Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to by an entry level bike, and I've narrowed my search down to a few selections. I'd appreciate any and all input. I'll list them below along w/ prices.

1. 2009 Cannondale F5 ($560 + tax)
2. 2009 Trek 4500 ($560 + tax)
3. 2010 Motobecane 700HT ($500)
4. 2008 Kona Blast (~$500) *used

Opinions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
My opinion...

4zilch said:
I'm looking to by an entry level bike, and I've narrowed my search down to a few selections. I'd appreciate any and all input. I'll list them below along w/ prices.

1. 2009 Cannondale F5 ($560 + tax)
2. 2009 Trek 4500 ($560 + tax)
3. 2010 Motobecane 700HT ($500)
4. 2008 Kona Blast (~$500) *used

Opinions are welcome. Thanks!
My opinion is that you should ride all the bikes you're considering and select the one that feels best to you.

Frame fit is the most important part of buying a new bike.

·
Getaway Cycle Center
180 Posts
Check out the Jamis Trail X3 for that price range. You will find a better componet package. Also agree strongly with Ken, fit is ut-most importance. Make sure they dont sell you something because it is on their floor and a great deal.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Ken in KC said:
My opinion is that you should ride all the bikes you're considering and select the one that feels best to you.

Frame fit is the most important part of buying a new bike.
Kinda hard to do with the Motobecane unless you know someone with that brand in the size of frame you want to buy. So, you really only have 3 bikes that you can follow Ken's advice on (which I agree with for a first time mtb buyer or someone looking to get back into the sport since things have changed considerably over the last few years) IMO, $500 is a bit too much for the Kona, a bike that retailed new for around $650. On sale, they were likely in the low-to-mid $500s--unless the owner bought it, took it home and parked it--even then it seems too much for pre-owned.

Dave

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yep, test ride as many as you can. Also, test ride bikes one pricing bracket above the price range you're looking at. That way you'll get a feel for what the next level will get you and if you need to save up for a few more weeks. Take a look at the 2009 bikes that are still left. You should be able to get a better deal on those.

Main thing, buy the bike you really like to ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice and confirming my concerns on the Kona - I felt like it was too much to pay for a used bike, but I'm still getting a feel for what they should be going for.

I'm probably going to end up staying away from the motobecane partly because I won't be able to ride it before testing, and secondly I'm already ticked off at bikesdirect.

I asked them a question about availability of the fantom trail and instead of answering my question they sent me an email telling me they've added me to their newsletter so I can receive updates....

I've got a couple of LBS's to visit this and I'm hoping I come across a GT Avalanche, which is what I rode back in the day and always liked the way it fit until I smashed the front fork into the downtube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.