Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1942 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It's too hot here in the Summer to enjoy riding so this is our season.

Just got word that my frame should reach me around mid-January.

·
Registered
177 Posts
can anyone compare the stumpy evo to the megatower? been deciding between the two. at 6´1" i would take an xl mt or an s5 stumpy evo. stumpy should be similar in behaviour or is it more playful than mt? wheelbase is even longer on the evo.
regards

·
Registered
146 Posts
SJ Evo, Semi-custom, S4, Done - 29.1lbs with pedals, cage, tool

Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

Table - 2.jpg Table - 1.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check sizing

can anyone compare the stumpy evo to the megatower? been deciding between the two. at 6´1" i would take an xl mt or an s5 stumpy evo. stumpy should be similar in behaviour or is it more playful than mt? wheelbase is even longer on the evo.
regards
At 6'1", I'd suggest trying the S4 SJ Evo. Probably big enough and I'm sure the Size L Megatower would be plenty big.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

View attachment 1375477 View attachment 1375479
Be careful about how you measure stack. I just made a mistake on my setups and it took me a few months to figure out the issue on my Kenevo. If you are trying to mirror your previous setup make sure to measure your bar height from the center of the BB and not from the floor.

Not saying that is the issue here since it would be backwards from the problem you are describing, just thought I would mention it. Made a huge difference once I got the proper setup on my Kevevo.

·
Registered
177 Posts
s4 has just a reach of 475 thats too short for my liking. last few bikes were santa cruz xl with 490 reach which is perfect..shorter reach and i feel like i go over the bars. transition sentinel in large from a buddy with 475 reach feels too small.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Got my first ride in today. At 5'8 the S3 fits perfect with a 40mm stem. Im running the same setup on my regular stumpy. The bike rips and with minimal setup it felt pretty dialed right away.

evo.jpg

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
s4 has just a reach of 475 thats too short for my liking. last few bikes were santa cruz xl with 490 reach which is perfect..shorter reach and i feel like i go over the bars. transition sentinel in large from a buddy with 475 reach feels too small.
I've ordered an S5, and I'm only a 5'11" but with oddly long arms and legs (I actually lost 3/4-1" of height in my spine after shattering it).

Unfortunately I don't get to ride tons of bikes, but I just tried to match up mostly reach but also stack and top tube to what I have on my existing bike (L Mondraker) and the direction I'd like to change it in. Also I really wanted to try a longer CS as I suspect my current short CS's combined with my long front center is why it's hard to get enough front traction and the S4 has the short CS.

But everyone seems to be going so small that I can't help but wonder if I screwed up. Can't imagine going shorter than my current bike.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Will the BSA BB that I installed on my Foxy 29 when new, simply unscrew from my Foxy and thread in to my new Evo frame (when it arrives)?

Are they all the same? Don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I've ordered an S5, and I'm only a 5'11" but with oddly long arms and legs (I actually lost 3/4-1" of height in my spine after shattering it).

Unfortunately I don't get to ride tons of bikes, but I just tried to match up mostly reach but also stack and top tube to what I have on my existing bike (L Mondraker) and the direction I'd like to change it in. Also I really wanted to try a longer CS as I suspect my current short CS's combined with my long front center is why it's hard to get enough front traction and the S4 has the short CS.

But everyone seems to be going so small that I can't help but wonder if I screwed up. Can't imagine going shorter than my current bike.
The S5 Evo has the same reach as the S4 Enduro so you will be fine. They are designed so that you can size up or down based on preference.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The S5 Evo has the same reach as the S4 Enduro so you will be fine. They are designed so that you can size up or down based on preference.
I noticed the same regarding S4 E29 = S5 Evo. Thanks.

Think I just prefer being a bit stretched out and in fact I run a 45mm stem on my Foxy (stock was 30mm) and honestly I could go longer. So the S5 with like a 35-40mm stem is no longer in any regard. Same stack can be achieved by just running a bit flatter bar.

The SJ Evo is going to be a much longer bike either way as a result of the slacker HTA, steeper STA, and longer CS. That's going to be... different. A few tight, janky, awkward turns around here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What’s everyone using for rear shock pressure? The website recommends 300psi and I weight 210-215 fully geared. That’s can’t be right can it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
What’s everyone using for rear shock pressure? The website recommends 300psi and I weight 210-215 fully geared. That’s can’t be right can it???

Yep the web tool was way off for me as well suggesting close to 300 psi. I'm 205-210 with gear running somewhere around 260 psi./~30% sag.

I did try the recommended psi and it was like 15% sag or something crazy like that.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yep the web tool was way off for me as well suggesting close to 300 psi. I'm 205-210 with gear running somewhere around 260 psi./~30% sag.

I did try the recommended psi and it was like 15% sag or something crazy like that.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
Good to know I kinda figured. I haven’t been impressed with Specialized tuning webpage. Very poor compared to Yeti’s and some others.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Well, found a place with a black Expert S4 in stock and decided to buy it. Figured the upgrade was worth it since I was going to buy a grip 2 dampener anyways. I just hope the Code RS brakes don’t fade like the Code Rs due. Hopefully will get it this week depending on work schedule.

Curious to hear your impressions of this bike vs the Enduro. We live in the same area and I really dig my Enduro for most riding but now that it's foothills season the new Stumpys are looking good.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Curious to hear your impressions of this bike vs the Enduro. We live in the same area and I really dig my Enduro for most riding but now that it's foothills season the new Stumpys are looking good.
Ya, I really enjoyed the Enduro as it climbs up pretty much everything you want. But it just felt like a lot of bike majority of the time. So that’s I why I decided to try the Stumpy. Should get my first rides Thursday and Friday. Though, I’m a little bummed that my new bike came scratched and trying to figure out the best corse of action. It’s on the top tube which drives me crazy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s on the top tube which drives me crazy.
Oof that would drive me crazy on a brand new bike! I assume that the shop or Specialized won't do anything about it. I would ask to get comp'ed in some way.

I would recommend to color the scratches with a black Sharpie. It should reduce the eyesore nature of them significantly...

My S4 S-Works is at my shop and I should be picking it up this weekend. Thankfully it has no scratches! I am just having a couple things upgraded pre-delivery.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oof that would drive me crazy on a brand new bike! I assume that the shop or Specialized won't do anything about it. I would ask to get comp'ed in some way.

I would recommend to color the scratches with a black Sharpie. It should reduce the eyesore nature of them significantly...

My S4 S-Works is at my shop and I should be picking it up this weekend. Thankfully it has no scratches! I am just having a couple things upgraded pre-delivery.
Yup, and the resale value takes a nose dive. I’m waiting to hear back to see what they will do. Either way I almost just want to return it completely.

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
Those scratches suck big time for a new bike, that's something you at least want to have a good story about... :) Did they know what happened? Did somebody fess up, or shipping damage or something.

Just found out my s5 evo that they said should be here in November is now slated for nobody knows when it will be here but eventually and I can get my money back... Fme...

Crappy thing is I just dumped my Sentinel for cheap to make room before it got here. DAMN

Kinda thinking about driving to pick up the regular stumpy to ride in the meantime and to have as a shorter travel bike. But not sure I can get away this weekend and pickens are SLIM!

61 - 80 of 1942 Posts