Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Have you ridden both bikes? That will probably be the biggest factor, is how well you fit and how well the bike handles with you on it. Even though the Performance page seems to have some contradictions as to the drivetrain spec (the description says SX5 24 speed, but the specs say SX5 and XT 27 speed) so I am not sure what exactly is going on with that (SX5 shifters and XT derailleur are not compatible by the way). Either way, both are solid bikes. The Iron Horse has a little nicer fork, but that Tora is very good and worked well for me on my old hardtail.

If you have not ridden both bikes, go ahead and check them out in person. I don't know how the Performance shops are in your neck of the woods, but here in central Texas they aren't the greatest as far as their level of expertise. You may (or may not) receive better service from a smaller, privately owned shop. Scope it out and see what vibe you get.

I think either bike you choose will make for a great XC hardtail. I used to work at a shop that was a Kona and Iron Horse dealer and they both make awesome bikes. I was more partial to the Kona geometry, but that is why you need to ride both bikes.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man...throw this Ibex in the mix and it just gets harder

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

DAMN!

Thanks for the info BB...I'm hoping to get the rides in this weekend - I too was questioning the drive train on the Iron Horse...didn't seem right - Anyway thanks again!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You didn't mention your weight. I'm from the ol' skool and still believe coil forks are better for heavy riders, although many say the tech of today says it's OK for heavy riders to ride air forks.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
If it matters at all, I have an '04 Caldera and I like it. Good components for the price, and has been pretty solid for me. Far from the best stuff you can get, but it did the job.

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again folks!

My weight is...now 210...but looking to trim it with the riding

Good to hear the older Kona's are solid...they seem to be keeping that going

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Yes, Kona bikes are very solid. Sometimes they are criticized for being chunky, heavy, etc. Their design philosophy is deeply rooted in the area from which the company is headquartered. In order to survive in a rugged environment, they must be built a bit stronger, thus heavier. If you want a feather-weight, spend more and get an XC racer. Pretty much any hardtail in the $1000 price range is going to weigh in around 28-30 lbs. For those north of the 200 mark, bicycle weight is of little true worry.

A funny story from yesterday. I was buying a new stem to replace the funky adjustable stem on my new road bike. I went in to the shop here in town that sells bikes and skiing stuff and the guy asked if I was ditching the adjustable stem because of its weight. I laughed and said "Dude, I weigh 260. An extra couple of ounces is the least of my worries. I could do a lot more skipping a few trips to Whataburger." My road bike weighs somewhere in the 27 lbs range anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.