Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2541 - 2560 of 2832 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Excellent nice one for that, sounds very promising given you feel identical about the dpx2 as I do I shall look forward to your thoughts on it when you have the right spring 👍 keep me posted please 🙌🏻
Yeah, the 500# spring on my EXT Storia v3 is a game-changer on top of the damper already being a game-changer over the dpx2. I spent the better part of a day bracket testing all the setting on the shock with the sag set at 30% --I ride flat pedals on some pretty rough trails so EXT recommends 30% sag. I have the 500# spring preload set at just enough to keep it from rattling, so I can add more preload/less sag and do additional testing. I have my S3 set in the lowest, slackest mode and didn't get any pedal strikes with 165mm cranks so I don't see a reason to run less sag.

I'm not going to bias any future Storia owner with my own settings but, relative to the "middle" setting ...HSC is slightly higher, LSC is lower, Rebound I forget, but I think about in the middle. Btw, get the Storia pocket tool because it beats the hell out of carrying around a 12/14? wrench. I actually got two ...one for the SWAT box and one to carry in my pocket so I can make adjustments with making my homies wait on me.

I posted before about the traction and pedalling performance, so I will just add that the HSB is the real deal. When I send the shock in for service, I will likely have them bump it up just a hair but man does that smooth out those big landings ...although it is honestly hard to tell if I really bottomed or not. There are two spots where I will pretty much bottom anything I'm riding, so I'm pretty sure I did ...anyway ...I typically have kind of a "is the bike recomposed (backwheel solidly on the ground) and I can start focusing on the turn into the following step up?" moments. The Storia erased that typical worry.

I typically start dialing in a new bike by setting it up for urban free-ride and then move off road. Weird, I know, but my goal is to find the upper boundary of stiffness for all-out 3 minute runs. From there, I will have a few setups for different types of rides. I skipped that urban test with this shock because I went immediately to Angel Fire ...so more testing to come.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I steadily lose weight over the summer and as such make adjustments to my suspension periodically. Dropped the sag on my stock DPX2 1-1.5mm, man did that make a big difference. Didn't take much psi to achieve that either.

My last three or so bikes I've owned have been pretty insignificant in that regard. +/- 10-15 psi had little effect on overall sag or how it rode while the stumpy seems super sensitive to that change.

That netted more traction, more pop, and definitely more pedal strikes. Another thing I'm noticing with this bike is how the fork and shock drive each other. A lot less pressure through the bars for dropping it what seems like an insignificant amount. Easier to drive the rear sus through the hips, too. Just over maybe 40 miles this weekend and re-adapted to the pedal strikes already.

This bike does lots of things very very well. Still Enduro curious though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This bike does lots of things very very well. Still Enduro curious though.

I sold a 2020 Enduro to get the 2021 Stumpy Evo. I have had pretty much every Enduro and Stumpy made since 2014. The 2021 SJ Evo is probably the best all-around for the type of riding i do. If I could do it over, I might have kept the 2020 Enduro and add a non-Evo Stumpy to the mix because I feel like I could make the regular Stumpy work on just about any trail and there a certain rides where I wish I had just that little bit more that the Enduro gives. Then again, maybe a single-crown Demo is where it is at?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Yeah, the 500# spring on my EXT Storia v3 is a game-changer on top of the damper already being a game-changer over the dpx2. I spent the better part of a day bracket testing all the setting on the shock with the sag set at 30% --I ride flat pedals on some pretty rough trails so EXT recommends 30% sag. I have the 500# spring preload set at just enough to keep it from rattling, so I can add more preload/less sag and do additional testing. I have my S3 set in the lowest, slackest mode and didn't get any pedal strikes with 165mm cranks so I don't see a reason to run less sag.

I'm not going to bias any future Storia owner with my own settings but, relative to the "middle" setting ...HSC is slightly higher, LSC is lower, Rebound I forget, but I think about in the middle. Btw, get the Storia pocket tool because it beats the hell out of carrying around a 12/14? wrench. I actually got two ...one for the SWAT box and one to carry in my pocket so I can make adjustments with making my homies wait on me.

