Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1281 - 1291 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
SLX is the four piston XTR/XT design with some lower cost changes. Saints are a completely different package with forged calipers, etc that have been around for years. Zee's are the lower cost version of the Saints. BTW Saints are my favorite trail bike brakes by far.
When I changed from the guide R’s to the saints on my Rocky instinct, it totally changed the bike. So much more stopping power, could ride faster and slow down later. And never got forearm pump again. With the guides I had to be on the brakes all the time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've not ridden the SLX's and can't find any direct comparison to Saint's. Have you ridden the SLX'S?
If the Saints are indeed that much more powerful I'd like to switch the calipers over before selling my other bike. I won't have the benefit of having ridden the SLX's first to compare though which doesn't make for an informed decision.
I used the SLX M675 which are few generations old now, and went to Saint M820s. I used the same spec rotor for the switch, just new. To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the Saints initially. I think it's more a testament to how good those SLXs that I had were rather than a negative to the Saint's performance.

I will say the difference for me is in more interesting moments where it is either very steep, or very fast, the Saints seem to have just a little bit more in reserve than the SLXs. And they look cooler, which is the most important thing 🤣

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,286
I've been on saints for the last three seasons, they're great brakes.

Best I can tell from past reading, at least the XT calipers are also machined from a forged block. The SLX's are definitely a bit different though. The caliper is about 3mm wider than my Saint caliper and that mainly seems to be for the pads retracting further from the rotor. There's also the aforementioned difference in the bleed ports which the first gen XT 4 piston do not share.

I've not ridden the SLX's and can't find any direct comparison to Saint's. Have you ridden the SLX'S?

If the Saints are indeed that much more powerful I'd like to switch the calipers over before selling my other bike. I won't have the benefit of having ridden the SLX's first to compare though which doesn't make for an informed decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
The Saints have a little bit more peak power relative to the SLX/XT setups. The XT's are cast, not forged which is a last 5% improvement meaning to say it is small.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
These modern 29ers and tires seem to generate a lot of torque at the wheels, and brakes that previously felt strong and even skid prone, just don't feel particularly strong any longer.

Consequently I find myself expending too much physical and mental energy trying to modulate my speed. Doesn't help that I've always been a 1 index finger brake operator kind of guy all through my motorcycle days.

Solution? : Trickstuff Brakes combined with their HD rotors ordered last September!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
just wanted to post a nice little hack that works well, actually from my friend Nick that posts on this thread.
I've been using the internal bladder and have to shove the swat up the downtube. well it can get stuck up there. Add some string.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
These modern 29ers and tires seem to generate a lot of torque at the wheels, and brakes that previously felt strong and even skid prone, just don't feel particularly strong any longer.

Consequently I find myself expending too much physical and mental energy trying to modulate my speed. Doesn't help that I've always been a 1 index finger brake operator kind of guy all through my motorcycle days.

Solution? : Trickstuff Brakes combined with their HD rotors ordered last September!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
wut?

1281 - 1291 of 1291 Posts