Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1970 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m on day 3 in St George. So far I’ve ridden the EXT with the mullet link and 29” wheel. I also ended up swapping to 170mm cranks. With the added 10mm of BB height in this setup and the shorter cranks I’ve purposely tried to hit my crank arms and haven’t. So far I’ve ridden guacamole, zen, and barrel. Pretty good mix of chunky XC tech, and higher speed downhill with a few doubles and bigger drops. No issues with the EXT bottoming with the mullet link either. IMO this is how the bike should have came. I switched back to the air shock to feel the difference today and plan on riding some harder stuff out East. I’ll probably spend one more day here and then head to Southern California for Sun-Wed.
Hi Streetdoctor,

Whta are you thinking about the EXT so far in the bike?
Do you think the EXT will hold and not break apart at some point like Fox shox will? Hope the thicker 14mm Alu shaft is enough...Instead of 9.5mm steel
I'll order the Float X2 shock and think later also the EXT if I hear nothing bad. ;). I'm running my bikewith the stock link now but I'm looking forward for the caascade link. I don't have any issues with the low BB. I like it and I think I get more grip with it.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I wonder if Cascade would consider a link that raises the BB and progression? Not sure what that may do to seat & head tube angles though. Obviously the head angle has a lot of adjustment regardless.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
How are the people who are using shimmed 31.6 dropper posts liking it? I can save half a pound easily and get an updated dropper by doing it but if its going to creak or have negative side effects then I wont do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been running a shimmed dropper on this bike since day one and on other bikes for the last few years. Install it using assembly paste and you shouldn't have a single problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m on day 3 in St George. So far I’ve ridden the EXT with the mullet link and 29” wheel. I also ended up swapping to 170mm cranks. With the added 10mm of BB height in this setup and the shorter cranks I’ve purposely tried to hit my crank arms and haven’t. So far I’ve ridden guacamole, zen, and barrel. Pretty good mix of chunky XC tech, and higher speed downhill with a few doubles and bigger drops. No issues with the EXT bottoming with the mullet link either. IMO this is how the bike should have came. I switched back to the air shock to feel the difference today and plan on riding some harder stuff out East. I’ll probably spend one more day here and then head to Southern California for Sun-Wed.
I was pretty set on going with the Cascade link, but this set up has me super intrigued for the higher BB. Would be interested to know what geo settings you're running in this setup... I'd assume the high BB and slack HA?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’m going to run the Cascade Link with the Williams mullet yoke. I want to try a mullet setup as I’ve ridden a couple recently and intrigued to try one on the Stumpy, but not lose any more progression, already finding there isn’t enough with the stock link as a 29er setup.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m going to run the Cascade Link with the Williams mullet yoke. I want to try a mullet setup as I’ve ridden a couple recently and intrigued to try one on the Stumpy, but not lose any more progression, already finding there isn’t enough with the stock link as a 29er setup.
Sounds like we need a Cascade mullet link with 160 travel.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
At this point I don't know what parts are what and what they even do any longer. That said, you don't need big jumps or anything to completely blow through the Evo's travel and I agree, it needs more progression particularly for a coil application. 20% progression doesn't seem to be enough for this application.

If I was selecting a link I'd want it to raise and steepen the bike slightly while also adding progression. A 29er & a Mullet version would seem to be the ticket.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,309 ·
Let me know if you are in SD

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,310 ·
How are the people who are using shimmed 31.6 dropper posts liking it? I can save half a pound easily and get an updated dropper by doing it but if its going to creak or have negative side effects then I wont do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing negative, I have run them on several bikes without issues.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Let me know if you are in SD
almost called you! Ended up going to Santa Barbara to ride with another buddy. pretty cool trails up there, similar to Colorado but more sandstone and way less people.

I just got notification my cascade link shipped yesterday. Still debating between buying a Williams yoke extender (whenever they come out) and hoping the 29” wheel still fits or just selling the cascade link. I really like my current setup, even with the EXT it feels fine.I would like to experiment to see if I can go down one spring weight (to a 550) with a more progressive suspension link and if that would make the coil feel more supple and coil-like. I dunno if it’s worth losing the BB height though.

