Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So it's my first post on the forum and hopefully some of you guys and girls could help me out with my questions! I look forward to learning and expanding my knowledge through this forum in the next couple of years; seems to be pretty informative!

I'm in the market for a new bike and can't really put my finger on one partiucular model.. I don't want to spend much more than $500 and have a few in mind. I've searched and compared specs, but quite frankly I am not an expert, and I wouldn't know the difference to its full knowledge-based potential. I'm 6'3, 230, so I definitely need a sturdy frame, at least a 20"-21" and I would like it to be a Hardtail bike. Just purely because I fell that until you get into the really expensive full-suspended bikes the rear shock isn't up to par. Currently I have a Schwinn S25; nothing special, but it gets the job done decently.. But I want more, so these are the models I have in mind...

--Giant Rincon

--Specialized Hardrock Sport or Disc?

--Trek 4300

I am definitely open to suggestions on other bikes but I am partial to these models.. The giant is my preference as of right now followed in consecutive order are my other choices. Pro's and Con's, Cheap upgrades and general advice would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I am 6'2" 220 pounds and my buddy is 6'1-6'2" and 200ish he just bought a $600 MTB.... I happened to be with him at the Trek store and noticed that the top tube on the Trek 5500 was either very short or my Cannondales is very long.

They never seem to have any XL frames to test ride so be careful they dont stick you on whatever they stock.

as far as durability I cant really help but at the $500-600 price point they all seemed very similar to me so worry more about fit than strength, also double check that the front fork can be set stiff enough for your weigh, you may need to do a spring swap so either work it into your deal or keep the cost in mind

FYI he ended up with the 2009 Trek 5500 for $620 (with tax and 2 pair of bike shorts), Dart 3 fork vs. Gila or Suntour he was finding on most of the others in this price, basically he gave up disk brakes for a better fork and to be honest the Techtro?? and Avid BB5's that are speced on more $500-600 bikes didnt really feel so hot anyway

Ray

Yamaha72 said:
Hello all! So it's my first post on the forum and hopefully some of you guys and girls could help me out with my questions! I look forward to learning and expanding my knowledge through this forum in the next couple of years; seems to be pretty informative!

I'm in the market for a new bike and can't really put my finger on one partiucular model.. I don't want to spend much more than $500 and have a few in mind. I've searched and compared specs, but quite frankly I am not an expert, and I wouldn't know the difference to its full knowledge-based potential. I'm 6'3, 230, so I definitely need a sturdy frame, at least a 20"-21" and I would like it to be a Hardtail bike. Just purely because I fell that until you get into the really expensive full-suspended bikes the rear shock isn't up to par. Currently I have a Schwinn S25; nothing special, but it gets the job done decently.. But I want more, so these are the models I have in mind...

--Giant Rincon

--Trek 4300

I am definitely open to suggestions on other bikes but I am partial to these models.. The giant is my preference as of right now followed in consecutive order are my other choices. Pro's and Con's, Cheap upgrades and general advice would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might want to look into a Marin B-17, I rode one until I bought a Reign X, they're wonderful for trail riding. Good spec for the price, they're not produced anymore but can be found new still.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dogonfr said:
What Yamaha were you riding in '72?? :thumbsup:
Haha, no Yamaha here in '72.. Just my common forum name, i'm pretty avid in the ATV world; ride a well built '03 Raptor 660 and my favorite # just so happens to be 72..

Halfrican said:
Cannondale F5, Specialized P1
Checked those two models out but there a little out of my price range, especially the
specialized..$940:eekster: But I have to say, that cannondale is Nioce :yesnod:

zech said:
Might want to look into a Marin B-17, I rode one until I bought a Reign X, they're wonderful for trail riding. Good spec for the price, they're not produced anymore but can be found new still.
I researched those for a little, seems like it received good reviews on here in the review section, but, unfortunately all I could find were old Craiglist ads FTL!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The P1's are mostly dirt jumper bikes... The P1 you may like is the P1 ALL MOUNTAIN $500-600 its a more well rounded bike than the other P1's

I never bought a thing from this place it was just the first example that came up in a search, I would rather go to the LBS
http://mikesbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=47838

Ray

Yamaha72 said:
Haha, no Yamaha here in '72.. Just my common forum name, i'm pretty avid in the ATV world; ride a well built '03 Raptor 660 and my favorite # just so happens to be 72..

