Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 2021 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Anyone else out there still waiting on bikes ordered last fall? Placed my order back in October and still don’t have a ship date. Gah.
ordering a bike if you actually want one is not the way to currently get a bike with Specialized. It doesn’t matter when you ordered it. They’re sprinkling bikes across all their dealers- one here, one there, etc. Your best bet is to find one in stock somewhere which might already be too late for 2021.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone else out there still waiting on bikes ordered last fall? Placed my order back in October and still don’t have a ship date. Gah.
Yes, I'm in the exact same situation. Unfortunately for us I think what @Streetdoctor said above is true. My LBS has no ETA from Specialized on any of the Stumpy Evos they ordered. I've seen multiple people on here and Pinkbike who placed orders in the fall like us and still have no update. It's frustrating because about 2 weeks ago I saw 3 expert builds in my size show up in stock at dealers in Texas and sat there for about a week... Meanwhile there's people who already have money down and our shops can't get anything.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Meanwhile there's people who already have money down and our shops can't get anything.
Did your lbs give you a delivery date when you put money down for an order?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,684 ·
The dealers have not idea when they are getting bikes right now unless they are very large dealers. Experts are sold out nationwide in every color. Comp's appear to be in stock in several sizes at a few shops across the nation. Right now if you really want a bike, you need to be flexible and willing to drive.

Your best option is to use the "Find Near Me" and jump on a bike if it is within a few hundred miles or make a riding/road trip and go farther.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did your lbs give you a delivery date when you put money down for an order?
No, they "thought" it would be December time frame but said they didn't have anything for certain from Specialized. When I originally inquired with them about a Stumpy Evo, they said they weren't able to submit new orders with Specialized (this was in October). So the bike I put my deposit on was one they already had on order before I spoke with them.

Like @Salespunk mentioned above (and from what I've seen using the "find near me") it seems Experts are already gone and only the large dealers are still getting Comp builds in.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
No, they "thought" it would be December time frame but said they didn't have anything for certain from Specialized. When I originally inquired with them about a Stumpy Evo, they said they weren't able to submit new orders with Specialized (this was in October). So the bike I put my deposit on was one they already had on order before I spoke with them.

Like @Salespunk mentioned above (and from what I've seen using the "find near me") it seems Experts are already gone and only the large dealers are still getting Comp builds in.
Yeah I found my comp about 3 hours away one way. I built it up, kept the brakes, and sold everything else off fairly easily. I ask if you received a date as surpassing that is breach of contract and it's easy to get your money back (not that it may or should be difficult otherwise). Infact one of my buddies who got his comp from the same exact shop did just that.

*Also of note to whom it may concern, several shops I called around to that had bikes in stock were all willing to ship to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: norbertm

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
The Mullet link is just a longer Y yoke thing that is extended correct?
How would lengening that alter progression as reported? I guess by moving pivot points around.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Mullet link is just a longer Y yoke thing that is extended correct?
How would lengening that alter progression as reported? I guess by moving pivot points around.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
No. You can see the mullet link in my weight post back here.

It moves the rear linkage mount point down from stock.

Williams is maybe working on a longer Y yoke for mulleting.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
No. You can see the mullet link in my weight post back here.

It moves the rear linkage mount point down from stock.

Williams is maybe working on a longer Y yoke for mulleting.
Thanks for the clarification.

The Mullet link is not a part I would consider unless I only pedaled lots of rocky trails on my 29er and really needed the pedaling clearance.

But also worth pointing out that due to the stiffer spring rate required with the Cascade link the midrange 'pedaling sag' area is better supported and pedal strikes are reduced.

I have felt what the Cascade link does and I really like it and would not consider a part that went in the opposite direction. Now combining a Williams Yoke with a Cascade could be the right combo for many people.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I found running the 0.86 spacer with the mullet link(more linear) works very with with no LSC on the dpx2. I also needed about 15 psi less with this spacer to get the same sag as 0.6 spacer (157psi for 145 weight).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

The Mullet link is not a part I would consider unless I only pedaled lots of rocky trails on my 29er and really needed the pedaling clearance.

But also worth pointing out that due to the stiffer spring rate required with the Cascade link the midrange 'pedaling sag' area is better supported and pedal strikes are reduced.

I have felt what the Cascade link does and I really like it and would not consider a part that went in the opposite direction. Now combining a Williams Yoke with a Cascade could be the right combo for many people.
you would be fine with the mullet link. It’s not a noticeable difference. Riding with significant descents in Colorado/California at kom pace it doesnt bottom out any easier than the stock link. I wouldn’t say it makes the BB high either, I would say it makes it average (13.8”) and still lower than a lot of other bikes with the option of running it in low and being closer to 13.5”

·
Registered
234 Posts
I found running the 0.86 spacer with the mullet link(more linear) works very with with no LSC on the dpx2. I also needed about 15 psi less with this spacer to get the same sag as 0.6 spacer (157psi for 145 weight).
Makes sense. I had to add12psi to get proper sag on my X2 with mullet link (vs DPX2 with stock 29 link) but then let out some air out on the trail to soften it up. I think adding vol spacers will make it a bit better, at least with the stock links.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Got close to a 20 mile ride on the new mullet config. Very interesting change. I have done this ride 4 total times but only recorded strava twice so anything gold was a win and silver was a loss against the same bike in full 29er. The 27.5 wheel was taken off my HD4 and had the same sram cassette and older version Onyx hub. The tire is a full DH double down minion DHF that is a noticeable difference at 1390g vs the minion EXO 29 at 1017g I had on previously.

