Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2560 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I have been tinkering a bit with my EXT Arma shock and it's really dialed and hides bottom outs so well. It's sublime. But even with the Cascade installed the Hydraulic Bottomout Control has to be turned in nearly completely closed to not bottom out relatively easily.
Not the shock's fault, nature of this bike. Chassis can write checks that the rear suspension can't quite cash.
Doesn't effect my fun, speed, confidence, or anything else really (well once my ankles hurt badly the next day after some 6' drops on the DPX2).
Loving the bike/ EXT Arma/ Cascade combo but would encourage anyone to order the Arma with the HBC vs. other coil shock options if you do jumps/ drops of any substantial size.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welp, after experimenting with other shocks and I am fully back on the stock DPX2. I have no clue how it is such a good shock, i threw it on out of curiousity and re PRd all the trails I did on my coil shock.

Im getting cascade link once the Williams yoke comes out, has the overall feeing been positive with the Cascade link? If you reccomend it you can just like this post without me blowing up the forum again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Welp, after experimenting with other shocks and I am fully back on the stock DPX2. I have no clue how it is such a good shock, i threw it on out of curiousity and re PRd all the trails I did on my coil shock.

Im getting cascade link once the Williams yoke comes out, has the overall feeing been positive with the Cascade link? If you reccomend it you can just like this post without me blowing up the forum again.

The cascade link works to increase midstroke and bottom out (still not enough IMO) but it does feel much better. The downside is it's at the sacrifice of making it even more supple off the top. Some might like this, but if you stand up and pedal you're going to feel a lot more bob and less efficiency. If you sit and spin you won't notice it. Hopefully that didn't blow anything up :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any rumors or predictions on specs and changes for the 2022 models that are supposed to start landing late next month?
Stopped by a fairly big Specialized dealer today while I was out and asked if they had any Stumpy Evo Experts coming in. Guy looked through their system and said it showed them getting a 2022 Evo Expert next month and the color shows as Cast Battleship. Said he wasn't able to see the other color option, any specs, or photos (just that it's a 2022 S4 Stumpy Evo in Cast Battleship). Looks to be a color Spesh has used in the past (dark blue color).

Anyone else heard anything more from their shops? Had my deposit on a Evo Expert since October so I'm assuming my order will be a 2022 at this point.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Stopped by a fairly big Specialized dealer today while I was out and asked if they had any Stumpy Evo Experts coming in. Guy looked through their system and said it showed them getting a 2022 Evo Expert next month and the color shows as Cast Battleship. Said he wasn't able to see the other color option, any specs, or photos (just that it's a 2022 S4 Stumpy Evo in Cast Battleship). Looks to be a color Spesh has used in the past (dark blue color).

Anyone else heard anything more from their shops? Had my deposit on a Evo Expert since October so I'm assuming my order will be a 2022 at this point.

Honestly man don't wait on that order! You may not get one until 2025... Specialized is fulfilling dealer orders with no rhyme or reason. They might as well be picking them out of a hat. That's not speculation, that's straight from the mouth of an inside sales rep. When you see one in stock on the specialized website at a local dealer... go buy it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Honestly man don't wait on that order! You may not get one until 2025... Specialized is fulfilling dealer orders with no rhyme or reason. They might as well be picking them out of a hat. That's not speculation, that's straight from the mouth of an inside sales rep. When you see one in stock on the specialized website at a local dealer... go buy it!
Yeah I hear you... I've definitely seen that's the case as I've been checking the "Find Nearby" tool on Specialized's website daily. Unfortunately I already made the mistake of waiting on my order for too long and it seems the 2021 stock has dried up (at least within a reasonable driving distance to me). I'll definitely be jumping on the first available when the 2022's start rolling in hopefully sometime next month.

I have my name on the list at 2 larger dealers that I know get a lot of bikes, as well as my initial order with my smaller LBS from October. So between that and me checking daily I'm somewhat hopeful I'll find one soon...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
The cascade link works to increase midstroke and bottom out (still not enough IMO) but it does feel much better. The downside is it's at the sacrifice of making it even more supple off the top. Some might like this, but if you stand up and pedal you're going to feel a lot more bob and less efficiency. If you sit and spin you won't notice it. Hopefully that didn't blow anything up :)
I didn't have this same experience. Standing pedaling occurs in the 25% - 55% sag range and the Cascade link is MUCH more supportive in this travel range ime.
Sincerely only notice the suppleness off the top in the parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts

The DPX2 with Cascade is really good (only tried the factory with compression adjust). I'm sure they put in a lot of work dialing the tune, because I have never liked DPX2 in the past, even on my 2020 Enduro. I noticed the cascade improved the square edge hits and tracking over roots but with a slight efficiency sacrifice. It takes a bit of time adding or subtracting a few PSI to get that efficient feel while maintaining the plushness, but its sweet once you find it. I still favor the X2 because its more plush and planted through high speed chunk, but it's not as poppy or progressive as the DPX2.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I had a choice Raspberry Gold would be my choice. I love that color combination.

Secretly I want my frame to break so I can get that one..

The biggest question now is do I keep the satin raspberry Sworks / X2 frame or do I keep the Gloss smoke/tarmac frame and swap in a Super Deluxe again... I can’t say I’m sold on the red/gold.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
If I had a choice Raspberry Gold would be my choice. I love that color combination.

