Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Those scratches suck big time for a new bike, that's something you at least want to have a good story about... :) Did they know what happened? Did somebody fess up, or shipping damage or something.

Just found out my s5 evo that they said should be here in November is now slated for nobody knows when it will be here but eventually and I can get my money back... Fme...

Crappy thing is I just dumped my Sentinel for cheap to make room before it got here. DAMN

Kinda thinking about driving to pick up the regular stumpy to ride in the meantime and to have as a shorter travel bike. But not sure I can get away this weekend and pickens are SLIM!
Yup, shipping so there going through the shipper to see if they will pay anything out for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those scratches suck big time for a new bike, that's something you at least want to have a good story about... :) Did they know what happened? Did somebody fess up, or shipping damage or something.

Just found out my s5 evo that they said should be here in November is now slated for nobody knows when it will be here but eventually and I can get my money back... Fme...

Crappy thing is I just dumped my Sentinel for cheap to make room before it got here. DAMN

Kinda thinking about driving to pick up the regular stumpy to ride in the meantime and to have as a shorter travel bike. But not sure I can get away this weekend and pickens are SLIM!
Sentinel V2 ? If so, why's that ?

I just ordered one this morning since the SJ Evo is probably out of stock till 2022 and I don't want to risk not having a bike for next season.

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
just a V1 with the Cascade link. BUT I would have kept it until I had the Evo in hand if they'd have told me originally what they did yesterday.

**** happens, I believe that the shop told me what they were being told at the time and that it was the best information they had. Just sucks...

From what the shop told me the US distribution comes in and then they allocate from what they received VS all of the orders they have to fill because the bikes are oversold. So they are just kind of sprinkling them across the country filling orders. So it's less like having a bike on order as it is winning the allocation lottery! :)

Anyway, that's cool that you found a Sentinel V2 to buy!!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
All I can say is that I hope that you are incorrect and I was given a pretty firm delivery date to Spesh of my actual frame in Mid-December. Now with Covid I get that deliveries could be delayed a bit and I'm prepared for shipping delays, but not some massive production delay.

Guess I'll just hope for the best.

Also, don't ever sell the old bike until you have the new one in hand.

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
I only know what they told me...? If they are blowing smoke to cover their tails that would PMTFO. But, no point in worrying about it unless I know different or there is something I can do to change it? Be great if someone in the know could chime in...

I know, was trying to avoid the guilt trip! :) AND we got an honest 12 inches of snow the week before that kinda put the spur into getting it sold... And I've still got my Honzo to ride.

Good luck!! Everyone WITH Evo's keep posting pics!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
This is how my evo currently sits. I bought an expert and stripped it down to the frame which was all I wanted due to color options. Anyways, I am waiting on some Zipp 3Zero Moto wheels to show up before installing the brakes and chain. I stole the wheels from my new stumpjumper or else it would be out on the trails! IMG_0970.jpg

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Got my first ride today and it was pretty terrible. I tried setting up my sag and came to around 285 for 30% sag which I couldn’t believe. Got out and felt like I had a hard tail between my legs. Against my better judgement I thought I’d try to let out some air without a shock pump and you guessed it I let out too much. So I returned home not finishing the entire ride. When I got home I rechecked everything and realized I used 50mm (small shock) vs the 55mm shock size on the rest of the lineup. Not that it makes a huge difference but I lowered it to 265 which is a little more then 30% sag. We will try again tomorrow in Glorietta which should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats to you guys with your EVOs. I went to my LBS last Friday where they were having an SJ event thrown by Specialized. Had some corporate guys there. (Product manager, regional rep to stores etc) They couldn’t even tell me when I’d get my 21 SJ EVO Expert. Said they’re constrained by the component manufacturers. They’re building them as fast as they can.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It is (and will continue to be) an issue, there are manufacturers out there who are unable to get Fox product until mid '21 now as an example.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Got my first ride today and it was pretty terrible. I tried setting up my sag and came to around 285 for 30% sag which I couldn’t believe. Got out and felt like I had a hard tail between my legs. Against my better judgement I thought I’d try to let out some air without a shock pump and you guessed it I let out too much. So I returned home not finishing the entire ride. When I got home I rechecked everything and realized I used 50mm (small shock) vs the 55mm shock size on the rest of the lineup. Not that it makes a huge difference but I lowered it to 265 which is a little more then 30% sag. We will try again tomorrow in Glorietta which should be fun!

Just an FYI a shock pump fits in the downtube for setup rides. On new bikes I carry almost everything to that it would take to rebuild the bike or make changes for the first 5 or 10 rides.

What is your weight? These bikes have a wide range of "30%" sag pressures.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
It is (and will continue to be) an issue, there are manufacturers out there who are unable to get Fox product until mid '21 now as an example.
I have heard that is the constraint issue right now. They don't expect new stock until the MY22 Fox stuff is released.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That’s a good idea I thought about putting one in there. I’m terrible about riding with a shock pump the first few rides. I’m around 215 and specialized recommended 300psi which is just crazy talk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone done any big 25 mile / 5000'+ days with their Evo yet? I have an expert on order and I am coming from a 2016 Norco Optic - 120 rear travel. I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency of the Evo. 75% of my climbs are doubletrack, the rest techy singletrack. Just curious what people's experience has been. I'm a little worried I should be riding the standard SJ.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Has anyone done any big 25 mile / 5000'+ days with their Evo yet? I have an expert on order and I am coming from a 2016 Norco Optic - 120 rear travel. I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency of the Evo. 75% of my climbs are doubletrack, the rest techy singletrack. Just curious what people's experience has been. I'm a little worried I should be riding the standard SJ.
Not on the 2021 SJ Evo as mine has not arrived yet, but I've done plenty big rides like you describe on the 2020 Enduro and the 2019 SJ Evo Alloy as well as a few other Enduros and SJs. I also have the Epic Evo which somewhat similar to your Optic. I think the new SJ Evo will be perfect for these types of Epics ...as long as it is not a requirement that you crush all the uphills.

81 - 100 of 2022 Posts