Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I'm getting shut down on the Kona - I can't find anybody in the San Diego area that has a Caldera on hand to test ride :madman: - The best I can do is drive 150mi roundtrip to test one but that isn't happening - Maybe I'm not suppose to have that bike - So the quest continues and I'm going to try to locate a Gary Fisher locally to see what we think of them...and test ride

So again I'm getting back into MTBing and I'm looking to get a bike for some off road fun...and exercise - I'm 5'11" @ 210lbs with plans on losing a few with the activity - I also want a bike that I can grow into and enjoy as I get better with no regrets in a few months

I found that the Gary Fisher website has a comparison page and I've picked 3 bikes to compare - Tassajara / Piranha / Marlin Disc - The comparison between the bikes as I look at them looks very similar with the price being only $200 from the Marlin to the Tassajara - So again I ask you fine folks here at MTBr.com for some advice and help with this comparison

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/compare/components/tassajara/piranha/marlin-disc/

Thanks again and have a happy and SAFE 4th o' July!!! :cornut:

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Happy 4th to you as well...Anyways, have you taken either of those for a test ride yet? You might not like the fisher genesis geometry...it does stretch you out a bit more than most due to the long top tubes. Anyhow, I have an 08 tassajara and love it. I think you would be better suited to spend the extra couple hundred and get that one. I am about the same height as you and weigh in at around 195. The good thing about the Tass is that it has the Tora 302 soloair fork on it which would be better for a guy of your size. The tora forks also have 32 mm upper tubes as opposed to the 28 mm on the dart fork that comes with the marlin and the larger tubes would be better for someone that is bigger. I would say you cannot go wrong with either of them. They all have the same very strong frame its just a matter of the component grouping. The piranha has mostly sram components whereas the tass is mostly shimano. I tried them both out when I got mine and liked the way the Tass shifted better. I also prefer the trigger finger and thumb rapidshifters(you can use just your thumbs though if you prefer..shimano deore are dual action) as opposed to the dual thumb shifters on the pirahna. But definitely locate any of those bikes with the same frame to see if it would be comfortable for you. Good luck with the search. Oh and also the tassajara matte black paint is pretty badass and you can probably pick up a sweet deal on an 08 right now since the 09s should be rolling in shortly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The GF's you are looking at are nice bikes, I would have purchased an 08 Marlin Disc if I could find it in my size, but nothing near LA. If you do find an 08 GF that you like, I recommend buying it, there are no more at the warehouses, everyone is nearly sold out, and the 09's are looking at a 20% price increase from what a couple of LBS have said. I wish you the best in finding your bike, let us know what you decide!

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
I have an '08 Marlin disc. It was my first real MTB and I liked it a lot at first. After riding awhile I found that it had a tendency to want to throw me over the bars when going downhill. In 1.5 months of riding I went over 3 times and had too many near misses to count. I think a better front fork or stiffer spring would've helped.

I also found the Genesis geometry made the front end light & difficult to control when climbing. I was starting to get that figured out when I had to take it in to the shop for some warranty work. The rear hub had developed a lot of slop & there were a couple other minor issues that I let the shop take care of. They had my bike for three weeks. :madman:

While they had it I started looking at full suspension bikes & pulled the trigger on an Ibex Asta X9 & haven't regretted it for one minute. I gave the GF to my son when I got it back.

Keep in mind that these are my personal experiences and that many people love the GF bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.