Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1949 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Anyone who is a Ripmo owner looking at this bike and is concerned about the Low BB, just measured my Girlfriends V2 Ripmo and the BB height on the Ripmo is the same exact height as the Stumpy EVO in the Low/Long Position.

Ripmo is published at 341, Stumpy Evo is published at 333mm, both measure exactly at 336mm. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is BB drop listed as on each bike?
The problem with looking at manufacturer's listed BB height is that it's dependent on the tire size it was measured with.
Furthermore the travel of the bike is a factor cause 30% sag is a different amount when the travel varies.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Agree on the drop.
I'm running 175's on an S5 and no clearance issues. This is my 3rd or 4th bike in a row with a low BB though. It doesn't ride to terribly low to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
What is BB drop listed as on each bike?
The problem with looking at manufacturer's listed BB height is that it's dependent on the tire size it was measured with.
Furthermore the travel of the bike is a factor cause 30% sag is a different amount when the travel varies.

Thats where it is even more off, Ibis says 30mm, Stumpy Evo says 42mm. I dont think many of these manufacters get the numbers right but a lot of us definetly read them on paper like they are fact.

Similar travel on the Ibis and Stumpy Evo, they honestly both feel similar ride heigh wise on trail too.

·
Rider 10 "
58 Posts
Which spring rate do I need for 180 lbs? I was thinking if a 450-550 lbs cane creek progressive would be OK.

Enviado desde mi ALP-L09 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Which spring rate do I need for 180 lbs? I was thinking if a 450-550 lbs cane creek progressive would be OK.

I have an adjustable rate Springdex I can sell ya (if you are in the US) that was mounted on my EXT before I bought the Cascade link. The Springdex goes from 550#s to 610#s. At about 183#s before riding gear, I found the 590# setting perfect.

I don't hear good things about the progressive springs but don't know much about that topic.

·
Registered
210 Posts

You need a 550 at a minimum most likley. 450-550 progressive is gonna be too soft. For progressive you would want 550-650 or maybe 500-610 but thats pushing it.

·
Rider 10 "
58 Posts
I have an adjustable rate Springdex I can sell ya (if you are in the US) that was mounted on my EXT before I bought the Cascade link. The Springdex goes from 550#s to 610#s. At about 183#s before riding gear, I found the 590# setting perfect.

I don't hear good things about the progressive springs but don't know much about that topic.
How much sag do you had with that spring rate?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
How much sag do you had with that spring rate?

Nearly exactly 15.5mm at the shock shaft which is correct.
The Springdex allows you on the trail to reduce or increase the spring rate and it's very enlightening.
20#'s off spring rate, performs pretty poorly actually. 10#s off and you'll have a preference one way or the other for sure.

·
D.M.S.R.
41 Posts
I had a nasty headset creak that started after 3 weeks of riding and two washes.
Fixed so far by cleaning all the old grease off from the following points of contact:
Bottom bearing portion where it fits into the frame
Lower part of the headtube integrated cup
Upper bearing oval cup (using the -1) portion where it fits into the frame
Upper part of the headtube oval receiver

All other assembly points where metal touches metal are greased.
Entire headset stack preloaded with 28 in-lb of top cap bolt torque.

So far so good. Will report back if it doesn't hold up

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm 150lbs geared up and the 450-550lb valt progressive coil is pretty much perfect for me. I definately wouldn't want to go any softer, so you'll likely need to go up to at least the 500-610lb. I've got a 430-500lb Sprindex that I'm going to try this week to compare.

I used Spring Calculator - TF Tuned to figure out my spring weight. In my case it worked great.

FYI I'm on a mullet link which is a little less progressive than the stock, but sag should be pretty comparable.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
With the stock link I found that tripling your body weight pretty much equals your spring rate. I guess the LR is 3:1 at sag so this works.

As far as choosing a progressive spring rate, I'd guess that you'd want the lower spring rate # to match your desired spring rate so that sag is correct. The increased spring rate should occur later in the stroke.

The Springdex has some progression BTW but they don't advertise it.

Coil shocks are a royal pita to get right. Not sure it's really worth it on a trail bike. They are sublime when just right but I'd guess 90% of them are sprung wrong and don't even match a basic air shock for performance as a result of incorrect spring rate. Personally I'll never go coil again. $1k, 1#, swap springs multiple times and still always just a hair off and no travel indicator to assist with set up. I'm 100% certain that high end air shocks are the future.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
With the stock link I found that tripling your body weight pretty much equals your spring rate. I guess the LR is 3:1 at sag so this works.

As far as choosing a progressive spring rate, I'd guess that you'd want the lower spring rate # to match your desired spring rate so that sag is correct. The increased spring rate should occur later in the stroke.

The Springdex has some progression BTW but they don't advertise it.

Coil shocks are a royal pita to get right. Not sure it's really worth it on a trail bike. They are sublime when just right but I'd guess 90% of them are sprung wrong and don't even match a basic air shock for performance as a result of incorrect spring rate. Personally I'll never go coil again. $1k, 1#, swap springs multiple times and still always just a hair off and no travel indicator to assist with set up. I'm 100% certain that high end air shocks are the future.

because being exactly precise doesn’t matter...

1921 - 1940 of 1949 Posts