While the EXT works fine even now with the specialized mullet link it doesn’t feel any better to me than the super deluxe I am running and there is a weight penalty. My preferred setup right now is the M/M super deluxe with max volume spacers. I will probably end up selling or returning the cascade link and possibly the coil. The price of the Williams yoke seems crazy for what it is.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I was pretty set on going with the Cascade link, but this set up has me super intrigued for the higher BB. Would be interested to know what geo settings you're running in this setup... I'd assume the high BB and slack HA?
im running a 170mm Zeb with the middle HTA setting and in High mode. My HTA is 63.5 and the seat tube is roughly 1 degree more steep. If I was running a 160 fork I would run it in slack.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
im running a 170mm Zeb with the middle HTA setting and in High mode. My HTA is 63.5 and the seat tube is roughly 1 degree more steep. If I was running a 160 fork I would run it in slack.
That's with the mullet link/29'r? How much do you weigh again?... Curious on the super deluxe. I think I weigh quite a bit more than you but perhaps with the cascade link the super deluxe would work for me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just received noticed it shipped on the 5th, looks like delivery is slated for Thursday. I did clean my bike today to prep for install. A big storm is coming though so might be awhile before trails are ready and I get to ride and evaluate the link.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Apparently the cascade links are shipping. Did anyone receive one and have a ride report?
I received and installed my Cascade Link. No rides on it yet though. I will say the initial leverage rate is considerably higher and my DVO Topaz required about 20 PSI more air to reach 30% sag. I'm running such high pressures I think I'm going to need to get my shock tuned. I was already unhappy with the high speed rebound damping and these higher pressures are going to make it even worse. I'm on the fence about running a coil at my weight (220lbs). I'll need at least a 700lb spring if not higher.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That's with the mullet link/29'r? How much do you weigh again?... Curious on the super deluxe. I think I weigh quite a bit more than you but perhaps with the cascade link the super deluxe would work for me.

Yes. im about 195. If you’re heavier you want an air shock over a coil. I’m only at 230psi at my weight. The M/M tune super deluxe is way better than the specialized tune on the DPX2 IMO.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I received and installed my Cascade Link. No rides on it yet though. I will say the initial leverage rate is considerably higher and my DVO Topaz required about 20 PSI more air to reach 30% sag. I'm running such high pressures I think I'm going to need to get my shock tuned. I was already unhappy with the high speed rebound damping and these higher pressures are going to make it even worse. I'm on the fence about running a coil at my weight (220lbs). I'll need at least a 700lb spring if not higher.
Yeah, no doubt on the coil spring. The spring alone is probably 2lbs haha. As much as I want to run an EXT or Push, it's more likely I'll go with a Fox X2. It would be nice if they could get the same (or lower leverage rate) but then the shock stroke would need to change and probably no room for that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have been running the bike in a few GEO positions now and have some feedback. In the Low/Middle position the bike is very stable, and very balanced in corners, the seat tube feel slightly slack but very close to optimal. I tried the High/Middle position next and it didn't seem to really climb better, although it was slightly more comfortable, it was less confident going downhill (I even had my second crash on the bike) and I still will hit my pedals in the same places I would in the low position. I then tried the High/Slack position as this is what Cody Kelley and Max Sedlak are running, it brought back a bit of that stability I was missing, I like the feeling of the slack headcup as I can remain in the attack position more, and the seat tube is the steepest in this position although I don't feel like I'm climbing any faster up the hill. It feels just ever so slightly unbalanced in corners with the shorter rear end so I am going to try the Low/Slack position which is what the Freehub mag guy ran it in.

At the end of the day for me I don't really get a bohner going up technical climbs and I will pedal strike on certain climbs whether I'm in the High or the Low position if I don't time my pedal strokes right. When the bike is in the low position you can really just let off the brakes and the stability and cornering is amazing, I will trade that for maybe 1 extra bash guard usage here and there (I've smacked it once in the 4 months of ownership), but its not like those rocks are only going to hit your Bash at 331 and not 338 or whatever the difference is, they may even hit on a 350 BB. The Ratios of the front to rear centers are like this for an S3 L/M 1.77, H/M 1.78, H/S 1.81, L/S 1.79. If you want maximum front wheel traction and stability the Low/Middle is killer, I'm hoping the Low/Slack is basically almost the same but gets the seat angle perfect and the slacker headtube is easier to stay in the correct riding position.

·
Registered
729 Posts
^ Nice. Super cool to have a bike that allows such experimentation. I've only been running mine in High/Slack and really like it that way.

Once I get the Cascade link installed and some time on it I am tempted to try a 170mm fork. I like my front end maybe a bit soft and I think that on steeps it's making the bike sit a little low then. So the Cascade link making the bike 158mm and then a 170mm fork might bring some balance and raise capability without much downside in theory.

1301 - 1320 of 1970 Posts