Secretly I want my frame to break so I can get that one..
My problem is everything on my stumpjumper is silver/black and my zeb is grey. I could pull the 38 off my ebike I guess.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,013 ·
S-Works Enduro frames are in stock and orderable online on the Spesh website. I just ordered one myself. I can't imagine they'll last too long...
shhhhhhhh
I hate you both for mentioning this. I just sold my Enduro last week and because you mentioned it I bought an SWorks Enduro Thursday. Add on my incoming Kenevo SL and it was an expensive week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sold on the S4 Enduro

Suits my style perfectly and sprints as good as, or better than the stumpy EVO with the cascade link even though the demo I rode is 3lb heavier. I think the cascade link invokes a lot of pedal bob due to the softer initial travel when pedaling hard out of the saddle.

I have the demo again tomorrow but I’m fairly confident I’ll be selling my S5 matte black stumpy EVO comp frame with cascade link and mullet link.

I broke a couple burly climbing PR’s by over an average of 1mph over 1000’ of climbing. Segments I’ve ridden over 30 times on multiple bikes. I never touched the climb switch. Downhill segments I was about 10 seconds off my PR’s (mostly set on a scott ransom) but only 20 seconds behind Shawn Neer today. Not bad for a demo bike. The biggest thing I’ve noticed in comparing the two bikes is how much more stiff the Enduro frame is. I notice it in climbing and descending. I used full travel on the Enduro but the X2 had zero volume spacers in it. That was also on a lap where I broke 30mph at White Ranch (for the Denver locals). I generally hate the X2 on every bike I’ve ever ridden it on so that’s not too surprising. I’ve put max volume spacers in it for tomorrow. The back end of the enduro rode way higher than the stumpy evo at speed as well. It really felt quite amazing. I think the rebound tune on the stock X2 is very fast which is kinda weird but seemed to work... The bike is also definitely a pig. With flat pedals an S4 expert weighs 36.6. I think my personal build would be about a pound lighter.

The biggest question now is do I keep the satin raspberry Sworks / X2 frame or do I keep the Gloss smoke/tarmac frame and swap in a Super Deluxe again... I can’t say I’m sold on the red/gold.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a stumpy evo frame it will be available in the next couple weeks. Couple minor scratches but nothing crazy, size S5.
Nick which dealer in Denver can you demo an enduro or SJ evo from? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Nick which dealer in Denver can you demo an enduro or SJ evo from? Thanks!
Hit up the specialized experience center in boulder! You can reserve online on their website and it's way cheaper than any of the shops. They even have the new Kenevo SL.

Got more laps on the Enduro today, we're having hero dirt in Denver reminiscent of the PNW so I couldn't help myself. The bike requires you to ride it powerfully. It's playful if you can throw it around, and that definitely takes a lot more upper body english in comparison to the Stumpy EVO. I took some lines on it today (and jacked up their wheels in the process) that made me cringe, but the bike stayed super composed. Very impressive! I wish I had room to keep the stumpy evo in the stable cause it's still a really fun bike but having the epic evo, stumpy evo, and an enduro would send my wife off the deep end :ROFLMAO:. Oh ya... PR'ed more climbs today. 38 pounds with all the crap the demo center put in the swat tube and a full water bottle. I don't understand.....

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
I hate you both for mentioning this. I just sold my Enduro last week and because you mentioned it I bought an SWorks Enduro Thursday. Add on my incoming Kenevo SL and it was an expensive week.

Hahahaha at least you didn't buy TWO! They get here wednesday, depending on which color I like better in person I might swap over the X2 and carbon linkages and sell the Raspberry frame at a discount. If it doesn't sell I'll just return it. I'm hoping the Raspberry frame looks less pink and more darker red in person. I'm liking the 38 on this bike a lot more than the initial rides on it on my stumpjumper before I put mine on my E-bike. I think it's because how stiff the rest of the frame is, it feels comparable. I'm sure jealous of that Kenevo!!!! It looks amazing in person.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,018 ·
Hahahaha at least you didn't buy TWO! They get here wednesday, depending on which color I like better in person I might swap over the X2 and carbon linkages and sell the Raspberry frame at a discount. If it doesn't sell I'll just return it. I'm hoping the Raspberry frame looks less pink and more darker red in person. I'm liking the 38 on this bike a lot more than the initial rides on it on my stumpjumper before I put mine on my E-bike. I think it's because how stiff the rest of the frame is, it feels comparable. I'm sure jealous of that Kenevo!!!! It looks amazing in person.
As a side note, the standard frame is available in the grey right now as well. Might as well get 3.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
As a side note, the standard frame is available in the grey right now as well. Might as well get 3.
I have one of each coming. Thinking I can potentially sell the Sworks with aluminum link and DPX2 at a discount easier than finding an X2 in stock. Deciding on whether or not I like the X2 still. Demo had performance so no high speed adjustments... 275psi and max volume spacers felt very good. I think the factory would be even better. If it needs a tune though the super deluxe is a lot easier to do it on, or I could hit your guy up. I have a PNW trip coming up in a month I'm hoping to have it dialed for.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You got a shipping notice already? When I ordered mine there was a message saying the warehouse was facing like a two week lead time or something like that. I’m jealous!

2001 - 2020 of 2560 Posts