I posted before about the traction and pedalling performance, so I will just add that the HSB is the real deal. When I send the shock in for service, I will likely have them bump it up just a hair but man does that smooth out those big landings ...although it is honestly hard to tell if I really bottomed or not. There are two spots where I will pretty much bottom anything I'm riding, so I'm pretty sure I did ...anyway ...I typically have kind of a "is the bike recomposed (backwheel solidly on the ground) and I can start focusing on the turn into the following step up?" moments. The Storia erased that typical worry.

I typically start dialing in a new bike by setting it up for urban free-ride and then move off road. Weird, I know, but my goal is to find the upper boundary of stiffness for all-out 3 minute runs. From there, I will have a few setups for different types of rides. I skipped that urban test with this shock because I went immediately to Angel Fire ...so more testing to come.
I had my EXT revalved softer and I went from using 100% of the travel all of the time to not bring able to even touch the final 40% travel.
At first I thought it was me because I'm not riding too much and maybe I just hadn't hit anything real hard and I thought maybe it was a slightly stiffer spring I installed but now I'm starting to really wonder if something's broken inside.
I went ahead and mounted my old spring which gives me 18 mm of sag which in the past was way too much. And I'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my guard installed tonight. I was in a hurry so I didn't heat it up in water but it actually fits pretty well.

I did have to drill out the holes a bit to get things to line up. I also had to flip the upper nut in the swat box upside down to get the screw to actually tighten down.

Second picture is to show the gaps from up top. I may go back and heat it up in water and re-fit again but I don't think it's going to change things too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,546 ·
Question for the air shock users (DPX2 or X2), do you check air pressure before every ride. Reason I ask, up until about two months ago I would check my pressure about once every six months. I did notice that I had days when I felt great on the bike and other days when I felt really off. Couldn't put my finger on it, but just getting kicked around and couldn't get the bike to lean into the corners.

For whatever reason I decided to check my pressure on a mid day ride and compare it to an early morning ride. Ambient temps were about 20 degrees apart and I was shocked to see a difference of 8-10 psi in the rear shock and 2-3 psi in the fork based on temperature. Both were checked at the trailhead before riding and I always pressurize the pump to the last pressure set prior to the pump engaging the air valve. Everything is set with a Fox digital pump. Turns out I was probably feeling the difference in air pressures in my suspension. Now the bike feels much more consistent and I don't have any of the challenges with turn in or feel in the rocks.

Really curious if anyone else has tried this or thought about it?

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,547 ·
I sold a 2020 Enduro to get the 2021 Stumpy Evo. I have had pretty much every Enduro and Stumpy made since 2014. The 2021 SJ Evo is probably the best all-around for the type of riding i do. If I could do it over, I might have kept the 2020 Enduro and add a non-Evo Stumpy to the mix because I feel like I could make the regular Stumpy work on just about any trail and there a certain rides where I wish I had just that little bit more that the Enduro gives. Then again, maybe a single-crown Demo is where it is at?
After having both setups with the Enduro (Evo and standard SJ), the Evo is an outstanding single bike solution. If you have the means, the SJ/Enduro set is even better though. The standard SJ is so capable in the latest iteration, it is only on the roughest trails where the Enduro pulls away.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I don't check pressure every ride but I check sag with a digital caliper fairly regularly. I reckon on the issue of ambient temperature, that could be hard to pin down. Mainly because they'll heat up with use, including oil viscosity etc. I start to notice a difference in performance with ambient temperature right around 50° and under. Temps in Oregon typically stay pretty consistent through the summer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Question for the air shock users (DPX2 or X2), do you check air pressure before every ride. Reason I ask, up until about two months ago I would check my pressure about once every six months. I did notice that I had days when I felt great on the bike and other days when I felt really off. Couldn't put my finger on it, but just getting kicked around and couldn't get the bike to lean into the corners.

For whatever reason I decided to check my pressure on a mid day ride and compare it to an early morning ride. Ambient temps were about 20 degrees apart and I was shocked to see a difference of 8-10 psi in the rear shock and 2-3 psi in the fork based on temperature. Both were checked at the trailhead before riding and I always pressurize the pump to the last pressure set prior to the pump engaging the air valve. Everything is set with a Fox digital pump. Turns out I was probably feeling the difference in air pressures in my suspension. Now the bike feels much more consistent and I don't have any of the challenges with turn in or feel in the rocks.

Really curious if anyone else has tried this or thought about it?
I check shock and fork before every ride (tire pressure too). Only takes a sec...

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Salespunk's point is that the pressure even changes throughout his ride. Most of that coming from the suspension heating up due to use I'd think.

The rule of thumb is that 10' Fahrenheit results in a 2% volume change which equals a 2% pressure change.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea I noticed taht on my Demo in the bikepark...by the time you got to the bottom from Garbo shock would be hot to the touch and feel like ****.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Salespunk's point is that the pressure even changes throughout his ride. Most of that coming from the suspension heating up due to use I'd think.

The rule of thumb is that 10' Fahrenheit results in a 2% volume change which equals a 2% pressure change.
Nice heuristic. I guess that the 10' F can be atmospheric or internal to the shock through use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I check shock and fork before every ride (tire pressure too). Only takes a sec...
What he says ☝🏼.

Hey fellas. I’m brand new here. Loving my 21 stumpy evo.
Up until not long ago I was rocking a 21 mayhem 150 with x2 factory shock and I used to check air pressure before every ride “I ride once or twice a week” needless to say sometimes air pressure was right on point and sometimes I needed to pump it up a bit to reach the desired air pressure!
I know it might sound like a hassle to do it every time you ride but it sure helps with suspension consistency 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
740 Posts
PV=nRT (ideal gas law)
Pressure goes up linearly with temperature. Atmospheric temp matters but the frame of reference is the shock or fork so as it heats up with use, pressure will go up even on cool days.

That said, I'm a set and forget guy with my suspension. However the Evo is very sensitive to changes I find so I might have to start checking shock pressure more often.

I check my tire pressures religiously before every ride and will bring my digital gauge along with me for races and check before every stage. Can be big swings in the mountains going from cool mornings to the heat of the day.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,556 ·
Yes, it definitely changes as you ride and things heat up from friction. I have found a big difference in feel from the the starting point which will also affect the peak when things heat up.

·
Class Clown
3,347 Posts
Do you notice much change when checking suspension pressure before rides? I usually check tires but suspension not so much.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,558 ·
Do you notice much change when checking suspension pressure before rides? I usually check tires but suspension not so much.
I have seen variances as much as 10 psi for 195-210 psi start points on my bikes. Most times it is off at least 2-4 psi which sounds small, but is still noticeable.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Honeymoon period has not faded, even slightly. I just swapped the XTR shifter/derailleur over from my other bike. Big improvement in shifting but I’m getting so much more chain slap. B-screw is correct. Might be able to remove a chain link but it would be close. I can also feel the chain growth, caused by suspension, yanking on the clutch. I honestly might have to switch back to sram because it’s pretty annoying. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love my 2021 x01 rear mech and xx1 shifter combo it’s much much much better than the first generation x01 eagle IMO don’t know what they’ve done to it but it’s defo more crisp shifting and seems a bit quieter…I used to use shimano a lot but see it as a downgrade personally over the newest sram stuff I think my temporary 2021 eagle gx mech felt better than my xtr 12 speed

chain slap isn’t much of a issue if it’s all setup right on sram, I found worn chains make a hell of a lot more noise than new ones do for obvious reasons, but when I put a new chain on it’s almost silent, the bikes a very very quiet bike all round so it stands out more, maybe try one of those STFU chain tamer things, supposed to work well but personally I don’t get that much and I ride a lot of rocky rough stuff also

As for the bike there is no honeymoon period it’s just insanely good and no matter what they do next or who brings what out, it will still be an incredible bike, it’s got to be one of the best all round bikes ever created, I’ve just gone back to 64.5 from 65.5 headeset as a test in high and it really is noticeable how much more composed it is just by shifting the headset cup, a real jack of all trades bike, so so so impressed with everything about it bar the lack of carbon layup on the down tube, massive flaw I feel and it’s a big complaint but other than that and how the bike rides it’s by far and a country mile better than anything else I’ve ever ridden/owned

2541 - 2560 of 2832 Posts