Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2041 - 2060 of 2560 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Need some advice. 195lbs geared. Story goes: Was running through the travel on this thing quite a bit on aggressive XC trails but just blew right through it on any downhill chunk. Was running 30% sag at 260 psi. Wanted to try another shock (TTX or Super deluxe air) but couldn't find one. Went with the Cascade link and am running at 280psi standard spacer DPX2 no low speed compression(exactly 15mm at the shock) . Now bike for me uses its travel pretty appropriately. Only one bottom out in several rides on a massive compression. So happy there. Only issue is that mashing pedals out of the saddle the bike now bobs like crazy. I don't remember it doing that with standard link. Bobs pretty aggressively even with low speed compression fully closed. I don't race so I suppose I can live with it. Still bothering me though. But options seem limited. Could run higher pressure and not worry about small bump compliance, could try a different shock w/ the standard link , could try a different shock with this link. Anyone on the cascade that is running an air shock who figured this one out?
I run 3 clicks of Low Speed on the DPX2 and seems to be pretty good all around, Fully open doesnt always mean better performance. Bike actually stays out of holes more when you add a little support.

I also find with this bike its pretty sensitive to air pressure, 5 psi extra can make it feel much better while climbing and or downhill too. I am running 14-15mm of sag and it seems great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Need some advice. 195lbs geared. Story goes: Was running through the travel on this thing quite a bit on aggressive XC trails but just blew right through it on any downhill chunk. Was running 30% sag at 260 psi. Wanted to try another shock (TTX or Super deluxe air) but couldn't find one. Went with the Cascade link and am running at 280psi standard spacer DPX2 no low speed compression(exactly 15mm at the shock) . Now bike for me uses its travel pretty appropriately. Only one bottom out in several rides on a massive compression. So happy there. Only issue is that mashing pedals out of the saddle the bike now bobs like crazy. I don't remember it doing that with standard link. Bobs pretty aggressively even with low speed compression fully closed. I don't race so I suppose I can live with it. Still bothering me though. But options seem limited. Could run higher pressure and not worry about small bump compliance, could try a different shock w/ the standard link , could try a different shock with this link. Anyone on the cascade that is running an air shock who figured this one out?
Another vote to add more compression damping. How does it feel if you run the DPX2 in the middle,"trail" mode on the climb switch while descending? It might be better even, although probably not optimal. You are above the weight that I think the designers optimized for so no surprise you would need more compression. I was running just two clicks out from full compression with the stock link and it felt better. Cascade link and I needed less compression. I'm probably 175 geared up or less so different parameters.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Going to sell my EXT Storia Lok V3, its a few months old, set for the EVO and a rider between 160-170lbs.
I'll take $ 975 CDN plus shipping. PM is interested.
Thanks

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
i mentioned that above. It’s a side effect of making the leverage curve more progressive. It makes it softer off the top and definitely has more pedal bob. Don’t stand and smash, or go back to a stock link and find a M/M super deluxe and load up the volume spacers. What size chainring are you running? Keeping the anti-squat number up will help but will make descending feel worse. The cascade link definitely improves suspension feel but IMO it changes the desired character of the bike. Especially for someone our size. Someone smaller can definitely get away with it. If you aren’t racing just sit and spin and you shouldn’t notice it much. If you went to a super deluxe you could also send it to vorsprung for a tractive tune. I ended up swapping to an Enduro frame. As a race bike-
between the suspension, low BB, and flex in the frame the enduro is just the better choice for that kind of riding for anyone over 150lb.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i mentioned that above. It’s a side effect of making the leverage curve more progressive. It makes it softer off the top and definitely has more pedal bob. Don’t stand and smash, or go back to a stock link and find a M/M super deluxe and load up the volume spacers. What size chainring are you running? Keeping the anti-squat number up will help but will make descending feel worse. The cascade link definitely improves suspension feel but IMO it changes the desired character of the bike. Especially for someone our size. Someone smaller can definitely get away with it. If you aren’t racing just sit and spin and you shouldn’t notice it much. If you went to a super deluxe you could also send it to vorsprung for a tractive tune. I ended up swapping to an Enduro frame. As a race bike-
between the suspension, low BB, and flex in the frame the enduro is just the better choice for that kind of riding for anyone over 150lb.
Running a 32t chain ring. Appreciate the comments re: the Enduro. I actually did have an Enduro but being considerably less aggressive then an enduro racer I think I'll stick with the EVO even though in my hands it occasionally blows through its travel when you wouldn't think it would. I'm thinking I'm going to go back to the stock link and switch to the super deluxe. Based on all the comments I think that is probably going to give me what I am looking for. In the meantime I'll mess around with the compression damping and see what happens. Still, appreciate any other comments / ideas. Can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Running a 32t chain ring. Appreciate the comments re: the Enduro. I actually did have an Enduro but being considerably less aggressive then an enduro racer I think I'll stick with the EVO even though in my hands it occasionally blows through its travel when you wouldn't think it would. I'm thinking I'm going to go back to the stock link and switch to the super deluxe. Based on all the comments I think that is probably going to give me what I am looking for. In the meantime I'll mess around with the compression damping and see what happens. Still, appreciate any other comments / ideas. Can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this.
You might also want to try 25-28% sag with the Cascade link and Reg link. Specialized’s recommended 30% is only a suggested starting point, not the end all and be all setting.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Definitely try more air/less sag as well.

