Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I currently have a 01' Specialized Stumpjumper...planning on making the jump to full suspension. I have tested several bikes in the past few weeks and really like the Titus Racer X. This would be a big investment and I'm wanting to know if any women out there have one, what they think, etc. I know that the XS only has 80mm travel in front and wonder if this is a problem. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm about 5'2 and weigh in about 130. Thanks!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
well... how does it feel? Does it feel just right? :D

As for travel, I ride have 80mm on the front, and for me it's just fine: I do almost technical single track, and my idea of "big air" is about 18". Unless you have dreams of ramps, jumps and DH style ridiing, 80 mm ought to be enough... I"m 5'3 129.

formica

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Red said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I currently have a 01' Specialized Stumpjumper...planning on making the jump to full suspension. I have tested several bikes in the past few weeks and really like the Titus Racer X. This would be a big investment and I'm wanting to know if any women out there have one, what they think, etc. I know that the XS only has 80mm travel in front and wonder if this is a problem. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm about 5'2 and weigh in about 130. Thanks!
Don't think the 80mm travel is going to be a problem unless you're planning on some big hucks. They are likely using the 80mm fork to keep the standover height reasonable four you little people. ;) My GF is only 4'10" and she was looking at Titus also since they are one of the few that actually build an XS full suspension bike. Will the dealer allow you to demo a bike? You might contact Titus and ask them if they are going to be at any events near you where you might be able to demo an XS frame.

Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Red?

Red said:
Hi Red,
There used to be a woman that posted on the old MTBR site that used that handle. But I guess she didn't register her handle on this new site. Anyway, welcome.

I'm a wee bit shorter than you and ride the XX-Small (yea, that's two X's) Racer-X, with "only 80mm travel in front". I ride fairly technical trails, and find that the stability of the Racer-X is such a great advantage for me in the techie stuff, and is certainly a significant part of the equation for my style of riding. The problem is that this stability comes from a really low bottom bracket which can get in the way at times. (I'm missing 1/2 of the teeth on my big ring.)

In general, I'd ask a question or two back to you, what kind of trails do you want to ride this bike on? Why do you think you might want more than 80mm of travel? What kind of riding do you enjoy the most?

The Racer-X has been good to me...

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks...

FreeRangeChicken said:
Ssssuuuuu-weeeeet pic, Gnarlene!

;)

Where is that?
That's "The Waterfall" on National Trail, South Mountain, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The park is in the city limits of Phoenix, which is why we feel rather blessed here.

That section tends to be a highlight of Spring Flings. I believe Pete even did a bloopers video of it.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Gnarlene said:
That's "The Waterfall" on National Trail, South Mountain, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The park is in the city limits of Phoenix, which is why we feel rather blessed here.

That section tends to be a highlight of Spring Flings. I believe Pete even did a bloopers video of it.
I believe that was the scene of the ZonicMan "Lord of the Dance" photo, wasn't it. That was an internet sensation. Zonic was a great sport about it too.

It's really great to see girls that are into riding technical stuff. I've been working with my GF. I love watching her get btter and better.

We're blessed with some really nice techy trails around Boulder here too. I love riding rocks. Here's one of my fav's in Moab... Porcupine Rim. The picture doesn't do this justice.

Attachments

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Gnarlene said:
Zonic went dancing on "The Stairs" on Milagrosa.

Here's me at pretty much the same spot as Zonic's dance. (I crashed right after the picture was taken, but after many tries I did eventually make it through this mess that day...)
ok, while we are posting pics of what girls ride with 80 mm of travel...

this doesn't have "stairs" like the waterfall but it was still pretty cool...
~formica

·
Registered
145 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
IIt's really great to see girls that are into riding technical stuff. I've been working with my GF. I love watching her get btter and better.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention, the woman that used to post as "red" on MTBR teaches mountain biking clinics for women. She's mainly based at the 'Shore, but she travels around.

I haven't had the fortune to take a class from her, but just riding with other grrls that are very accomplished technical riders (like "red"), rubs off on ya'. If you GF wants to improve her technical skills, she might want to try one of those women's clinics. If I ever get an adequate amount of vacation time, I will certainly check out one of those clinics. Everything I've heard about those clinics sounds really great, and it just so happens that women many times learn better from other women.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yea, but....