Checked those two models out but there a little out of my price range, especially the
specialized..$940:eekster: But I have to say, that cannondale is Nioce :yesnod:

I researched those for a little, seems like it received good reviews on here in the review section, but, unfortunately all I could find were old Craiglist ads FTL!

·
Platforms For Life
203 Posts
That is what I meant, the P1 all-mountain. The Cannondale is a little out of your price range, but it is a great all-around hardtail frame with good components. Check out the P1 all-mountain if you can. I don't think it will get any better if you aren't willing to budge on price.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40346&eid=103

I personally wouldn't get anything less than Deore as far as components go, or Dart 2 as far as the fork goes. It might be worth waiting a little while to save some more. Unless you like bottoming out while ghost shifting at the same time =P

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Yamaha72 said:
:lol: Cool :cornut: I used to race 3 wheelers in the early 80's plus a couple motos on the original RM125. As Lee Likes Bikes would say Brapp!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I figured that was the one you where talking about, looks like a real nice bike for the money... Spec should have picked a different name though.

Halfrican said:
That is what I meant, the P1 all-mountain. The Cannondale is a little out of your price range, but it is a great all-around hardtail frame with good components. Check out the P1 all-mountain if you can. I don't think it will get any better if you aren't willing to budge on price.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40346&eid=103

I personally wouldn't get anything less than Deore as far as components go, or Dart 2 as far as the fork goes. It might be worth waiting a little while to save some more. Unless you like bottoming out while ghost shifting at the same time =P

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yamaha72 said:
--Giant Rincon

--Trek 4300

id say go with an GT avalanche 2.0, or if you can get a deal somewhere a 1.0 it`l be about the same price as a hardrock disk,

but as far as the specialized, a disk is a disk no matter what its got some advantages, although i doubt there is more stopping power in the disks than the Vbrakes in the sport version... other than that im pretty sure they are so similar that you would never notice. The hardrock has a fairly relaxed ride feel, but the ride height also feels really high for me... im not sure if its because my gt has a certain feel.. anyway, the handling is fairly good, its a decent bike for the money.. still i think there are better.

the trek ...im pretty sure it has the exact same specs down to the fork and everything, same with a GT 2.0, treks handle pretty well, i like the ride more on a trek than a specialized. but thats totally personal preference..

·
Platforms For Life
203 Posts
I had a Trek 4500, the bottom bracket was so low I couldn't even pedal in most singletrack with a groove worn in. Not very confidence inspiring when you are constantly worried about hitting your pedals on little rocks.

·
Is dang happy!
1,383 Posts

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Imo

Dart 2/3 are the most basic forks from RS and not anything spectacular. Yes you can put a heavy spring in it, but why not look at a Tora, beefier stantions and a better fork for your size. I would look at the Diamondback Response Comp, $700, comes with a RS Tora, x5 drivetrain, splined cranks, BB5 discs, Beefy sun ditch witch rims and solid frame. This bike can do it all and is great stock out the door. If you can not swing the price, go with the Response Sport at $450, just put on some alloy pedals, and save up for a better fork once you put some miles on it, again, the RS Tora is a great buy for $200ish. But why not go for the Comp. More bang for your buck! I would recommend that you might want to upgrade the front rotor to a 8 inch and get a bb7 front caliper, pretty inexpensive and worth every penny!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
What's going on, haven't heard from you in a bit. How's life?
Wholly crack whore my son lives!!!! Doin awesome here need to ride more N work less though. :devil: Cleaned the back yard to expose the pump track last week now need to do repairs and upgrades. Getting ready to order a NS Surge-2 frame for a FR/DH/Pump Track HT project. What ya think?? :thumbsup: https://www.bti-usa.com/public/manufacturer/NS/BK

Funny i have been talking about you this last week and walla!!, hows school treating you?? hope your kickin arz bringin me home some A+'s. Did you get my email about the article I did on Spadout?? MoM was extremely helpful on that. :cornut:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.