Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2061 - 2080 of 2560 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, I guess you didn't see the picture I posted from the manual. Haha. You have an inside banjo.

Just found the screw and it is a M4 flathead 12mm length, aluminum screw.
Thanks for the info!

I did see the picture you provided but didn’t read the text as I assumed it was the same as what I read. Interesting that it is different from my manual. The one that came with my bike doesn’t reference inside vs outside banjo, it just says “shimano only”

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,062 ·
The manual says it’s only needed on Shimano brakes, which is what I have. Need to head by the shop next week anyway so will see if they can find a match. Thanks though :)
I have been running Saints across 3 Evo's without the guide since 2019. No issues!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I decided to get the tune of my Ohlins coil adjusted and put on my freshly serviced DVO Topaz temporarily. Mid-way through my ride the shock is blown. I removed the air can and the finish on one side of the damper shaft is completely worn off with considerable scoring. I know three other people who had blown shocks (DVO, Fox X2, and DPX2) on Stumpjumper Evos in the past year. Specialized really needs to figure out how to reduce the side loading the shocks receive on future frames.
I think this callout is meant to reduce side loading. It's worth noting but I don't know if it's related to your issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the super deluxe is exactly what you’re looking for. Find one with the M/M tune. As an everyday trail bike it felt perfect, only letting me down at all out race pace. Ride the stock link or even the mullet link with 29” wheel if you want more BB height. They both feel equally good.
Do you know how much the mullet link will raise the BB if you stay with a 29" wheel?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, actually making some progress with the DPX2 and cascade. Pumped up the shock to 300psi (14mm sag) and slowed the rebound down from 5 to 3 from closed. 8 clicks Lsc from closed. Parking lot test was decent. Shock not nearly as bouncy mashing on the pedals. True test will be riding this weekend. We’ll see.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you know how much the mullet link will raise the BB if you stay with a 29" wheel?
12.5mm giving a BB height of 352.5mm and steepens the HA by 1deg to 65.5 in middle HA setting. Running it in low position with the mullet/29 gives 345.5mm BB height and bumps HA to 65 in neutral position, which seems more reasonable. These numbers are with the stock 160mm fox 36. The Megatower only changes BB height 3mm from low to high position (340 to 343mm), just as a reference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
12.5mm giving a BB height of 352.5mm and steepens the HA by 1deg to 65.5 in middle HA setting. Running it in low position with the mullet/29 gives 345.5mm BB height and bumps HA to 65 in neutral position, which seems more reasonable. These numbers are with the stock 160mm fox 36. The Megatower only changes BB height 3mm from low to high position (340 to 343mm), just as a reference.
Awesome, thank you

·
mtbr super member
54 Posts
For a 1 year old bike it doesn’t seem to be aging well with concerns around cracked down tubes and side load on shocks. I’m sure the issues discovered are a small percentage of the total 2021 Evo bikes out there. I wonder if these are design flaws or just flukes. Hopefully flukes since I was intending this bike to last years of abuse. Nonetheless, it is discouraging for those dealing with problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Anyone running a Ohlins TX22 coil with or without the cascasde link? Curious to hear any feedback.
I've been running an Ohlins coil on my bike for a while now and I love it. The coil rides considerably better with the Cascade link. The downside is the Cascade link will require a stronger and heavier spring. I'm about 200lbs and use a 670lb spring. If you're much over 200lbs you're probably going to have issues finding a spring strong enough for you. Lastly, if you're on the heavier side you may need to get the rebound tune adjusted. The stock tune didn't have enough rebound damping for me.

The TTX22m is one of the best coil option for this bike from a durability standpoint. The shock has a very strong seal head and thick steel shaft. One thing you need to consider is the Stumpjumper Evo's suspension design tends to put considerable side loading on shocks (this is not a new thing for Specialized). I was just at my local suspension tuner yesterday and he had a Super Deluxe coil laying on his bench with a broken damper shaft. I asked what bike it came from and it was a Stumpjumper Evo.

With all that said, the Ohlins TTX22m is an excellent and highly tunable shock. I'll probably continue to run them on my next bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For a 1 year old bike it doesn’t seem to be aging well with concerns around cracked down tubes and side load on shocks. I’m sure the issues discovered are a small percentage of the total 2021 Evo bikes out there. I wonder if these are design flaws or just flukes. Hopefully flukes since I was intending this bike to last years of abuse. Nonetheless, it is discouraging for those dealing with problems.
I haven't seen enough broken bikes to be too concerned. There have been a few (three?) in this thread but it's hard to really know what they did to the bike. At least one looked like they dropped a hammer on it.

As far as the side loading is concerned, it's been a Specialized trademark since at least 2015 or longer. The old Enduro and Stumpjumper were notorious for blowing shocks. It's a bit better now that they ditched the proprietary shock attachment. I don't know why Specialized hasn't addressed the problem considering their massive R and D budget. It's a very well known issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most of the failures are in the area near the swat. The cutout for the swat certainly demands some design compromises to be made. The real problem is Specialized not warrantying these failures. So I guess it comes down to how much you like the swat and if you are willing to pay for front triangles from time to time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, after 6+ weeks after order, my EXT Storia has finally shipped. Hopefully I’ll have a ride report by mid next week. I also hope I’m not about to embark on 2 more months of f***ing with it to get it set up right like some folks here!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Well, after 6+ weeks after order, my EXT Storia has finally shipped. Hopefully I’ll have a ride report by mid next week. I also hope I’m not about to embark on 2 more months of f***ing with it to get it set up right like some folks here!
What size Evo, what's your weight, which link?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
S6, 200lbs, cascade link. They’re sending it with a 650 lb spring and a 610-695 sprindex. I’m hoping the regular spring does it but the sprindex will help me dial it in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
S6, 200lbs, cascade link. They’re sending it with a 650 lb spring and a 610-695 sprindex. I’m hoping the regular spring does it but the sprindex will help me dial it in.
I'm about 200lbs and I'm on an S5 using a 670lb spring with Cascade link. The 650 spring might be a little too soft for you but that Sprindex should get you sorted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone ran a DVO jade x with their progressive spring (575-700lb)?

Wondering if the progressive spring would be enough for a 200lb rider with the stock link or if in would need the cascade link too

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
You'll need in the 670-690# spring rate range.
The Springdex is awesome btw.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

2061 - 2080 of 2560 Posts