Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What does the Mullet with the link do to rear travel and geo, not to mention suspension behavior in general? Sure looks rad I must say

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
You’re gonna run dpx2 for your air shock or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably a super deluxe. It should be here tomorrow.

I’m assuming the Mullet link retains stock geometry but specialized doesn’t say.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Ride was short because it was getting cold but the Mullet was super fun. Makes the bike even more snappy and playful. Stock DPX2 is garbage. 260psi gave me 28% sag and I used full travel on a trail I shouldn’t have. Has anyone seen a benefit from running the 0.86 spacer? I don’t think I will ever run this in 29” mode again.

https://strava.app.link/y9fQ1I6hddb

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Ride was short because it was getting cold but the Mullet was super fun. Makes the bike even more snappy and playful. Stock DPX2 is garbage. 260psi gave me 28% sag and I used full travel on a trail I shouldn’t have. Has anyone seen a benefit from running the 0.86 spacer? I don’t think I will ever run this in 29” mode again.
View attachment 1912474

https://strava.app.link/y9fQ1I6hddb View attachment 1912475
Yes. Install the .86 volume spacer. Run the shock in the middle 'trail' position, start LSC & Rebound at 5 from closed.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Does anyone know the tune for the stock DPX2? Having my X2 custom tuned and would like to know the base to start from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know the tune for the stock DPX2? Having my X2 custom tuned and would like to know the base to start from.
Well, here are the shock codes I know. D826, D825, D824 and D823. Comp, Expert, Pro, S-works.
I can't speak to whether these are correct, but here's what dragoontwo posted a couple pages ago. There's currently a DPX2 Performance showing D826 listed on pinkbike as an Evo take off, so seems right.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I can't speak to whether these are correct, but here's what dragoontwo posted a couple pages ago. There's currently a DPX2 Performance showing D826 listed on pinkbike as an Evo take off, so seems right.
d826 is correct for S4-6. I would be cautious though, I think it needs a heavier compression stack than whatever specialized spec’ed. The stock dpx2 was pretty disappointing in the one ride I have on it. The Super Deluxe I ordered is a stock M/M tune. I think it will do much better than both the stock dpx2 and the X2 that was linear compression/medium rebound that I had. FWIW even the linear compression 2021 X2 was much better than the stock DPX2. I should have a ride on the Super Deluxe on Friday if I can find hardware today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think
d826 is correct for S4-6. I would be cautious though, I think it needs a heavier compression stack than whatever specialized spec’ed. The stock dpx2 was pretty disappointing in the one ride I have on it. The Super Deluxe I ordered is a stock M/M tune. I think it will do much better than both the stock dpx2 and the X2 that was linear compression/medium rebound that I had. FWIW even the linear compression 2021 X2 was much better than the stock DPX2. I should have a ride on the Super Deluxe on Friday if I can find hardware today.
I'm interested in replacing my DPX2 with a Mara Pro. I am also kinda coil curious, too.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
We are opposite ends of the spectrum. I am running my DPX2 wide open on compression. Probably means they got the tune right for everyone else 🤣

·
Registered
712 Posts
That EXT must be damn impressive because I really enjoyed my ride Sunday with my stock expert build DPX2. I'm running 15.5 maybe 15mm of sag. I am running only two clicks out on compression, so quite a lot of compression. I'm using the middle pedal mode for climbing and descending in full open.

I've never liked a DPX2 but I'm quite impressed with this unit. Also I've never heard much damping sounds from a DPX2 but this one definitely sounds like its moving some fluid. I'm going to go ride here in a bit at the same place as SD yesterday. If I feel it I'll push a little and see how times compare but this bike does feel fast but sure has lots of play in it too.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
We are opposite ends of the spectrum. I am running my DPX2 wide open on compression. Probably means they got the tune right for everyone else 🤣
Maybe I’m still too fat. 🤷‍♂️ Shouldn’t use full travel on a relatively slow speed trail though with nothing to flat. Moderately rocky and real steep (avg grade 20.5%) with a lot of catch berms. Max speed is low 20’s and I’m 8th overall on strava behind Shawn Neer and A couple other yeti guys. GZA in my strava link. I’m on the performance dpx2 so no LSC but I’m not interested in running it in trail mode on downhill segments. Everyone rides differently though in different areas.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
That EXT must be damn impressive because I really enjoyed my ride Sunday with my stock expert build DPX2. I'm running 15.5 maybe 15mm of sag. I am running only two clicks out on compression, so quite a lot of compression. I'm using the middle pedal mode for climbing and descending in full open.

I've never liked a DPX2 but I'm quite impressed with this unit. Also I've never heard much damping sounds from a DPX2 but this one definitely sounds like its moving some fluid. I'm going to go ride here in a bit at the same place as SD yesterday. If I feel it I'll push a little and see how times compare but this bike does feel fast but sure has lots of play in it too.
where did you ride? Interested to see how you do on the steeper stuff today. I figured somewhere like longhorn would be worse due to the increased speed and repetitive hits at speed (goat night).

in regards to the EXT I’ve never felt bottom with it. Yesterday was my first and only ride on the dpx2 and was 13 seconds off my PR. Can’t say I felt like I was going all out but definitely pushing it a bit. Are you significantly lighter than 200? We are running the same amount of sag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So folks happy with the DPX2 are on the lighter side of the spectrum? I'm 150# ready to ride.
I've been happy with it so far. Been on a lot of DPX2's but the 2021 is the best so far. However, I definitely get the impression that these guys who aren't happy with it are much more aggressive riders hitting much burlier terrain at much faster speeds.

So probably depends on what kind of rider you are more than weight. For reference I"m 190 geared, running 280 psi according to my crappy analog shock pump, for 15mm sag exactly, open position, rebound 4 clicks from closed. Still dialing low speed compression. Have bottomed out twice on big g-outs that I recognized but so far I'm not hitting drops bigger then 3 ft or so and mostly jumping off roots/rocks on the trail.

Had an EXT on an Enduro before. That thing just flattened the trails completely so this has been a nice change.

741 - 760 of 1282 Posts