension performance in slow, nasty, rocky, loose and ledgy climbs is excellent. I cannot judge that aspect for the EVO, since I didn't have a chance yet to ride it on those conditions.The EVO handles tight uphill switchbacks effortlessly, whereas my Druid requires more active riding style and handlebar steering to stay on course for those same tight switchbacks.I think this advantage is solely due to the EVO's super dialed geometry, even though it has significantly longer static wheelbase than my medium Druid. The Druid's suspension magic kicks in when going down fast and hard and is always super capable to handle any kind of hits, i.e. landing after some bigger jumps and drops or fast repetitive ledgy and square edged hits.It's not the most plush suspension out there, but feels always very composed and super capable at all times. This is with the DPX2 Elite shock that comes stock with the Druid, so in essence the same shock that came with my EVO comp (yes, the Elite has adjustable LSC, but I run it one click from full open on the Druid). In short, for me the EVO has more dialed geometry and better more balanced handling, whereas the Druid outshines the EVO in terms of rear suspension performance when descending. That said, now that I have the direct comparison, the Druid's steering feels more twitchy for high speed cornering and bermed sharp high speed turns, whereas the EVOs steering in those situations is rock solid and secure. In a perfect world, I'd want the EVO's geometry combined with the Druid's suspension performance. Sigh...I can only keep one of the two...that's the deal with my wife. Deep down I love the Druid more than my EVO, probably due to purely emotional baggage like underdog small company factor, liking the design and lines of the Druid more than the EVO and suspension performance. Rationally, the EVO is probably the better choice, as the geometry feels definitely more dialed and balanced (i.e. more forgiving with rider errors) and suspension can be improved with better shock or custom shock tune or both. That said, now I am wondering if a Large Druid would bridge the geometry gap to my S3 EVO or playing around with slackening the head angle on my medium Druid by 1-1.5 degrees for longer wheel base and less twitchy handling for high speed cornering and leaning the bike in high speed bermed turns. Sigh, we'll see, need to make up my mind in next few weeks. :):rolleyes:

