Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 2021 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about upsizing from S4 to S5, I'm 185cm.

What would make the most economic sense? Sell the S4 bike as is, and (try to) find an S5, or sell just the S4 frame and move parts over to an S5 frame?

·
Registered
230 Posts
IMO a complete bike makes most sense, however be sure to find an S5 bike OR frame and then sell the Bike or Frame.
Selling either first might leave you without a Bike for an undisclosed amount of time.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Have a few more rides on the Cascade link now and all I can say is wow. This bike is so, so good with this setup, it just rips. We rode an off the map trail system today that has some super steep/rough trails. It is a place where the Enduro should excel and it does, but I set PR's on every descent today with the Evo.

Every. Single. One.

This is a place that I sometimes ride 3-4 times per week and have 50+ attempts on everything. My PR's weren't a single second either, I was taking chunks of time off. The bike is so composed and I feel like I can place it anywhere I want on the trail. For me speed comes from being relaxed and with some bikes I just get in the zone, today was one of those days.

I also rode another trail system yesterday, not as extreme, but still very rough and very fast. Net result was very similar, I set my fastest times in years on the two descents I did out there as well.

The best way I can describe it is that the Cascade link takes the sting out of impacts at speed while also feeling much more controlled and well damped. Happy to answer any specific questions, but after being skeptical about the link making any difference I am a believer.
I wonder if the additional midrange support that the Cascade provides as a result of the higher required spring pressure would now have your Evo climbing faster than your E29?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,724 ·
I wonder if the additional midrange support that the Cascade provides as a result of the higher required spring pressure would now have your Evo climbing faster than your E29?

I did set a few pavement climbing PR's on the Evo a few days ago as well when I mounted the link. I was pushing pretty hard and haven't done that in a while. Will keep an eye on it and report back.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I know this, the Cascade is well and truly needed just to make it through my average trail ride with a handful of smallish jumps/ drops/ g-outs & bumps.

That's me weighing mid 180s with 237 shock psi.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Have a few more rides on the Cascade link now and all I can say is wow. This bike is so, so good with this setup, it just rips. We rode an off the map trail system today that has some super steep/rough trails. It is a place where the Enduro should excel and it does, but I set PR's on every descent today with the Evo.

Every. Single. One.

This is a place that I sometimes ride 3-4 times per week and have 50+ attempts on everything. My PR's weren't a single second either, I was taking chunks of time off. The bike is so composed and I feel like I can place it anywhere I want on the trail. For me speed comes from being relaxed and with some bikes I just get in the zone, today was one of those days.

I also rode another trail system yesterday, not as extreme, but still very rough and very fast. Net result was very similar, I set my fastest times in years on the two descents I did out there as well.

The best way I can describe it is that the Cascade link takes the sting out of impacts at speed while also feeling much more controlled and well damped. Happy to answer any specific questions, but after being skeptical about the link making any difference I am a believer.
Where do you think the enduro exceeds vs the evo now? Race or park days?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,727 ·
Where do you think the enduro exceeds vs the evo now? Race or park days?
The Evo feels and measures faster on the trails. I can place it anywhere on the trail comfortably. I think the Enduro is a better park bike just because it has that bottomless feel to it. It is not as precise and just wants you to point it straight through everything. The Enduro is more comfortable though since it just deadens everything. You expect a big hit from something and it feels like hitting a speed bump in a Raptor. The trail just disappears under you.

Answering your question directly, the Enduro is the better park bike and the Evo is the better race bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a heads up... If anyone is looking for a S3 Expert, there looks to be a super clean one available on the pinkbike classifieds right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone

Writing from France.
Happy owner of an S4 SJ evo with cascade link. Actually discussing with EXT to get a storia prepared to fit her.
Cascade link made a huge difference and i'm pretty sure i would be able not to go to coil shock. But once you tasted the lack of need to check any pressure change, on a bike i feel a bit sensible to it, makes me feel i would appreciate the simplicity of use. (Not sure my sentence is ok :) )

Why am I appearing here... : been reading many of the pages of this thread and I'm very surprised about how you all have different ranges of pressures to set the same sag.
I'm 88kg geared, (194lb), 180cm (5.9ft) and with the stock DPX2 am running 227psi on the cascade link, and 215psi on stock linkage for something between 15 and 16mm of sag.
I found some of you are running this "range" of pressures for a similar weight to mine, and some are pumping much more and are close to what are the pressure settings given by the website.

Same goes for coils, some are on 650 and some on 575. NSMB have a article on one EXT equipped S4 and this missile's owner is 195lb and ride a 575 (with one turn of prelaod).
How is that possible, I mean, sag setting, seated on saddle with gear on shouldn't bring so much variations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi everyone

Writing from France.
Happy owner of an S4 SJ evo with cascade link. Actually discussing with EXT to get a storia prepared to fit her.
Cascade link made a huge difference and i'm pretty sure i would be able not to go to coil shock. But once you tasted the lack of need to check any pressure change, on a bike i feel a bit sensible to it, makes me feel i would appreciate the simplicity of use. (Not sure my sentence is ok :) )

Why am I appearing here... : been reading many of the pages of this thread and I'm very surprised about how you all have different ranges of pressures to set the same sag.
I'm 88kg geared, (194lb), 180cm (5.9ft) and with the stock DPX2 am running 227psi on the cascade link, and 215psi on stock linkage for something between 15 and 16mm of sag.
I found some of you are running this "range" of pressures for a similar weight to mine, and some are pumping much more and are close to what are the pressure settings given by the website.

