Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hola peeps. im tryin to make a life alterin decision on a bike. first, a little about myself. i have been ridin since november 05. at first to try out mountain bikin i got a cheap $100 walmart bike. i rode it for a couple of weeks and found out that the bike stunk and really didnt fit me. but since i got hooked on bikin, i was soon the proud owner of an 05 gary fisher marlin. which i have run the poop out of it.

i am now ready to ride a better bike. i have picked two bikes to choose from. the fat possum xt and the paragon 29'r. i dont do any big jumps, atleast not yet, but i do ride the trails as fast as i can tryin to beat my previous times. the trails are mostly singletrack up/downhill and on the weekends some harder, rockier trails where u have to carry ur bike up sometimes.

im a big guy. 6'3" 250 lbs. i spent alot of time in the gym. i just wanted some input on what u guys think about how my frame and weight would react to the fat possum's full suspension or the paragon 29 in wheels. which would probably be a better fit for me. i know the best way is to ride them but i would like to hear ur thoughts.

thanks. :D

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
thefatmonkey said:
hola peeps. im tryin to make a life alterin decision on a bike. first, a little about myself. i have been ridin since november 05. at first to try out mountain bikin i got a cheap $100 walmart bike. i rode it for a couple of weeks and found out that the bike stunk and really didnt fit me. but since i got hooked on bikin, i was soon the proud owner of an 05 gary fisher marlin. which i have run the poop out of it.

i am now ready to ride a better bike. i have picked two bikes to choose from. the fat possum xt and the paragon 29'r. i dont do any big jumps, atleast not yet, but i do ride the trails as fast as i can tryin to beat my previous times. the trails are mostly singletrack up/downhill and on the weekends some harder, rockier trails where u have to carry ur bike up sometimes.

im a big guy. 6'3" 250 lbs. i spent alot of time in the gym. i just wanted some input on what u guys think about how my frame and weight would react to the fat possum's full suspension or the paragon 29 in wheels. which would probably be a better fit for me. i know the best way is to ride them but i would like to hear ur thoughts.

thanks. :D
Are you only looking at Fishers?

If so, the Fat Possum is an epic back country (all mountain) bike which doesn't sound exactly like what you are doing on the weekends from your description, but in spite of that and say that it is - why not consider a full suspension 29"er in the same price category as the Fat Possum? Sure, the Paragon would be a fine choice, but if you are flipping the coin between suspension 26" and hardtail 29" - look at the 29" full suspensions as well. The SuperCaliber and the Sugar 293 are in the same price category (actually a little cheaper) as the Fat Possum and would give you plenty of squish for your size and type of riding.

Plenty of other full suspension choices out there from Lenz, Ventana, Van Dessel, Titus, etc...

BB

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mward said:
Yes 29er. I'm the same size, ride 29er, chased by hordes of horny women 24/7 because of it. Life altering, yes. And it makes your wang bigger.
Not that any of us that are 6'3" with big hands and feet really need that last alteration.:D :cool:

BB

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Im the same size as you...

and i would go for the 29er, but that's me. I would stay hardtail for now, being a new rider you'll benefit skill wise more riding a hardtail. Once you've honed your skill's somewhat then if you want a fs bike, by all means get one. your foundation will be stronger and you'll be a better rider no matter what your riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet! anythin that make my wang bigger has got to be good. haha

i have considered the sugar and even the cake 2 dlx. the only thing that keeps me away from them is the carbon fiber rear end. i have crashed a few times already while takin corners too fast and the last thing i need is for the carbon fiber rear to hit a nice sharp rock and crack.

the reason im stickin to fisher is cuz my LBS has been really good with repairs and any adjustments needed to my ride. and since my marlin has been good to me im bein loyal to the brand for now. but then again, if there are any full susp 29'rs out there within the price range im willin to take a look.

i have been ridin for less than a year and i know that my ridin will progressively get harder and more technical. so im lookin for a "future-proof" bike that will take the poundin of my weight and the trail.

:D

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
thefatmonkey said:
sweet! anythin that make my wang bigger has got to be good. haha

i have considered the sugar and even the cake 2 dlx. the only thing that keeps me away from them is the carbon fiber rear end. i have crashed a few times already while takin corners too fast and the last thing i need is for the carbon fiber rear to hit a nice sharp rock and crack.

the reason im stickin to fisher is cuz my LBS has been really good with repairs and any adjustments needed to my ride. and since my marlin has been good to me im bein loyal to the brand for now. but then again, if there are any full susp 29'rs out there within the price range im willin to take a look.

i have been ridin for less than a year and i know that my ridin will progressively get harder and more technical. so im lookin for a "future-proof" bike that will take the poundin of my weight and the trail.

:D
Understand the loyalty part of the equation, but as a big boy Clyde - take a look at these two big boy all mountain 29"er bikes:

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elcapitan.html
http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html

I think they would serve you well in terms of brawn and performance for the type of riding you describe for a few seasons.

BB

·
Registered
54 Posts
fat possum blows! super flexy rear end. check out the raceday if you want a FS 29er from fisher. only like 3 or 4 inches, but with the big wheels, it should be enough.

adios

1 - 9 of 9 Posts