#1,153 ·
Finally had more time to ride my Stumpjumper EVO more frequently over the last 6 weeks and do direct back to back comparison's to my Forbidden Druid (size medium; 130mm in the rear and 2019 Fox 36 Grip 2 at 150mm). Just to clarify up front, I just ride for fun anywhere between 1-3 times a week. Racing, racing times and KOMs are irrelevent for me personally. I am 5'7" and currently 155 lbs out of the shower. S3 size EVO Comp, which is pretty much stock except for the fork (2020 Manitou Mezzer Pro at 160mm), dropper (150mm OneUp) and handlebar (OneUp carbon bar). I have to say, the EVO's geometry and handling are it's best attributes. It feels always very balanced and handles very neutral in all situations, whether it be cornering, high speed chunky stuff or slow, tight uphill switchback climbs. I feel always perfectly centered, in the saddle or standing. I am usually pretty active and moving around a lot when descending, but definitely noticed there is less need to do so than other bikes (compared to my Druid or my YT Jeffsy 27 or other bikes I demoed like the Ibis Ripmo). I find it also pedals very well and efficiently for a 150mm travel bike and am perfectly fine riding the shock in open mode at all times, including my 1-2 hour fire road uphill grinds. Rear suspension performance descending is pretty good, but not great with the stock DPX2 Performance shock, using the larger 0.8x spacer. I played around with higher pressures initially, but settled at 170 PSI, giving me close to 15mm sag and leaving me around 5mm unused travel after some air time and the biggest compression I can/dare to dish out, which is a 3 foot drop to flat. I am happy with having those last few millimeters left in reserve as additional margin for error...just in case. The standard volume spacer was definitely not working for me.Talking about suspension performance, that's where my Druid truly shines and outperforms the EVO, even though it nominally has "only" 130mm of rear travel. Pedaling performance and climbing efficiency are a coin toss between the EVO and the Druid and both feel equally good to me. The EVO may feel slightly snappier for sudden power burst, but we're talking minute nuances and it's not a trait that's particularly important to me for how and where I ride. The Druid's suspension performance in slow, nasty, rocky, loose and ledgy climbs is excellent. I cannot judge that aspect for the EVO, since I didn't have a chance yet to ride it on those conditions.The EVO handles tight uphill switchbacks effortlessly, whereas my Druid requires more active riding style and handlebar steering to stay on course for those same tight switchbacks.I think this advantage is solely due to the EVO's super dialed geometry, even though it has significantly longer static wheelbase than my medium Druid. The Druid's suspension magic kicks in when going down fast and hard and is always super capable to handle any kind of hits, i.e. landing after some bigger jumps and drops or fast repetitive ledgy and square edged hits.It's not the most plush suspension out there, but feels always very composed and super capable at all times. This is with the DPX2 Elite shock that comes stock with the Druid, so in essence the same shock that came with my EVO comp (yes, the Elite has adjustable LSC, but I run it one click from full open on the Druid). In short, for me the EVO has more dialed geometry and better more balanced handling, whereas the Druid outshines the EVO in terms of rear suspension performance when descending. That said, now that I have the direct comparison, the Druid's steering feels more twitchy for high speed cornering and bermed sharp high speed turns, whereas the EVOs steering in those situations is rock solid and secure. In a perfect world, I'd want the EVO's geometry combined with the Druid's suspension performance. Sigh...I can only keep one of the two...that's the deal with my wife. Deep down I love the Druid more than my EVO, probably due to purely emotional baggage like underdog small company factor, liking the design and lines of the Druid more than the EVO and suspension performance. Rationally, the EVO is probably the better choice, as the geometry feels definitely more dialed and balanced (i.e. more forgiving with rider errors) and suspension can be improved with better shock or custom shock tune or both. That said, now I am wondering if a Large Druid would bridge the geometry gap to my S3 EVO or playing around with slackening the head angle on my medium Druid by 1-1.5 degrees for longer wheel base and less twitchy handling for high speed cornering and leaning the bike in high speed bermed turns. Sigh, we'll see, need to make up my mind in next few weeks. :):rolleyes:
Sounds like you need the Dreadnaught. Geo of the Evo, suspension of the Druid.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

#4,801 ·
Well finally got this bike together, bought a used S5 frame and built it up with pretty much all new stuff. Shopped around and tried to find the best deals I could on stuff. This will be my only bike once my Supreme is sold so it needs to do XC stuff to stay in shape during the week and bike parks and pisgah rides on the weekends so I built it fairly durable which equals kind of heavy.

Hope wheel set fortus 30 rear, fortus 30 single cavity front
Zeb Ultimate at 160mm (last years model, on sale for $700 on competitive cyclist FYI)
michelin wild enduros
Code RSC 200mm front/rear
170mm bontrager dropper I got from a buddy looks like I can fit atleast a 200mm
SLX 12 speed drivetrain/cranks
holding the bike on the bathroom scale seems roughly 36.5 lbs

Was able to pedal it around some of my local XC trails yesterday and it felt great, certainly a bit more to pedal than my smuggler I just sold but If feels more like its the wheels/tires being a pretty heavy durable setup but it feels very effecient, feels like you can really pump it into corners, I will be taking it to the bike park this weekend which Ive rode quite a few different bikes at so it will be a good place to compare. Tried to half ass get the suspension right but its kind of tricky with 20 second descents here so I will do that this weekend as well. I already feel like I need a bigger volume spacer, somewhat downhill but slow 4 foot drop blew the O ring off the shock.

ran it in steep/high for this and will go to slack/high for the bike park, took me all of 2 minutes to make the switch.

Im about 180
205psi in rear shock
8 on rebound knob
58psi in fork not sure where the clickers are at yet just clicked a little on the trail
im pretty sensitive to suspension so ill update what I land on after the bike park as its nice to have a jumping off point for others I think.

Also if you are building a bike up and are going to ride it first on some dusty trails maybe wipe all the oil and grease residue off of everything before you ride lol.

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle wheel