Same goes for coils, some are on 650 and some on 575. NSMB have a article on one EXT equipped S4 and this missile's owner is 195lb and ride a 575 (with one turn of prelaod).
How is that possible, I mean, sag setting, seated on saddle with gear on shouldn't bring so much variations.
I think it could be dropper not fully extended while measuring. While sitting on the lowered dropper I can’t get the sag 15-16 for my weight 90kg with reasonable psi. If I’m trying to set the psi and sag like that bike pedals terribly.
when I measure the sag while sitting on the fully extended dropper it works and to reach the 15-16 mm of sag my psi is near what website says. Of course it’s a starting point and you can customize but for me bike pedals great with the 270psi for my weight.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi everyone

Writing from France.

I am also finding this. I had a look on the Cascade site & it suggests for me at ~84kg kitted up, I need a 625lb spring. I ended up leaving the 550 on there (EXT Storia), and in my standard stood up riding position i'm 15/16mm of sag, with one turn of preload. I read the NSMB article & assume, whilst at 195lb the rider is 10lbs heavier than I am, i'm getting the right amount of sag, and the shock feels great.

I'm not a total wobbler on a bike, i've won a few races, generally top 5% at a national, done alright at a few EWS's etc so i'm not riding it slowly either. My Storia came from a pre '21 Stumpjumper Evo, which as we know was very linear in its stroke so has quite a strong compression tune on it & that stands up to how it rides, it feels quite 'racey', good support in the mid stroke and works better at speed - now I am just experiencing the bike doesn't bottom out on g-outs or hard compressions with the Cascade Link.

Also, with the increased rear travel, i'm now running my fork at 170mm.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Hi everyone

Writing from France.

My theory is that (in my case) I'm on an S5 with a 448mm CS length and that's about 4% longer and more leverage on the shock than your S4. If you think about where the link is attached it's actually much more than a 4% increase in the length of the lever and this must require a stiffer spring.
But I too have noticed the discrepancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting point of view, as i was interpreting the forces from the weight on saddle, and so saddle height, to be the main factor, but you open my eyes on the fact that chainstay length is a force the shock also has to react to. So it may be interesting to see this system with shock compressed in between forces coming from saddle height and chainstays length.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My theory is that (in my case) I'm on an S5 with a 448mm CS length and that's about 4% longer and more leverage on the shock than your S4. Requiring a stiffer spring.
But I too have noticed the discrepancy.

Surely any leverage changes that would come about due to a longer chainstay would have to be mitigated somehow? Perhaps something to do with the design of the seatstay? Otherwise different sizes would have different amounts of travel and different leverage curves. I’m on an s6 and my girlfriend is on an s3. I’d be real curious to put them side by side and see how they’re different.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Following up on my comment below. Wasn't sure if MegNeg would work on the Evo at my weight of 220#, but I threw one on the Super Deluxe just for the hell of it and maxed out the pressure at 325 psi with 3 spacers in the negative. All I can say is wow this thing is awesome. Really does feel like a coil at top and mid travel.

Cascade Link still not an option because it would put me well over the max pressure.

I will say the high leverage ratio on this bike substantially limits rear suspension options for bigger riders like me. I am 220# currently running Super Deluxe Ultimate, and Megneg and/or Cascade Link are likely not viable options (at stock tune, at least) because I would exceed max psi.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pretty much finished my build now, just waiting on some 170mm x01 eagle cranks then it’s done

not sure whether keep the 200mm transfer or get a proper 34.9 210mm one up, but I know I’ll regret it as the transfer is so much more smoother

but damn I love this bike it just does everything so well such a fun bike

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I'll second a 30T making a surprisingly noticeable difference from 32T. It pedals smoother for sure. Not only that but seems more active under load too which is great. No real noticeable difference for big hits or repeated big hits that I can tell. Torquey steep climbing I'd call a wash, but flat and moderate pitches it's really noticeable.

Others have mentioned the front end feeling a bit nervous. Now that I'm getting some fitness and skill back and my speeds are picking up, I'm noticing the same. Having a hard time with front wheel placement and nailing my "cues" at speed. I've also noticed I had to dial back how aggressive I am on the front end as the rear can get light.

Another thing I'm adjusting to is weighting the rear wheel for aggressive front end lift or to pop off of something. The rearward axle movement kind of zaps the energy out of the motion. The other thing I noticed with the wheelbase and chainstay length is it's much more conducive to an aggressive style of riding for those same aggressive wheel lifts and pops. Where I might have been more precise in my movements on my past bike this thing just really lends itself to articulating around on it and muscling it around in a more natural body movements. I'm really liking that.

This thing is fast. Moving to an S5 which is quite a bit longer than anything I have owned feels like I'm finally in the ballpark of the reach I should have always been riding. Very comfortable seated climbing position. Be about a month or more until really feel like I know this thing yet.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1721 - 1740 of 2021 Posts