Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1970 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
What settings are people running that are finding the BB too low?

I’ve been riding the comp and want to try the .86 as I can’t believe how perfect the bike has felt stock. I need to tweak something.
Also so freaking scared about thieves this summer especially with such a hot bike. Next upgrades will be locks. It’s actually currently locked in my basement but I do live in Ogden.
175mm cranks in high with a 170mm fork and the middle headset setup. I normally am not one to complain about a low BB, but I really like 175mm cranks and this thing is really low. “Low” is not useable.
Hmmm, actually looking at the geo charts in slack with a bb differential of 8mm between high and low and and angle change of only 1/2 a degree , I’m thinking that raising it by 7/16 which is 11mm should only be a max of about 3/4 of a degree change? How’s my nerding out ? Am I close with the calculations?
I just measured using a phone app.

keep in mind I’m running a 170mm fork and this is in a rear wheel stand so the actual numbers don’t matter for most.

With the 29” wheel in the mullet link versus a 27.5” wheel the head and seat tube angle got 0.9 degrees more steep. For my setup this translates to slightly slacker (due to the stand) than a 63.5 HTA with the 29” wheel if the angle finder app is correct.

if you were running the standard headset adapter you could run it in slack mode and your HTA would not change.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
No. If anything you could possibly run a lighter spring but it likely won't matter.
What's the reasoning behind that? Because the link provides additional bottom out resistance?

My thinking was that the higher initial LR would require a stiffer spring to have the same sag.

I guarantee the next version of this bike will be touting more LR progression.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
What's the reasoning behind that? Because the link provides additional bottom out resistance?

My thinking was that the higher initial LR would require a stiffer spring to have the same sag.

I guarantee the next version of this bike will be touting more LR progression.
Exactly. A lighter spring will give it more of that coil feel of extreme traction while climbing. You could probably just open up LSC a bunch to get the same feel though. I’m going to experiment with the EXT and the specialized mullet link next week. I’ll be on a 10 day road trip through St George, Sedona, Tucson, and Santa Fe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
First ride on a 2021 X2. Pretty happy with it. All three volume spacers. 270psi (vs 275psi in dpx2). The shock feels more supportive in the mid stroke and doesn't blow through the travel as easy as the DPX2 did when at the same sag. Improves plowability of the bike, but also pedals better. I probably won't need the cascade link for my normal riding, but may get one anyway for trips when I want to go bigger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Strangely I'm having a harder time dialing in my 2021 Fox 36. In my 2020 I ran 1 volume spacer and 84psi. I'm up to 5 volume spacers and 86psi in the 2021. I tried more air and only two volume spacers but thought it was feeling a bit harsh off the top. It seems like maybe the 2021 air spring changes made it dive through the travel easier than the 2020 version.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Not really new, a lot of shock companies produce a stainless steel shaft for these bikes. I know for sure Ohlins, and Push do. I need to inquire about the EXT but so far I haven’t heard of any issues.
I asked Suspension Syndicate about this and he told me that he has seen exactly 1 EXT shaft break on a bike, and it was a Spesh.

The Fox has a 9mm shaft that can break, other shocks like the EXT are closer to 12mm which dramatically increases their strength when you are talking about a 33% increase in diameter.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not really new, a lot of shock companies produce a stainless steel shaft for these bikes. I know for sure Ohlins, and Push do. I need to inquire about the EXT but so far I haven’t heard of any issues.
I've never heard of a stainless steel shaft on a rear shock. Why would they use stainless?

·
Registered
7 Posts
saw this in the PB forum.. View attachment 1918259
Where have you seen this? do you have a link to the Article?

This unsettles me a little. I have the DHX2 installed in my bike. The shock works great and I would actually like to ride this.
Does anyone else drive such a? Do you know people in which the damper in a Stumpjumper is already broken? I want to prevent this at all costs, because the rear end would break immediately.
My Bikeshop asks Specialized for an official statement. I'm curious what they say.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Where have you seen this? do you have a link to the Article?

This unsettles me a little. I have the DHX2 installed in my bike. The shock works great and I would actually like to ride this.
Does anyone else drive such a? Do you know people in which the damper in a Stumpjumper is already broken? I want to prevent this at all costs, because the rear end would break immediately.
My Bikeshop asks Specialized for an official statement. I'm curious what they say.
There is a recent thread somewhere on this forum where a guy with a new Levo SL broke a DHX2 shock shaft. Damaged his frame. Fox sent him a new shock but Spesh won't do anything for his frame as the shock is not approved for use on the frame.
The Fox is not approved for 'yoke' style suspension linkages. Apparently it's not flex or alignment but has to do with leverage ratios but I don't know that for certain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a recent thread somewhere on this forum where a guy with a new Levo SL broke a DHX2 shock shaft. Damaged his frame. Fox sent him a new shock but Spesh won't do anything for his frame as the shock is not approved for use on the frame.
The Fox is not approved for 'yoke' style suspension linkages. Apparently it's not flex or alignment but has to do with leverage ratios but I don't know that for certain.

What a mess, huge disappointment, I wonder if the rest of the coil shock industry will take fox's path...
I bought this bike to put a coil in the future but now what? They should make a recall or a refund as the bike and the features are not as advertised....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
What a mess, huge disappointment, I wonder if the rest of the coil shock industry will take fox's path...
I bought this bike to put a coil in the future but now what? They should make a recall or a refund as the bike and the features are not as advertised....
Well the Fox, and some older Cane Creek shocks apparently are the only ones that have the small shafts that have this problem.
EXT told me 1 failure in years and a bunch of us run them with no issue and I believe 11-6 has a special shock shaft specifically for Spesh bikes. It's made of SS or something.
Sorry for your troubles and good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
my buddy has a levo sl and it happened to his dhx2 twice around 6 months ago. Heavier rider. The shaft didn’t fully break, it seemed like a bushing inside the body and around the shaft was taking too much load and would break. Then the shock would have a ton of side to side play at the shaft. Fox swapped repai it for an X2 after the second failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First ride on a 2021 X2. Pretty happy with it. All three volume spacers. 270psi (vs 275psi in dpx2). The shock feels more supportive in the mid stroke and doesn't blow through the travel as easy as the DPX2 did when at the same sag. Improves plowability of the bike, but also pedals better. I probably won't need the cascade link for my normal riding, but may get one anyway for trips when I want to go bigger.
Thanks for that. Are you riding the X2 with it's stock tune?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for that. Are you riding the X2 with it's stock tune?
Stock tune. The shock has such a wide range of adjustment, I'm not sure what I would want out of a custom tune. I do think the fox recommendations for compression clicks are way too high at the higher PSI ranges. The shock feels like you have a climb switch on with HSC and LSC turned as high as they say. Also found their rebound recco to be a bit slow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the X2 shock fit easely in the frame? Is there enough clearance between the "volume can" of the shock and the frames side arm?
Think I change the shock to X2 andd or order the EXT. Has anybody out there some experience with the X2 and DHX2 from 2021, is there a big difference?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does the X2 shock fit easely in the frame? Is there enough clearance between the "volume can" of the shock and the frames side arm?
Think I change the shock to X2 andd or order the EXT. Has anybody out there some experience with the X2 and DHX2 from 2021, is there a big difference?
Someone posted pics earlier, it fits fine. A bit tight getting it on, but once you have it on there are no clearance issues.

1241 - 1260 of 1970 Posts