So my initial feedback is this. The mullet accelerates better, especially when you are spinning up a short rise or need to get over an obstacle. The mullet pumps better and performs better on flow trail terrain. I had better traction standing up and pedaling up climbs (this was surprising to me). The mullet was quicker in side to side cornering transitions (think tree slalom). The mullet was easier to manual and pop when at speed but was less stable during manuals and on landings. Drifting the mullet, berm slapping and sliding around switchbacks was a blast. The mullet set PRs in every downhill except a fast sandy section and was slower by 3s. The mullet was easier to make line changes and you were rewarded more by doing so (less of a plow bike). The mullet was more fun, but more reckless.

Now the negatives. The mullet didn't carry speed on the rolling terrain nearly as good as the 29. Climbing was slower in every strava segment. I felt more fatigued at the end of the ride with the mullet. Square hits tended to hang up the rear wheel and slow you down more, making me go around rocks more than through them, especially when climbing. I didn't have a lot of pedaly rock gardens on this ride but I do in most of my local trails and I think the mullet would suffer in those spots.

Overall, I'm left feeling that the mullet was more fun but slower overall and more fatiguing. Is the mullet worth it? Right now I would say no, mostly because I built the bike as a 29. I am definitely the active type of rider that prefers to pop over stuff than ride through it, but the overall speed of the 29 has me reluctant to change. I also ride long technical rocky climbs that tend to wear you out and the rear wheel hang ups can definitely add up. I'm 42 yrs old. Am I ready to sacrifice a little fun for speed? Maybe I am. A long time 29er skeptic and hater, turned hypocrite. I guess for now that's true. View attachment 1925520
Same experience.

Agree tires matter, but I always run DD aggressor or DD DHR2 out back. Still same experience.

The mullets more fun, but could tell it drains more over the course of a race weekend. Day 2 the transitions felt like more of a chore than usual, and thats not normally the case for me.

I think its why you see less mullets in enduro, its more about average speed when all else is equal and if your not lift assisted you need to be one of those >4.5w/kg ftp guys to pull it off (or at least more fit than you would on a 29).

Anecdotal - but mulleted my levo sl w/ dh tires and its basically neutered and it and drains the battery easily 20% faster (sl is weak motor to start).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,699 ·
Mounted my Cascade link last night and got out for the first ride. Was really surprised by what a difference it made. Upped my pressure by 16 psi from 196 to 212 in my X2. Also added 2 clicks of LSC and 2 clicks of LSR. Net result is a bike that inspires even more confidence. Felt like I could push harder into loose corners and the bike wasn't kicking around as much in the chatter (there is a lot on the trails I rode). Overall really impressed and set my fastest times in several years on a few descents.

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I got round to putting my Cascade link on the bike with the EXT. Safe to say this bike is an absolute ripper. It has noticeably improved the end stroke support & i'm not bottoming the bike out on hard compressions/corner g-outs now.
Glad to hear the results were so definitely good with the Cascade/ EXT combo. What's your weight & spring-rate?

As valved currently, my EXT isn't working ideally with the Cascade but the guys at Suspension Syndicate are AWESOME and getting it worked out for me.

I noticed on both my DPX2 and my EXT that in combo with the Cascade plus the required stiffer spring rates, that my compression dials end up turned nearly all of the way out and rebound a fair bit in. On the DPX2 the stock shock had poor mid-travel support and sort of wallowed on the stock link, but add the Cascade and the DPX2 is really good in several ways and notably the mid-travel support is much better.

On the other hand the EXT provides a lot more support in the mid-travel area on the stock link (pedaled much better than the DPX2), but I found that mid-travel support excessive and inactive in combo with the Cascade. Should be an easy correction by Corey over at Suspension Syndicate. I'll say this: With that much mid-travel support my Evo pedaled like a XC bike!

Will update when I get the shock back from the boys at Suspension Syndicate and get some ride time.

The 650# spring is like perfect sag for my mid 180s before gear weight. I barely used any spring preload and if I was a bit heavier or carrying more gear could easily add a bit of preload to hold the shock up. That said, if you are 220#s+ not certain that you can add a Cascade to your coil shocked Evo just because you'd likely run out of available spring-rate. Springdex goes to 690#s but I'm not aware of anything else that high.

1681 - 1700 of 2021 Posts