Meanwhile I was able to get a new Super Deluxe Ultimate and have some time on it. M/M compression/rebound tune.

I'd say it makes a very positive change, lots more traction and is considerably less harsh on square edge hits but still has a nice climbing platform. Just two rides in on it one at a local trail with hero conditions so of course it felt amazing but I do think it's a lot better, the other ride was at bike park where the bike felt quite good on the large Slopestyle lines. The DPX2 just seems to have a lot of stiction to it for what it is.

Sure the EVO is not a bare knuckled long travel bruiser but man it's so good at 99% of my riding. Definitely digging this bike.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
I think the super deluxe is exactly what you’re looking for. Find one with the M/M tune. As an everyday trail bike it felt perfect, only letting me down at all out race pace. Ride the stock link or even the mullet link with 29” wheel if you want more BB height. They both feel equally good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Definitely try more air/less sag as well.

Meanwhile I was able to get a new Super Deluxe Ultimate and have some time on it. M/M compression/rebound tune.

I'd say it makes a very positive change, lots more traction and is considerably less harsh on square edge hits but still has a nice climbing platform. Just two rides in on it one at a local trail with hero conditions so of course it felt amazing but I do think it's a lot better, the other ride was at bike park where the bike felt quite good on the large Slopestyle lines. The DPX2 just seems to have a lot of stiction to it for what it is.

Sure the EVO is not a bare knuckled long travel bruiser but man it's so good at 99% of my riding. Definitely digging this bike.
Let me know where you were able to get a hold of it. Appreciate all the input. Between what you're noticing and Streetdoctor I'm going to go stock link and super deluxe. Just need to get a hold of one. Like I said, in the meantime I'll see if I can run a bit less sag and see how that feels. I'll post after I get it and update for other folks who might have the same issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, same experience here. First, go with slightly less sag (cascade recommended 25-28% for these symptoms and says small bump is not affected). Cascade ratio is 10% higher, so maintaining sag should be 260psi moving to 286 (try 290-295 for a bit less sag as a starting point). Also, climb in trail mode. Lastly, use a 30t chainring if you are not already (this increase in anti-squat was quite noticeable). If you prefer a more linear feel but don't want to bottom, a shock like EXT with hydraulic bottom out might fit the bill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run 3 clicks of Low Speed on the DPX2 and seems to be pretty good all around, Fully open doesnt always mean better performance. Bike actually stays out of holes more when you add a little support.

I also find with this bike its pretty sensitive to air pressure, 5 psi extra can make it feel much better while climbing and or downhill too. I am running 14-15mm of sag and it seems great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m riding with the same sag as you, feel great, pedals and climbs so great (better than my fuel ex) and haven’t bottomed out just yet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
can any one point me in the direction of what foam/packing stuff they are using in the swat box to keep the noise down? obviously cant be too bulky as it needs fit stuff in, and links or pics of the stuff that has worked to include puttin the water carrier in and the tool roll without rattling/knocking

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Let me know where you were able to get a hold of it. Appreciate all the input. Between what you're noticing and Streetdoctor I'm going to go stock link and super deluxe. Just need to get a hold of one. Like I said, in the meantime I'll see if I can run a bit less sag and see how that feels. I'll post after I get it and update for other folks who might have the same issue.
I have a new take off SD off a '20 E29. Is that what you're looking for?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,055 ·
Has anyone else had to replace the bolt that secures the brake hose clip on the seat stay? Wondering if you happen to know the size? LBS isn’t sure and it’s a 45 min drive across town to have them rummage through the bolt bin to find a replacement. Just thought I’d try here first. Thanks!
I have never run the hose through there on any of my Evo's. Personally I would just remove it completely. Just rotate the hose mount downward slightly so that it is a straight line to the entry port.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Has anyone else had to replace the bolt that secures the brake hose clip on the seat stay? Wondering if you happen to know the size? LBS isn’t sure and it’s a 45 min drive across town to have them rummage through the bolt bin to find a replacement. Just thought I’d try here first. Thanks!
Yeah, not needed per the manual. I run an outside banjo with 203mm adapter and its fine without it. With an outside banjo and 180 rotor mount the seat stay can push the line into the spokes.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I don't run that clip either. I find the routing and placement of the clip awkward vs simply reorienting the banjo like Salespunk suggested. I'd rather see some kind of wedge you could cinch down at the entry port.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I decided to get the tune of my Ohlins coil adjusted and put on my freshly serviced DVO Topaz temporarily. Mid-way through my ride the shock is blown. I removed the air can and the finish on one side of the damper shaft is completely worn off with considerable scoring. I know three other people who had blown shocks (DVO, Fox X2, and DPX2) on Stumpjumper Evos in the past year. Specialized really needs to figure out how to reduce the side loading the shocks receive on future frames.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, not needed per the manual. I run an outside banjo with 203mm adapter and its fine without it. With an outside banjo and 180 rotor mount the seat stay can push the line into the spokes.

View attachment 1931183
The manual says it’s only needed on Shimano brakes, which is what I have. Need to head by the shop next week anyway so will see if they can find a match. Thanks though :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
The manual says it’s only needed on Shimano brakes, which is what I have. Need to head by the shop next week anyway so will see if they can find a match. Thanks though :)
Oh, I guess you didn't see the picture I posted from the manual. Haha. You have an inside banjo.

Just found the screw and it is a M4 flathead 12mm length, aluminum screw.

2041 - 2060 of 2560 Posts