Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1961 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Specialized recommends 200psi for your weight. I have found those numbers to be high, but the Cascade requires and additional 10% due to the leverage ratio. I was still under specialized's recommended pressure at 28% on the cascade. In any case, as others have mentioned the bike is very sensitive to sag and letting out just a few psi can make a surprising transition. I would drop some air until if felt good and then use LSC and LSR to tune pedaling feel and HSC for big hits (if needed). I doubt most people will use the last 5mm of shock travel on the cascade running the correct sag so they should probably call it 148mm travel. Don't get me wrong, it does feel better on the small bump and big hits as well, they just overdid the progression a bit for my taste (given the stock tune on the DPX2).

I was really looking forward to the X2 arriving tomorrow until these comments haha. Are you guys running the aftermarket tune on the X2 and are they 2021 shocks?
I’m 210lbs. 2021 stock tune x2 works great with stock link and has more midstroke support for me than dpx2. I had the .86 spacer in the dpx2 and have 3 spacers in x2, but can probably take one out. X2 is harder to bottom even with compression fully open.

Psi and clicks from closed
275psi
Lsr 8
Hsr 2
Lsc14
Hsc 7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Specialized recommends 200psi for your weight. I have found those numbers to be high, but the Cascade requires and additional 10% due to the leverage ratio. I was still under specialized's recommended pressure at 28% on the cascade. In any case, as others have mentioned the bike is very sensitive to sag and letting out just a few psi can make a surprising transition. I would drop some air until if felt good and then use LSC and LSR to tune pedaling feel and HSC for big hits (if needed). I doubt most people will use the last 5mm of shock travel on the cascade running the correct sag so they should probably call it 148mm travel. Don't get me wrong, it does feel better on the small bump and big hits as well, they just overdid the progression a bit for my taste (given the stock tune on the DPX2).

I was really looking forward to the X2 arriving tomorrow until these comments haha. Are you guys running the aftermarket tune on the X2 and are they 2021 shocks?
I made exaclty the same expiriences. Add or releasy just a few psi in the shock and it makes a huge difference. That's why it's nod so easy to setup the shock. And I'm with you, I think they overdid the progression a bit. Thats why I think the bike is better for coil shock... And so I ordered an EXT today;).
Iown an aftermarked X2shock from 2021.

·
Registered
2021 Stumpy Evo S3 SWorks
200 Posts

First ride on the mullet setup. My bike's an S3 S-Works. Got lucky and found a guy selling the matching Roval Traverse SL 27.5 as a take-off for cheap. All matches perfect. Bought the Specialized Mullet Link from Fanatik for $60 and free shipping and got it in like 2 days (those guys are great). Running an Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9 with a Butcher Trail (stock tire) up front with Tannus Armour Tubeless inserts front and rear (18psi rear 16psi front).

First ride takeaways. First, I was a bit worried about whether I'd want to run it in the high/short setting, but opted to keep it in the long/low, which I much prefer on all my local stuff. Also worried that the kinematics would be different and based on what some others had said, worried that I might blow through travel, need to do some tweaking with psi or spacers. For me, nope, everything felt perfect. I normally hit full travel or close to on every local ride and this morning was same, no more or less. Second, for my usual terrain, I must say that the new Specialized tires are quite good. The Gravity rear tire with the additional T9 is super grippy and damps really well, especially with inserts. It's a calm, planted, confident ride for sure.

Now to the mullet stuff. The route I rode this morning is pretty much my go-to that I ride a lot. It throws pretty much everything at me, with the exception of any large drops or lippy jumps. Plenty of speed, chunk, hits, loose turns, packed turns, s turns and compressions. Plus all the pedaling back up, both on road, singletrack, steep and technical. In a nutshell, the bike (which was already outstanding) just feels more natural, does what you tell it to do and can put it exactly where you want it to be. Example, a high speed, mostly rock trail where you mostly have to just set your line and try to stay on it, this morning was able to make the little line adjustments needed to better set up the next turn, where on the 29 rear wheel, sometimes you feel a bit stuck on your line. On supported turns, the bike comes out of the turn quicker, just feeling faster. Then the obvious stuff, a dude my size, 5'7ish doesn't get hit in the butt so much (not at all today) and the bike for sure handles s-turns and quick corners quite a bit better, as well as the wheel getting up to speed a bit quicker. A particular 90 degree right turn with enough berm to press against was a blast and the exit speed and acceleration out was quite different.

I accept that this was just one ride, but again, it's a route that I ride a ton, my go-to track for feeling differences in setup. Looking forward to a couple of bigger days this weekend with some bigger features and more groomed turns. Any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I had a 2021 X2 stock tune. Its not like it was worse but I never got the game changer feeling and I liked how easy the DPX2 was so I took an $80 loss and now have the Ohlins TTX22 which feels more game changing to me. If im going to drop $600 I want to feel a decent difference otherwise theres no point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a 2021 X2 stock tune. Its not like it was worse but I never got the game changer feeling and I liked how easy the DPX2 was so I took an $80 loss and now have the Ohlins TTX22 which feels more game changing to me. If im going to drop $600 I want to feel a decent difference otherwise theres no point.
Yeah totally agree. I disliked the DPX2 on my 2020 Enduro, and probably why I was so quick to ditch that frame (along with it weighing 8.5lbs). I will say that the factory DPX2 with feels pretty damn good on the EVO but I do miss separate low and high speed compression adjusters. I can't deal with yellow on my bike, sorry Ohlins!

·
Registered
134 Posts

Taken right before riding (and hiking) black mountain in pisgah. After 6 years overly obsessed w/ all things MTB it has all my favorite things. Only thing still considering is switching out rear shock but dpx2 actually surprised me.
6’2’ 190lbs
S5 Stumpjumper Evo. -stock link 29/29
Stock FSA Headset
Bontrager BITS headset tool
Mezzer pro LE 160mm 78/48
Hayes Dominion A4
SRAM GX AXS
Helix R 12 speed cassette
Ethirteen LG1Carbon cranks 165mm
Ethirteen HL 32 tooth chainring
One up 180mm 34.9
Bontrager Line 30 pro laced to Classic Onyx CL hubs DT revolution spokes 28 hole (ok, bontrager wheels are not a favorite but I got a great deal from lbs and availability was immediate...)
Deity Skywire 35 mm / 35 mm rise 780mm
Deity T-Mac pedals
Deity Knuckleduster grips
Industry 9 A35 50mm
XR 5 2.6 Front
XR4 2.4 rear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone with the white/black sworks frame notice yellowing in the white part of the paint? I didnt ride wrap the lower portion of the bb and its super noticeable next to the perfectly white rear triangle that is wrapped

·
Registered
23 Posts
nbuck9...great review of the mullet, I'm still pondering if I want to go that route. What size tire are you running in the back? If I do, going to switch drive train as well, hate the Shimano SLX. I have a sram gx drive train available I'll switch to. Since the comp model has Shimano breaks with Shimano rotors, are those rotors compatible with SRAM XD driver. Never ran mismatched before and just want to make sure.

·
Registered
2021 Stumpy Evo S3 SWorks
200 Posts
nbuck9...great review of the mullet, I'm still pondering if I want to go that route. What size tire are you running in the back? If I do, going to switch drive train as well, hate the Shimano SLX. I have a sram gx drive train available I'll switch to. Since the comp model has Shimano breaks with Shimano rotors, are those rotors compatible with SRAM XD driver. Never ran mismatched before and just want to make sure.
I'm running the 2.3 Specialized Eliminator Gravity in a 2.3. When I mounted it, I inflated to 40psi and let it sit overnight at that and it filled out to a good size (larger than many brands' 2.4 casing). So long as your rotors are 6-hole you're fine

·
Registered
59 Posts
The rotors don't care what driver you have. It only cares if you need a 6 bolt hub or centerlock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rotors don't care what driver you have. It only cares if you need a 6 bolt hub or centerlock.
Yep, Comp comes with centerlock rotors. So @brewoz40, your 27.5 wheel for mullet setup either needs centerlock hub or you'll need a 6-bolt rotor.

[EDIT] I'm not positive, but if you want to keep the single-clamp solution with your GX shifter, I think the Wolftooth ShiftMount MM-ISEV would be what you need.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, Comp comes with centerlock rotors. So @brewoz40, your 27.5 wheel for mullet setup either needs centerlock hub or you'll need a 6-bolt rotor.

[EDIT] I'm not positive, but if you want to keep the single-clamp solution with your GX shifter, I think the Wolftooth ShiftMount MM-ISEV would be what you need.
Thanks for sharing this! I've been struggling with my sram shifter and shimano brake angles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mullet mode complete. Wasn’t too bad until I realized there was a 180 rotor with a 203 adapter, haha. So far it isn’t any easier to manual but acceleration is quick. Also put on the 2020 x2 shock which is plush as hell. Hoping to ride this afternoon.
BA148624-0AFE-4906-BA10-D26D298A8DCC.jpeg

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! I've been struggling with my sram shifter and shimano brake angles.
I use that combo and am happy with it.
I must say though, the Shimano matchmaker bits are class leading right now.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
EXT seems to have a new spring provider as they have a different nomenclature and a lower weight.
I'm going to be testing the 650# spring with the Cascade link sometime next week when I can get back out.
No secret I really dig the adjustability of the Springdex, however what was only a 30 gram difference on a previous spring, is 100 grams in this weight of spring.
Hopefully this spring has me dialed.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,639 ·
It is crazy how fast the Evo is even in rough terrain. One of my friends is thinking about getting an Enduro so he rode mine and I rode the Evo. While the ride of the Evo is definitely more harsh the bike just moves. The one trail where I opened it up I took 16 seconds off my PR on a 4 minute trail. Every other descent I was within a few seconds of my PR's even though I was taking it easy.

Although I like the feel of my Enduro better, the Evo is at least as fast even on trails that should be better suited to the Enduro. The Evo is an insanely capable machine. That is all....

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Stood on my questionable home scale this morning and it had me at 187#s in street clothes.
Cascade link, Arma, 650# spring, I got exactly 15.7mm sag in the seated position with the lightest possible spring preload. Just enough spring preload so that the spring doesn't rattle. Cascade recommends 15.1mm sag at the shock shaft but I found about 16.2 mm to work better for me on the Cascade with the air shock.
I've noticed the springs do sag a bit more once they are ridden.
Anyways, this spring is certainly close enough that I'm going to be able to make it work.
The Arma is the lightest reservoir coil shock, the new springs are lighter than the old ones although the Cascade requires a considerably stiffer rate. Yet still the EXT is 300 grams heavier than the DPX2 which in combination with the Cascade link performs freakin' phenomenally. That weight gain is hard for me to stomach. It's going to need to be damn amazing for me to keep the EXT for trail riding.
I'm waiting on a small part and can't ride just yet, unfortunately. Will update when I do.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

1621 - 1640 of 1961 Posts