That has the look of slippery and wet, along with crazy steep. Being a desert rat, used to perfect traction at all times, I'd kill myself for sure on a section like that!

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
formica said:
ok, while we are posting pics of what girls ride with 80 mm of travel...

this doesn't have "stairs" like the waterfall but it was still pretty cool...
~formica
Nice, Formica. Like Gnarlene said, looks wet and slick.

Looks like a fun section. Where dat?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Get out of here!

Gnarlene said:
Hi Red,
The Racer-X has been good to me...
Gnarlene,

Do you seriously clean the Waterfall on an XS Titus Racer X? That isn't a Photoshop image all smoke and mirrors?

And the Stairs on La Milagrosa? I can't do that section on a 6 inch travel free-ride bike!

If so, you are Da Woman!

John W.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
Nice, Formica. Like Gnarlene said, looks wet and slick.

Looks like a fun section. Where dat?
Come to think of it, it had poured the night before, forgot about that. That's up in Rossland. I'll second the comment on women's clinics, I've gone two years and it's the best $$ I''ve spent on myself for biking, besides my bike :cool:
formica

same place, day before: I couldn't ride the stunts up there for sh*t, but I had fun on the rocks..

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
papajohn said:
Gnarlene,

Do you seriously clean the Waterfall on an XS Titus Racer X? That isn't a Photoshop image all smoke and mirrors?

And the Stairs on La Milagrosa? I can't do that section on a 6 inch travel free-ride bike!

If so, you are Da Woman!

John W.
sometimes I am convinced it's not about the travel, but about choosing your line, finesse, balance, timing, and not thinking about it too much...

formica

·
Registered
691 Posts
Then I'm Hopeless!

formica said:
sometimes I am convinced it's not about the travel, but about choosing your line, finesse, balance, timing, and not thinking about it too much...

formica
That's a tall order. That would mean I should stop searching for the perfect bike that will suddenly make me the rider I have always dreamed of being. :D

I assume there are clinics for men such as the ones you are talking about. Maybe that is where I should invest my effort.

John W.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
papajohn said:
That's a tall order. That would mean I should stop searching for the perfect bike that will suddenly make me the rider I have always dreamed of being. :D

I assume there are clinics for men such as the ones you are talking about. Maybe that is where I should invest my effort.

John W.
www.devineride.com up in British Columbia does Coed, and I think there are others up there too.. The coaches are funny, they say the guys with big egos never come to camps 'cuz they think they know it all already!

formica

·
Registered
691 Posts
formica said:
www.devineride.com up in British Columbia does Coed, and I think there are others up there too.. The coaches are funny, they say the guys with big egos never come to camps 'cuz they know it all already!

formica
Thanks for the link. That looks really interesting. I really must do some online research to see if I can find anything closer to Arizona though. BC is a long drive!

I'm not the best person to assess the size of my ego, but I freely admit I have MUCH to learn and am willing to be taught, by a woman or man.

John W.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Gnarlene said:
Oh yea, I forgot to mention, the woman that used to post as "red" on MTBR teaches mountain biking clinics for women. She's mainly based at the 'Shore, but she travels around.

I haven't had the fortune to take a class from her, but just riding with other grrls that are very accomplished technical riders (like "red"), rubs off on ya'. If you GF wants to improve her technical skills, she might want to try one of those women's clinics. If I ever get an adequate amount of vacation time, I will certainly check out one of those clinics. Everything I've heard about those clinics sounds really great, and it just so happens that women many times learn better from other women.....
She's done a few clinics around here. I've pretty much become her private instructor (and I'm not even getting paid for it :mad: ). We try to go out to the "rock garden" at our favorite local trail every week specifically to work on various skills. She's come so far.... it's cool to watch her progress.

Yeah, I've heard the "girls learning from girls" thing and I think there may be some truth to that, but I can't get 100% behind it. I'm a pretty patient person and I relate very well to women, IMHO. My six sisters made sure of that. I think it depends on the individuals and the egos involved on both sides, student and teacher. I tried to volunteer(as in free of charge) to assist with a prominant female clinic in this area and got the same line from them. They didn't even bother to check out whether I had anything beneficial to offer. I love teaching people this stuff. Oh well, maybe I'll get a sex change so I can teach. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts