Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1949 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys - just under 200mi on my bike - roughly 20ish hours.

I’m getting some creaking / crunching noises from the crank area, and near the head tube.

I recently swapped the pedals and greased the threads so I’m fairly certain that’s not the problem in the crank area - anyone get creaks/noises from the crank are? If so what should I check?

I’m also getting some noise from the head tube area. Not sure if it’s the stem or bars or from the head tube.

Wondering if anyone else solved noises in those areas? Otherwise I’m going to just start digging in.

Thanks in advance. My bike is an EVO Comp build.
Not sure if you have the SWAT tool, but the screw that holds it in needs to be greased. Had that cause some creaking in the past. Also, the rear axle needs to be greased. Thought is was my bottom bracket. Took that down, re greased, no avail. Greased the axle. Problem solved.

·
mtbr super member
50 Posts
An update on the cascade link. I’m 200 pounds geared up and was running 230 psi, .6 volume spacer on the dpx2 and it wasn’t up to par with the stock link. Added 25 psi (255 now) and tried again today.

Increasing the psi made all the difference. Climbed so much better and sat higher in the travel without blowing through the initial stroke. Mid and end stroke felt improved over the stock link and I feel like I’m now getting the type of feel I was hoping I would with the cascade link.

Thanks for the advice on increasing psi. I’m so much happier with how it feels now!

·
Registered
93 Posts
An update on the cascade link. I’m 200 pounds geared up and was running 230 psi, .6 volume spacer on the dpx2 and it wasn’t up to par with the stock link. Added 25 psi (255 now) and tried again today.

Increasing the psi made all the difference. Climbed so much better and sat higher in the travel without blowing through the initial stroke. Mid and end stroke felt improved over the stock link and I feel like I’m now getting the type of feel I was hoping I would with the cascade link.

Thanks for the advice on increasing psi. I’m so much happier with how it feels now!
Good to hear. That makes sense... at 210lbs geared, I was running 275psi with the stock link and stock DPX2 (s5 frame leverage).

·
Registered
224 Posts

Absolutely the same experience I had. Glad you didn't give up.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I built my own Evo and it sounded like a shopping cart going down the trail but I cleared 95% of it up by adding Al spacers between the BB and the frame & tightening the headset just a hair more.
The last creak I had seemed to be coming from the rear hub and the hub actually locked up last ride and I now have a new one on the way. So I guess we'll see if that solves the last of my creaks.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure if you have the SWAT tool, but the screw that holds it in needs to be greased. Had that cause some creaking in the past. Also, the rear axle needs to be greased. Thought is was my bottom bracket. Took that down, re greased, no avail. Greased the axle. Problem solved.
I removed the swat tool. I’ll check the rear axle. I still think it’s the cranks though. We will see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Charger 2.1rc vs RC2 damper. They are not the same. Having both a Zeb and a 38.... Zeb all day, and I haven’t ridden RS suspension since 2015.
Oh, the guy above said it's the same apart from you don't get high speed compression? If that's the case I'm gonna try and work with the select +

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,908 ·
Yeah I have a similar experience. There is something about them that doesn't feel quite right at high speeds

I didn't realise it's essentially the same damper as the ultimate though, I might give it a few rides and see.

Anyone rode the EVO as a mullet and also 29er to compare? Still tempted by the cascade + 29
Might want to think about dropping the lowers, lubing the bushing and also ensuring that fluid levels are correct, no grease clogging negative ports or over packed into the negative chamber.

This usually transforms the setups because they are so bad from the factory. My '21 Fox 36 had over 30% of the negative chamber packed with grease. The bigger negative springs don't really help if they are full of stuff other than air.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi

I got DPX2 Performance Elite 210x55 Stumpjumper EVO 2021 take off to sell in excellent condition. I'll ship within EU.
Please send me a PM if interested.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

First race of the Big Mountain Enduro series in the books. Ended up on the box in 2nd place in Expert after crashing twice on stage 1. Super physical race that resembled downhill stage racing instead of enduro. Some of the gnarliest trails I’ve ever ridden, think Canada but only 600’ of vert. Stumpy EVO did amazing.

Psyched for Grand Enduro next weekend maybe I’ll see you there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,
that was a really good idea. The last days I made a new Kydex Frame Protector. I made the contour with a plaster mold. It was the easiest way to do this at home.Thinks the result isn't too bad.
I put some EPDM Elasomer (3mm thick) between the Protector and frame., think this damps the impact of a flying stone.
Earlier this year I had a huge impact of a stone. fortunately the frame was undamaged. But my previous bike (Spesh Enduro 2018) was also destroyed by a stone. I hope that does not happen to me again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi guys,
that was a really good idea. The last days I made a new Kydex Frame Protector. I made the contour with a plaster mold. It was the easiest way to do this at home.Thinks the result isn't too bad.
I put some EPDM Elasomer (3mm thick) between the Protector and frame., think this damps the impact of a flying stone.
Earlier this year I had a huge impact of a stone. fortunately the frame was undamaged. But my previous bike (Spesh Enduro 2018) was also destroyed by a stone. I hope that does not happen to me again.
Really nice, great job.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys,

View attachment 1929052 View attachment 1929053 View attachment 1929054
Dang that looks excellent. I might have to try something similar. I thought about using a sheet of D30 foam between the kydex and frame to provide additional damping. Unless I can find a way to color the foam black because it only comes in orange.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't know, my cut up tire, zip tied to the frame looked pretty factory.
JK.
Excellent job.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Got some of Oregon's finest in this weekend.
I'm left with the opinion that short chain stays will be viewed as "old school" in short order. Honestly, I'm scratching my head wondering what the short chain stay thing was all about. Further still, going longer was my biggest hang up deciding to buy. Currently feeling like longer does everything better.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Got some of Oregon's finest in this weekend.
I'm left with the opinion that short chain stays will be viewed as "old school" in short order. Honestly, I'm scratching my head wondering what the short chain stay thing was all about. Further still, going longer was my biggest hang up deciding to buy. Currently feeling like longer does everything better.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Yep.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi guys,

I will buy one if you want to make another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone who is a Ripmo owner looking at this bike and is concerned about the Low BB, just measured my Girlfriends V2 Ripmo and the BB height on the Ripmo is the same exact height as the Stumpy EVO in the Low/Long Position.

Ripmo is published at 341, Stumpy Evo is published at 333mm, both measure exactly at 336mm. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1901 - 1920 of 1949 Posts