Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picking out a bike thing is a mother!:madman:

With the wild haired idea of getting a MTB...starting with the Specialized family...I was steered towards a less "bike box" bike and decidied on the KONA CALDERA - I couldn't find one within 75mi to take a ride on - I then moved on to the Fisher family and same thing...nothing in the area - Screw it...I'm going back to a Specialized I said and made a run to a Specialized strong store...of course they had everything in multiple makes AND in multiple sizes - As I was looking at hardtails I realized that for a few hundred more I can move to a full-suspension - I see that's how the companies get you..."well for a few hundred more you can this" - I'm getting all kinds of talk about full-suspension so maybe I'll take the leap...I'm sure I won't regret it

So beyond the history of my bike buying I'm looking at the two bikes below - I'm hoping to find the Trek to test today...I've ridden the Specialized and liked it

Does the different style / type of rear suspension mean one is better than the other or is it a preference thing? Once again I call on the knowledge of the fine folks here at MTBr - If I can get some feedback before I make my 50th and FINAL bike hunting excursion I think I'll have a bike TODAY! As my friend Wayne said..."Time to pony up"

FSRXC EXPERT
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33103

Fuel EX 6.5
http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/fuel_ex/fuelex65/

Thanks again Everybody and hope your 4th was a good one! :thumbsup:

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Where do you live? What type of terrain do you ride? How tall are you? If going hardtail, get a Specialized 29er if that is the shop you are going to use.

G

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
That FSRxc is a VERY nice bike; and pretty tough to boot. The best part about Specialized FSR equipped frames, in my opinion, is the lack of maintenance required on the pivots. My much older 2003 Enduro has never required pivot maintenance; I downhill with it, ride thru mud, deep water, everything ... and, according to my GPS, has a little over 10,000km on it (essentially zero road riding).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.