Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1961 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone found the evo rattly? The swat box if it’s half full seems to rattle a lot and leaves a hollow dull noise vibrating through the frame if you don’t fill it all up drove me insane today till I took it out

unless it could be something else but I checked all the usual suspects for looseness rattling etc
Yeah, you need to stuff it big time to stop the rattle...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, you need to stuff it big time to stop the rattle...
Cool I’m really hoping it’s that as I really don’t want start stripping down a new bike and bits as soon as I’ve built it up, I really can’t see what else it is but it makes a god awful noise

I think I’ll just leave the swat empty tbh, maybe use it for the extra water in summer and maybe a thin rain jacket for emergency’S

I use a evoc hip pack so it’s not a problem tbh

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Cool I’m really hoping it’s that as I really don’t want start stripping down a new bike and bits as soon as I’ve built it up, I really can’t see what else it is but it makes a god awful noise

I think I’ll just leave the swat empty tbh, maybe use it for the extra water in summer and maybe a thin rain jacket for emergency’S

its definitely the swat. I noticed the same thing with a couple granola bars in there.

·
Registered
70 Posts

The extra water bag needs some attention too. The cap will knock on the frame too if not folded properly... and the tool bag, if it’s stuffed it can get loose on some gnar and will move down the downtubeafter some time and rattle there. I’m blocking it with my spare rain jacket most of the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DH two ply casing is different from DD, both plenty heavier than EXO. Many World Cup DH athletes would disagree with your assessment of a mullet setup in regards to going around rock gardens. I didn't feel that was an issue either. I agree with you about perceived wheel spin up being quicker. My climbing times were no different on strava, although I do push a bigger gear with the 27.5 wheel. In the end I like the taller BB with a 29" wheel in the mullet link. So many options! I also agree the mullet is definitely more fun though!
It's simple physics that the the rearward force vector increases for the same size rock on a 27.5 vs 29er. I said especially while climbing, which is where I noticed it most because momentum is low. I think in certain terrain the mullet would climb faster due to the ability to accelerate faster.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Has anyone found the evo rattly? The swat box if it’s half full seems to rattle a lot and leaves a hollow dull noise vibrating through the frame if you don’t fill it all up drove me insane today till I took it out

unless it could be something else but I checked all the usual suspects for looseness rattling etc
Yeah for sure. I was convinced that my headset was clunking in the first ride but it was the swat. I ended up wrapping a c-section of thick packing foam around it. Now its tight and you have to press down on the cover slightly to get it closed. The swat hasn't made a sound since but my head tube is making a carbon creak sound. A new Chris king headset and greasing all the new components didn't help sadly. I think it might be the interface between the lower carbon head tube and aluminum insert.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Yeah for sure. I was convinced that my headset was clunking in the first ride but it was the swat. I ended up wrapping a c-section of thick packing foam around it. Now its tight and you have to press down on the cover slightly to get it closed. The swat hasn't made a sound since but my head tube is making a carbon creak sound. A new Chris king headset and greasing all the new components didn't help sadly. I think it might be the interface between the lower carbon head tube and aluminum insert.
Possibly your csu?
That or the upper shock bolt (over torqued) often show up in the lower headset area as high pitched squeaks or pops on carbon frames ime.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
SWAT box does rattle a bit unless its packed full & everything can't move - I have some old moto foam stuffed in there with the tool bag to keep everything still. Only really noticed it in the last few weeks where the trails are drying out and the speed/roughness has increased.

I got round to putting my Cascade link on the bike with the EXT. Safe to say this bike is an absolute ripper. It has noticeably improved the end stroke support & i'm not bottoming the bike out on hard compressions/corner g-outs now. With the extra rear travel I have bumped the fork up to 170mm. Still running it in the high setting, but the slack headset cup, which comes out at ~63 degrees.

Now, it just wants to go fast, everywhere. Really impressed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can confirm it was a mixture of swat box, gx worn eagle chain that was slack as hell (now replaced with new x01) and a bloody plastic ferrule floating around in the bb shell

I’ve not run anything in swat box today and my oh my it’s a silent bike, it’s easily the quietest bike I’ve owned and I’m really pleased with that as I have major ocd with noise

Defo was the swat box for most part so will have to take advice and foam it up if I’m to use it, but chain slap was extremely loud dude to a really worn chain too, combined with having a free to roam plastic ferrule doing god knows what inside too, was lucky to find that really as wouldn’t have had a clue it was in there otherwise If I’d not tipped the frame upside down listening for rattles

Any ways bike is complete it’s a absolute ripper I’m loving it more and more plus I’ve just had my forks fully serviced and de creaked and they feel incredible now too

obligatory pic below

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My Evo has creaked quite badly since I built it up, whenever I apply power. I've went thru every nut and bolt, swapped cassettes, BB, pedals, hub, etc. with no change at all.

Pretty sure it's coming from the front chain ring/ crank interface. I've tried greasing and torqueing it to no avail.

Have noticed the chainring can be rotated several degrees clockwise or counterclockwise when holding the crank in my hand before tightening the mounting bolts so pre-clocking the front chainring counterclockwise before tightening it is on the list today so that chain forces have no where to move it too.

If this doesn't work, I'm buying BT earbuds and drowning the incessant clunking out.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Possibly your csu?
That or the upper shock bolt (over torqued) often show up in the lower headset area as high pitched squeaks or pops on carbon frames ime.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Hmmm, shock bolt is an interesting thought. I do torque all my bolts to spec. I only get the "popping" noise when turning the handlebars though. I tried both loosening and tightening the headset preload bolt but neither helped. Could be this crap ENVE stem. I just had it replaced under warranty for the inserts pulling out of the carbon. A stem swap isn't too horrible so maybe I'll try that next.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My Evo has creaked quite badly since I built it up, whenever I apply power. I've went thru every nut and bolt, swapped cassettes, BB, pedals, hub, etc. with no change at all.

Pretty sure it's coming from the front chain ring. I've tried greasing and torquing it to no avail.

Have noticed the chainring can be rotated several degrees clockwise or counterclockwise before tightening the mounting bolts so pre-clocking the front chainring counterclockwise before tightening it is on the list today so that chain forces have no where to move it too.

If this doesn't work, I'm buying BT earbuds and drowning the incessant clunking out.

Having stripped the frame apart I don’t think for one minute it will be that, it’s a very well put together frame and as long as there’s a bit of grease on the metal to metal contact points I really can’t see why it would creak (especially new even worn knackered bearings don’t creak unless they are completely wrecked)

it’s likely to be a crank interface as you say, last bad creak I had was indeed sram carbon cranks, they had disbonded on the arm on drive side, it drove me insane,until one day I’d checked absolutely everything under the sun (noise ocd as above) I pulled the drive side crank arm outwards towards me and low and behold instant creak, even pushing it back inwards creaked, so no wonder it was on every climb..that’s the first and only time I’ve had a crank do that not common at all in sram ones

also the interface between chainring and crank is a good culprit but with grease and the correct torque can’t see why that would move or creak also

·
Registered
2021 Stumpy Evo S3 SWorks
200 Posts
SWAT box does rattle a bit unless its packed full & everything can't move - I have some old moto foam stuffed in there with the tool bag to keep everything still. Only really noticed it in the last few weeks where the trails are drying out and the speed/roughness has increased.

I got round to putting my Cascade link on the bike with the EXT. Safe to say this bike is an absolute ripper. It has noticeably improved the end stroke support & i'm not bottoming the bike out on hard compressions/corner g-outs now. With the extra rear travel I have bumped the fork up to 170mm. Still running it in the high setting, but the slack headset cup, which comes out at ~63 degrees.

Now, it just wants to go fast, everywhere. Really impressed.
I'm a maniac when it comes to bike noise. I found that anything in the swat, or even the swat bag in the frame empty makes some noise. What I've done is used some rather firm packing foam that I cut out here and there to keep a GUP canister from contacting the sides, same with some cool Topeak lever/chain plier/chain breaker tool thingy, plus some zip ties, finally a Topeak digi tire pressure gauge. That's the stuff I keep in the main Swat bag. In a sunglass bag, also with some softer foam, I have a very small pump and a stan's dart plug tool, along with a couple Benadryl, a tiny blister pack of wd-40 chain lube, and a couple bandaids. The sunglass bag I push down in toward the bottom bracket and it sits in there snug, then I push the Swat bag in, and I run a piece of soft foam between the two. Basically, everything is packed so that nothing in either bag moves, and that nothing hard is in contact with the inside of the frame. I often start early rides with a super packable vest or jacket and end up stuffing that in there between the lower and upper (long) bags. Pretty amazing how much stuff can get in there. All in all I have about a pound and a half of stuff, but out of sight out of mind on the weight and if it's not making noise, all good.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I'm a maniac when it comes to bike noise. I found that anything in the swat, or even the swat bag in the frame empty makes some noise. What I've done is used some rather firm packing foam that I cut out here and there to keep a GUP canister from contacting the sides, same with some cool Topeak lever/chain plier/chain breaker tool thingy, plus some zip ties, finally a Topeak digi tire pressure gauge. That's the stuff I keep in the main Swat bag. In a sunglass bag, also with some softer foam, I have a very small pump and a stan's dart plug tool, along with a couple Benadryl, a tiny blister pack of wd-40 chain lube, and a couple bandaids. The sunglass bag I push down in toward the bottom bracket and it sits in there snug, then I push the Swat bag in, and I run a piece of soft foam between the two. Basically, everything is packed so that nothing in either bag moves, and that nothing hard is in contact with the inside of the frame. I often start early rides with a super packable vest or jacket and end up stuffing that in there between the lower and upper (long) bags. Pretty amazing how much stuff can get in there. All in all I have about a pound and a half of stuff, but out of sight out of mind on the weight and if it's not making noise, all good.
Superglue is a lot more useful in the field for a cut that matters, than a bandaid.
That's my suggestion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I want to thank everyone for spending my money for me again. Cascade link ordered based on everyone's positive feedback. No interest in running a coil on this bike, but I think I will like the increased sensitivity off the top and the progression to keep it from bottoming.
I didn't feel the need for the Cascade link with my air shock but it still rides very well with air. With coil I feel like the Cascade link is a remarkable improvement. The only downside is having to run a very strong spring due to the higher initial leverage rate. I had my DVO Topaz and Ohlins coil tuned because I needed considerably more rebound damping due to the strong spring. You may want to consider getting your shock tuned depending on various factors.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone else out there still waiting on bikes ordered last fall? Placed my order back in October and still don’t have a ship date. Gah.

1661 - 1680 of 1961 Posts